Twitter: Sturm doesn't want us to forget Cowboys missed playoffs because of these things from 2019

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Anyone who puts the blame for a win or a loss on just one unit is a dummy.
That is a case by case determination. The game where Rodger's Packers beat Dak's Cowboys in the playoffs was the fault of the Cowboys defense. So, there are games where the failure of just one unit can cost you the game. But I do agree with you that in general, it takes all three phases of the game to do their job in order to be successful.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're repeating yourself.

With your vast football acumen that's all you have.
You are repeating yourself telling Rocky he is repeating himself. It's time to let it go. You have both had your say.

12+88=7

Reaction score
You are repeating yourself telling Rocky he is repeating himself. It's time to let it go. You have both had your say.

By me saying "he's repeating himself" it's about calling people names and not debating the opposing view points being made by others.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
By me saying "he's repeating himself" it's about calling people names and not debating the opposing view points being made by others.
So you have said what you have to say. Now you want to explain it to others? Doesn't sound like you are moving on. Rocky is well established in his ways. You either agree with him or you don't. You won't move that Rock though by pointing out your observations of his ways. You can be the rightest observer but you are still wrong to think it's going to matter. Moving on is the only solution. Let the mods handle the rest.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Cowboys were 20th in the league in average starting field position in 2019 with their average starting position being the 27.9 yard line, we were also 19th in points scored per drive, the team starting with the 12 best field postion was the dolphins starting at the 29.4 yard line they were 27th in points scored per drive, the Buffalo Bills were 10th in starting field position starting at the 29.7 yard line, they were 30th in the league in points per drive you are putting more emphasis on a point that really doesn't deserve it. Arizona cardinals also had better average starting field position than us but finished 32nd in the league in points per drive, same with Washington and the Vikings. Our offensive let downs had nothing to do with our starting field position. We just weren't as good an offense as alot think, we took advantage of some terrible teams early on and some easy 4th quarter stats in games were already out of and were exposed against some of the better teams in the league

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/amjnxs/data_average_starting_field_position_vs_points/

That link you posted was for 2018. Not 2019. All your stats are wrong.

Hard to take your conclusion seriously when you’re using data from the wrong season.

The cowboys were 30th in starting field position and 4th in points per drive last season.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/overall-drive-statsoff/2019

The offense scored 4th highest in points per drive last year, despite having horrible field position thanks to god awful special teams. Not to mention having a kicker who needed to be cut mid season from missing too many kicks. Maher only made 66% of his kicks which is dreadful.

But by all means it was totally the offenses fault.

You hate to see it.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Dallas special teams were the worst in the NFL, absolutely.

But when the opposition scores 17 points or less, it's usually about the offense and not about the plays special teams or the defense didn't make.

You do realize that a team can lose a game, and it be the fault of all 3 phases right? Just like they can win a game and it can be because of all 3 phases.

It’s not black and white. It’s not an either or. The cowboys lost a bunch of games where they scored more than 17 points too. The cowboys were 1 win away from making the playoffs. You do the math.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That is a case by case determination. The game where Rodger's Packers beat Dak's Cowboys in the playoffs was the fault of the Cowboys defense. So, there are games where the failure of just one unit can cost you the game. But I do agree with you that in general, it takes all three phases of the game to do their job in order to be successful.
There are some games like that but not many.

shabazz

Reaction score
Anyone who puts the blame for a win or a loss on just one unit is a dummy.

Much respect for the Rock. Unlike most of us,he can clearly handle 3 units at a time. That's superior multitasking and the will to commit to the craft

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obivously you were blind during the last Dec 22 Philly game.....just pick a quarter & watch

No....I get it. I just want some clear physical evidence. Not just from one game but a composite...showing the scope of it. When I say "Dak isn't consistently accurate" in a top QB way...I wan't to demonstrate it, not just say it or tell someone "go look at ______"

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are some games like that but not many.

There are many "what ifs" in any win or loss. One of the exception, in my head, is when Demarco Murray fumbled the ball on an easy run into the end zone. A critical play that was 14 point swing...at least. We didn't score, they did AND they got the ball to start the second half and scored. I think we lost that game because of one play.

12+88=7

Reaction score
There are many "what ifs" in any win or loss. One of the exception, in my head, is when Demarco Murray fumbled the ball on an easy run into the end zone. A critical play that was 14 point swing...at least. We didn't score, they did AND they got the ball to start the second half and scored. I think we lost that game because of one play.

There were many plays after the fumble, including the infamous catch/no catch that would have given Dallas the lead.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
)
Thanks Bob, what a way to remind us. Hopefully the new defense will prevent that in the future.

10 Points vs the Saints
9 Points vs the Eagles(3 FG for the division)
0 Points at the half vs the Packers
9 Points in 3 Q vs the Jets
9 Points vs the Pats
15 Points vs the Bills
7 Points in 3 Q vs the Bears

Ya man it's the Defense fault why we ended up 8-8.....:huh:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
coaching staff fail from top; to bottom is the reason for the dallas cowboys missing the playoffs last season with the talent they had they should of won at least 11 or 12 games the clown coaching staff was abysmal that's the reason theyare all gone mostly

While the coaching staff was a disaster, missing the playoffs last year falls on the FO.

Ignored the Safety position again, gambled poorly on our 2nd round pick, and when even the oblivious Garrett was ready to move on from Maher, the FO stepped in and demanded Maher was fine. He missed kicks in 10 straight games.

starfan1

Reaction score
During this whole thread no players names have been mentioned, only blame has been placed on units or coaching.

