Twitter: Sturm doesn't want us to forget Cowboys missed playoffs because of these things from 2019

glimmerman

Reaction score
Your right i did post the wrong link my mistake and i did look at the link you posted too but didn't use that link because they only base the starting field position as "LOS/KO represents average starting field position (line of scrimmage) following a kickoff. " It doesn't include average field position after punts too just kickoffs. If you think that our offense was hindered by starting field position after a kickoff you are reaching, but what you are saying doesn't change anything, if they were 30th then it sure didn't hurt them being 4th in points scored, what part of that is hard to understand? You look for anyone and anything to blame except our offense who dissappeared all to often this past season. In our 8 losses this season our mighty offense only scored 136 points or 17 per game and even that stat is skewed by all the garbage time points we picked up in games against the Packers, Bears, Jets etc. Your not winning many games in the NFL averaging 17 points per game (in losses i know) we beat up the bad teams very well but were over matched against the better teams. The Saints, Bills, Pats, Eagles (last game) we scored a combined 43 points, that is less than 11 points per game but you want to blame special teams...lol. I wonder how many times in NFL history the #1 ranked offense in the NFL missed the playoffs with the #9 ranked D in the NFL? but by all means it was totally the fault of our special teams

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense
Not trying to jump in the middle of this but it’s a team game. We needed to win sometimes in all 3 phases. 1 ranked Offense and what was it, 9 ranked Defense. I find that 9 ranked Defense suspect. Lol. But almost dead last on ST.

Did we get ranked 1 on Offense for yards traveled. Is there a average of where we started our drives from. Did we get a lot of penalties on kick off returns. It seems like we always started drives from deep in our own territory. And one miscue or bad pass or dropped pass or penalty killed drives right outside FG range or our 66% kicker missed everything that wasn’t 60+ yards out. Lol. Our Defense didn’t seem to get a lot of 3 and outs we gave up first downs and when we stopped them they punted and pinned us deep because we had no punt returner.

Then of course there was games that our Offense stunk it up. No excuse for our Offense to be shut down.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Not trying to jump in the middle of this but it’s a team game. We needed to win sometimes in all 3 phases. 1 ranked Offense and what was it, 9 ranked Defense. I find that 9 ranked Defense suspect. Lol. But almost dead last on ST.

Did we get ranked 1 on Offense for yards traveled. Is there a average of where we started our drives from. Did we get a lot of penalties on kick off returns. It seems like we always started drives from deep in our own territory. And one miscue or bad pass or dropped pass or penalty killed drives right outside FG range or our 66% kicker missed everything that wasn’t 60+ yards out. Lol. Our Defense didn’t seem to get a lot of 3 and outs we gave up first downs and when we stopped them they punted and pinned us deep because we had no punt returner.

Then of course there was games that our Offense stunk it up. No excuse for our Offense to be shut down.

I agree it is a team game but stats are stats we were the 9th ranked overall D in yards allowed we were 10th in passing yards allowed and 11th in rushing yards allowed and 11th in total points allowed. Only place we were lacking was in turnovers we ranked 25th with 17 turnovers on D but as a team we were -1 for the season as the offense turned it over 18 times. The stats say our D was much more consistant than our offense. Now if somebody wants to use stats regarding field position and special teams then that same person has to answer to what the stats say about our D and our offense. Again and i don't know the answer to this but i would be willing to bet that very few teams in the history of the NFL have missed the playoffs with a #1 ranked offense and the # 9 ranked D. If you ask me it was not the D that was suspect last season it was the offense

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree it is a team game but stats are stats we were the 9th ranked overall D yards allowed we were 10th in passing yards allowed and 11th in rushing yards allowed and 11th in total points allowed. Only place we were lacking was in turnovers we ranked 25th with 17 turnovers on D but as a team we were -1 for the season as the offense turned it over 18 times. The stats say our D was much more consistant than our offense. Now if somebody wants to use stats regarding field position and special teams then that same person has to answer to what the stats say about our D and our offense
Is there stats that tell average starting field position for drives. We moved the ball a lot but had so many drives that ended in a drive killing penalty or bad pass or dropped pass or missed FG. Some of this had to do with having to drive so many yards per drive. Dak threw for almost 5000 yards and yet we fail to score many points.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Is there stats that tell average starting field position for drives. We moved the ball a lot but had so many drives that ended in a drive killing penalty or bad pass or dropped pass or missed FG. Some of this had to do with having to drive so many yards per drive. Dak threw for almost 5000 yards and yet we fail to score many points.

I posted a stat earlier but it was for 2018 i thought it was for 2019 when i posted it but still it is a good yardstick to measure the effect it has (which really isn't alot when you look at it carefully) here i'll post it again

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/amjnxs/data_average_starting_field_position_vs_points/

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I agree it is a team game but stats are stats we were the 9th ranked overall D in yards allowed we were 10th in passing yards allowed and 11th in rushing yards allowed and 11th in total points allowed. Only place we were lacking was in turnovers we ranked 25th with 17 turnovers on D but as a team we were -1 for the season as the offense turned it over 18 times. The stats say our D was much more consistant than our offense. Now if somebody wants to use stats regarding field position and special teams then that same person has to answer to what the stats say about our D and our offense. Again and i don't know the answer to this but i would be willing to bet that very few teams in the history of the NFL have missed the playoffs with a #1 ranked offense and the # 9 ranked D. If you ask me it was not the D that was suspect last season it was the offense
Hilarious. Didn’t the Cowboys have the #1 rated offense in the entire NFL last year? :lmao2:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I posted a stat earlier but it was for 2018 i thought it was for 2019 when i posted it but still it is a good yardstick to measure the effect it has (which really isn't alot when you look at it carefully) here i'll post it again

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/amjnxs/data_average_starting_field_position_vs_points/
2019 we were ranked 30th in starting field position. There is a lot more stats that go into it for sure but just pointing out we had to travel further than most for points. And the missed FG really upset me. After a long drive that stalled your FG kicker shouldn’t have a problem making these kicks. Just takes the wind right out of a teams sails when you get nothing. Not the only reason we were 8-8. Was a very strange year.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
2019 we were ranked 30th in starting field position. There is a lot more stats that go into it for sure but just pointing out we had to travel further than most for points. And the missed FG really upset me. After a long drive that stalled your FG kicker shouldn’t have a problem making these kicks. Just takes the wind right out of a teams sails when you get nothing. Not the only reason we were 8-8. Was a very strange year.

That field position stat was only for starting field position after kickoffs only, it's really a meaningless stat. If your team constantly takes a knee you start at the 25 yard line if one team runs oone back for a TD or to the opposing team 10 the stat can get skewed

glimmerman

Reaction score
That field position stat was only for starting field position after kickoffs only, it's really a meaningless stat. If your team constantly takes a knee you start at the 25 yard line if one team runs oone back for a kickoff the stat can get skewed
Ok I thought it was for punts also. That’s the stat I want to see. But even with kickoffs we were still 30th. Started average after kickoffs at the 26.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Has to be worse than 2018.

it might have been but if you look at 2018 closely for all teams field position had no real bearing on points scored per drive the stats were all over the place some teams with the best starting field postiion scored the fewest points some teams with the worst starting field position scored the most. The reason is because your not talking about a huge difference in starting field position for most teams usually 1-3 yards. You can't tell me that starting at your 25 yard line makes a huge difference in your season as opposed to starting at your 26 or 27 yard line

glimmerman

Reaction score
it might have been but if you look at 2018 closely for all teams field position had no real bearing on points scored per drive the stats were all over the place some teams with the best starting field postiion scored the fewest points some teams with the worst starting field position scored the most. The reason is because your not talking about a huge difference in starting field position for most teams usually 1-3 yards. You can't tell me that starting at your 25 yard line makes a huge difference in your season as opposed to starting at your 26 or 27 yard line
I don’t know what the position was. 1 or 2 yards no. But 10 yards then yes. Getting first downs in the NFL isn’t easy. It’s a team game and I believe a better ST to go with a #1 Offense and top 10 Defense would taken us to the playoffs. No one player is to blame. But when the ST stinks and your HC is a lame duck it causes problems.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t know what the position was. 1 or 2 yards no. But 10 yards then yes. Getting first downs in the NFL isn’t easy. It’s a team game and I believe a better ST to go with a #1 Offense and top 10 Defense would taken us to the playoffs. No one player is to blame. But when the ST stinks and your HC is a lame duck it causes problems.

10 yards would be a big deal but in that stat the difference between 1st and 32nd is 6 yards, but for most teams say from 3rd to 29th the difference is only about 3 yards max on average and if you were to look at the 29th team in starting field position which were Falcons they were tied for 4th in most points scored per drive or the Bills who were 10th in starting field position but 30th in points scored per drive. Tampa Bay was tied for 30th in field position with the Bills but was 10th in points scored per drive, The Dolphins were 12th in starting field position but 27th in points scored per drive and the Steelers were 32nd in starting field postion but 10th in points scored per drive. I don't really think starting field position is that big a deal for most teams because generally they are all within a 2-3 yards of each other except maybe for the top couple of teams

HungryLion

Reaction score
Your right i did post the wrong link my mistake and i did look at the link you posted too but didn't use that link because they only base the starting field position as "LOS/KO represents average starting field position (line of scrimmage) following a kickoff. " It doesn't include average field position after punts too just kickoffs. If you think that our offense was hindered by starting field position after a kickoff you are reaching, but what you are saying doesn't change anything, if they were 30th then it sure didn't hurt them being 4th in points scored, what part of that is hard to understand? You look for anyone and anything to blame except our offense who dissappeared all to often this past season. In our 8 losses this season our mighty offense only scored 136 points or 17 per game and even that stat is skewed by all the garbage time points we picked up in games against the Packers, Bears, Jets etc. Your not winning many games in the NFL averaging 17 points per game (in losses i know) we beat up the bad teams very well but were over matched against the better teams. The Saints, Bills, Pats, Eagles (last game) we scored a combined 43 points, that is less than 11 points per game but you want to blame special teams...lol. I wonder how many times in NFL history the #1 ranked offense in the NFL missed the playoffs with the #9 ranked D in the NFL? but by all means it was totally the fault of our special teams

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense

Not only did you post the wrong link. Your entire argument was based off the wrong information.

period

If you don’t think poor starting field position affects an offenses scoring. Idk what to tell you. That’s football 101 and If you don’t understand it. I can teach it to you.

I’m blaming both the offense and defense and special teams. I am blaming the whole team. I have said that clearly. Again if you can’t read and understand that basic concept. I can’t help you with that either. I’m not a middle school English teacher.

I’ll say it one more time though and then I’m done arguing it. If you don’t think field position is important. That’s just a basic lack of football knowledge. If you don’t think special teams are important that’s a basic lack of football knowledge. If you don’t think forcing turnovers is important. That’s a basic lack of football knowledge. If you don’t think a kicker, missing way too many kicks affects a teams chance of winning. That’s a basic lack of football knowledge.

I’ve already said that the offense having some down games and only scoring in the teens or lower also cost the team some games. I’m just not going to blame the entire season on the offense when the special teams crapped the bed All season long and the defense crapped the bed in a bunch of games also. I’m also going to continue to call the defense out for not creating enough turnovers which are incredibly important to winning football games.

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Not only did you post the wrong link. Your entire argument was based off the wrong information.

period

If you don’t think poor starting field position affects an offenses scoring. Idk what to tell you. That’s football 101 and If you don’t understand it. I can teach it to you.

I’m blaming both the offense and defense and special teams. I am blaming the whole team. I have said that clearly. Again if you can’t read and understand that basic concept. I can’t help you with that either. I’m not a middle school English teacher.

I’ll say it one more time though and then I’m done arguing it. If you don’t think field position is important. That’s just a basic lack of football knowledge. If you don’t think special teams are important that’s a basic lack of football knowledge. If you don’t think forcing turnovers is important. That’s a basic lack of football knowledge. If you don’t think a kicker, missing way too many kicks affects a teams chance of winning. That’s a basic lack of football knowledge.

I’ve already said that the offense having some down games and only scoring in the teens or lower also cost the team some games. I’m just not going to blame the entire season on the offense when the special teams crapped the bed All season long and the defense crapped the bed in a bunch of games also. I’m also going to continue to call the defense out for not creating enough turnovers which are incredibly important to winning football games.

What part of the stat you posted don't you understand? The field position posted in your stat is starting field position after kickoffs only, as for general starting field position is seems by the stat i posted even if it was only for 2018 because i couldn't find the one for 2019 would seem to indicate that your starting field position generally has no relation to how many points you score per drive, want to argue it i will be happy to. If you start every drive at your 5-10 yard line then yes it will make a difference if you start most of your drives at your 25 yard line and another team starts most of theirs at their 29 yard line it doesn't make a difference, want to know why? I'll tell you why because your offense at your 5-10 yard line is different than your offense at your 25 yard line. Your trying to imply that the Cowboys must have started backed up on all their drives it's not true and nowhere near the truth. Your sad attempt to find and make any excuse for our offense is getting ridiculous.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's interesting reading people arguing where we start drives. Maybe it matters maybe it doesn't. But I tell you what.....there were many games in 2019 we couldn't score a GD TD no matter where we started. So F this stupid stat and argument. Drive the GD field and score a GD TD...mkay.