YOU now have an agenda and have come to the support of Prescott when no one said he was to blame.

Lose the Prescott agenda and respond to the actual post made.
You are one of the last people who need to discuss agenda you need to make sure you can keep pappy healthy and happy because as long as he’s kicking there’s someone who likes Dak less than you. What on my post was not true?

12+88=7

Reaction score
You are one of the last people who need to discuss agenda you need to make sure you can keep pappy healthy and happy because as long as he’s kicking there’s someone who likes Dak less than you. What on my post was not true?

When have I said anything about Prescott? When?

It hasn't happened. You're making it up.

The part of your post that is untrue is making an argument against the offense is a shot at the QB. It's the the entire offense that failed multiple times in huge games and situations.

You are the one who needs to get past their Prescott agenda.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Being 0-3 against Darnold, Trubisky and Allen shows the defensive issues the Cowboys have and why the focus will be on defense in the draft. Neither of those QBs were efficient during the regular season but had very efficient games against us.

starfan1

Reaction score
When have I said anything about Prescott? When?

It hasn't happened. You're making it up.

The part of your post that is untrue is making an argument against the offense is a shot at the QB. It's the the entire offense that failed multiple times in huge games and situations.

You are the one who needs to get past their Prescott agenda.
dude do we need to go back through all the threads and see your disdain for Prescott? You have been plenty vocal about it.And i make no bones about my Prescott agenda. When he screws up I say that he does but unlike many i look at the complete picture and know that it usually is more than 1 culprit. Its funny how your anti Prescott agenda was quick to respond to me. That's pretty much a telling sign. Like I said our issues are much bigger than the QB position. #1 offense in the league and like mentioned earlier 3 QB's with 2 minimal success all season look like all pros against this defense.

12+88=7

Reaction score
dude do we need to go back through all the threads and see your disdain for Prescott? You have been plenty vocal about it.And i make no bones about my Prescott agenda. When he screws up I say that he does but unlike many i look at the complete picture and know that it usually is more than 1 culprit. Its funny how your anti Prescott agenda was quick to respond to me. That's pretty much a telling sign. Like I said our issues are much bigger than the QB position. #1 offense in the league and like mentioned earlier 3 QB's with 2 minimal success all season look like all pros against this defense.

The reason I was quick to respond to you was because you were the first to try and turn the thread into a Prescott thread. I told you stick to the points being made on the thread. The real tellingly sign was you trying to input Prescott into the conversation.

Secondly, you're lying when you say I have disdain for Prescott on other threads. You know why? Because my style of writing never speaks about players, any player.

You will never hear Elliott is fat and overrated, Cooper is a quitter, Witten is a fossil, Lawrence is overpaid, Smith is a bust, Heath sucks, Garrett must go, and so on that many other posters speak like. It's not me. I speak about the team in general, in schemes.

Last year I said that I would like to have a more passing offense to out score teams(average 30+ points) instead of running and playing defense to keep games close and win in the 4th quarter. In Dallas's 8 wins this looked like a winning formula. But this offense didn't show up in their 8 losses(37 ppg in wins, 17 in losses). Had Dallas come close to averaging 30 points a game in losses, Dallas would have been favorites to win the Super Bowl, not just the pretenders that they were.

But this was of course taken as a swipe at Prescott when it really was a philosophical difference.

The same thing this year. I keep reading how terrible the defense was. So I looked at the 8 losses and lo and behold, it was the offense that was more a contributor to the losses than the defense. I expressed these thoughts on multiple threads to dispel this myth that the defense was the problem.

So if I make a statement as "the Dallas offense is the most inconsistent in the NFL", it's not about the offense, it's a swipe at Prescott. I don't have a problem, but you see how you do.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
That link you posted was for 2018. Not 2019. All your stats are wrong.

Hard to take your conclusion seriously when you’re using data from the wrong season.

The cowboys were 30th in starting field position and 4th in points per drive last season.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/overall-drive-statsoff/2019

The offense scored 4th highest in points per drive last year, despite having horrible field position thanks to god awful special teams. Not to mention having a kicker who needed to be cut mid season from missing too many kicks. Maher only made 66% of his kicks which is dreadful.

But by all means it was totally the offenses fault.

You hate to see it.

Your right i did post the wrong link my mistake and i did look at the link you posted too but didn't use that link because they only base the starting field position as "LOS/KO represents average starting field position (line of scrimmage) following a kickoff. " It doesn't include average field position after punts too just kickoffs. If you think that our offense was hindered by starting field position after a kickoff you are reaching, but what you are saying doesn't change anything, if they were 30th then it sure didn't hurt them being 4th in points scored, what part of that is hard to understand? You look for anyone and anything to blame except our offense who dissappeared all to often this past season. In our 8 losses this season our mighty offense only scored 136 points or 17 per game and even that stat is skewed by all the garbage time points we picked up in games against the Packers, Bears, Jets etc. Your not winning many games in the NFL averaging 17 points per game (in losses i know) we beat up the bad teams very well but were over matched against the better teams. The Saints, Bills, Pats, Eagles (last game) we scored a combined 43 points, that is less than 11 points per game but you want to blame special teams...lol. I wonder how many times in NFL history the #1 ranked offense in the NFL missed the playoffs with the #9 ranked D in the NFL? but by all means it was totally the fault of our special teams

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense