CFZ Sturm was dead wrong about Dak Prescott

Swagger

Reaction score
Its still more complicated than what you are all suggesting. Dak won over the locker after driving the bus to some wins. You put Romo back in and lose games and you have egg on your face and other franchises laughing at you while your locker room morale is killed.

Incoming "never let the laymen(locker room) steer the ship" comments.

Im just saying that the situation with Dak and Romo was a difficult one to navigate. Hindsight is easy to talk about. I guess the Cowboys should have let Romo play on a very short leash. We cant go back now.
So the likes of Witten and Dez would have started kicking off because Romo was throwing them the ball not Prescott? Guys like Martin, Smith and Frederick suddenly become less bothered about blocking for Romo - 2nd in the MVP voting in 2014?

A defensive veteran leader like Sean Lee would prefer Prescott?

Come on, have a day off.

There may have been a few players - particularly junior (irrelevant) members like Zeke, divided in terms of who they would prefer at QB but the veteran players, the backbone of the team would not have been against Romo coming back in.

Gator88

Reaction score
Its still more complicated than what you are all suggesting. Dak won over the locker after driving the bus to some wins. You put Romo back in and lose games and you have egg on your face and other franchises laughing at you while your locker room morale is killed.

Im just saying that the situation with Dak and Romo was a difficult one to navigate. Hindsight is easy to talk about. I guess the Cowboys should have let Romo play on a very short leash. We cant go back now.
It really wasn't difficult at all, you play the best player possible. Anybody that even entertained a different thought is not worth spending the time to discuss with.

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
I do not understand how they want to make Dak something that it is not, Dak is not and will not be the solution for this team, it is simply Jerry Jones's ego of not wanting to admit another mistake and not one of the biggest, wanting to sell Dak as the solution and overvalue an average QB. and that he is as fragile as a barbie, and still Jerry Jones clings to wanting to win this season, it is stupid, the smartest thing is to do everything possible, to have a high first-round pick, when there are at least 2 QBs of a level very high in the 2023 draft, just look at Tua, Allen, Lawrence, etc, they are spectacular, it is true that not all first-round QBs are safe, but there is more probability that a first-round QB will be a super star, Dak is a waste of time and money, and a waste of other team players' talent. Dallas is the sample of the immense mountain of ego of the Jones.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's not difficult at ALL. You start your best players...period.

You can talk about superstition and psychology all you want. But if you PLAY your BEST players...you are on solid ground.

Dak was better than Romo? Come on.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really wasn't difficult at all, you play the best player possible. Anybody that even entertained a different thought is not worth spending the time to discuss with.
You beat me to it. It's the most logical without drama or agenda. Which it appears fanofjerry has a LOT of. With all due respect of course.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
:laugh: the only people who act like the jury is out on Prescott are the small group of Cowboy fans who still believe in him.

He's had one of the NFL's best OLs and several good weapons, and yet has managed only one playoff win in 6 years. The story is over. The book is written. It's painfully obvious who and what Dak Prescott is at this point.

Go VOLS!

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah I never got that either. While clearly better than his successor, I never thought Romo was good enough enough either.
Romo has been overglorified since his retirement. He got nowhere near this much love when he was starting. He was a good not great QB.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'm trying to limit my interaction here because of the insanity...but...I did also want to chime in here. Everyone bitc....sorry complains about zeke...but he was drafted with the idea he would compliment Romo's veteran QB skills. We of course know Romo got hurt, then we found out a rookie zeke COULD carry the team with the O-line. If made a false facade that dak was a real QB. We can;t put our vet QB back in would ruin our superstitious. fake win streak.

Well...we are finally finding out what dak can do with a "regular" team NOT built around a veteran QB. Talk about squandering an opportunity. Our of "superstition"? What the.....

I know...Romo haters ALWAYS come back with "but he woulda just got hurt the next play anyway. What a CHEAP and LAZY way to think.

For one....zeke was drafted to protect and run. He did if FOR a late round rookie. But would not have been able to do it for ROMO? Bull.

And for another., DAK DID actually buy Romo time to fully heal instead of play hurt. If you think this doesn;t matter...you don't know sports and how dangerous it is to play hurt and favor the injury.

People claim this argument is less than moot. But it could be one of the worst mistakes in sports. Dak the Savior hasn;t worked out to well after all.

Could we have been better served letting Romo make that run instead? It is a LEGTIMATE question.

But but but Romo's body was done... Dak Missed 11 games in 2020 and is about to miss almost half the season this year. QBs get hurt. The idea that Romo's body was done that was perpetrated among fans was absolutely insane. Had Romo been able to come back and start the year he got hurt, I think we would have won a championship. I really do. We saw what Romo could do with DeMarco Murray, and DeMarco Murray was no Ezekiel Elliott. Our offense would have shredded teams who stacked up to stop Zeke and Romo would have eaten them alive.

Definitely one of the biggest mistakes in sports and one that was so predictable at the time.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In the Athletic, Sturm wrote an article entitled, “Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is 29, It is Time to Win.” Since we can’t post from that magazine as per the filter on this forum, I suggest you Google it and read it. The reality is Sturm has been the typical fanboy of Dak and he often took jabs at Romo at Dak’s expense. But even Sturm can’t make excuses anymore for Dak.

Sturm has been holding on for years the notion that Dak has been getting harshly criticized because Romo fans, since their boy Romk got the blame, they would make sure Dak got it worse, which is a crock of garbage, as the excuses for Romo were legitimate, while the excuses for Dak were not. In the August 12th article in the Athletic Sturm basically says Dak is 29 and he no longer has excuses.

The main point I want to emphasize, and it’s clear to anybody reading it, what “the haters” were saying is true and that “teams figured the offense out”, though in reality is was, Dak is quite possibly the most over-rated player in NFL history. Sturm points out in weeks 1 to 8, Dallas was the most blitzed team in the league. After that, teams stopped bringing the pressure and Dak didn’t see the man coverage looks regularly, and the offense took a nosedive. They were the 22nd most blitzed team after week 8 when all was said and done. Dallas offense saw just as much cover 2 and cover 3 defenses as any other team from then on. The 49ers played zone defense as a staple and could get pressure without bringing extra rushers and we all know how bad Dak looked. If it weren’t for JG almost giving them the game with one of his typical awful INTs he is known for that essentially gave Dallas the ball in scoring position the game would have been a complete blowout. Even Sturm admits the wins in the last half of the season were against bums and Eagles junior varsity team and were empty calories, per how on words.

Facts are we’ve been saying Dak sucks against zone coverage, to the point he becomes a mediocrity. What masked his warts against zone is his lack of risk-taking so he resorts to short dump offs and check-downs which use to keep the INTs down. He’s “mentally weak” as a QB. He’s been getting away with it, because teams were forced to bring pressure because of how good the OL and RG were. I was saying I don’t even know why defenses do it do much even during those days, because the data was always there. Dak is horrible at anticipating his WRs getting open and can’t process the whole field. He goes into a shell against and takes the check-down. Teams use to give way too much respect to the OL and RG to the point they made it much easier for Dak to look better than he actually was with all the explosive talent he has around him.

What do people expect Moore to do? Sturm even admitted it’s the same trend with Dak with each year, including blaming the coaches. He said what we said, which is the same red zone issues pop up and his performance of third down is abysmal. He also basically said the “young and developing QB” excuse no longer holds.

I mean yeah, this owner is dysfunctional and nothing signals dysfunction more than making Dak your franchise QB. So we can admit that Jerry Jones is a buffoon, but we can also admit Dak exemplifies the buffoonery of Jerry. We can also admit that Sturm was dead wrong about his boy Dak Prescott.
Learn some football...

khiladi

Reaction score
Learn some football...

Dak bails them out on the FIRST read on a second and 18.. Wow! Impressive elite QB play.. why isn’t Moore being praised for the right play call?

Why is 2nd and 15 going to third and ten? You mean Dak looks at his first read and runs the same slant, but this time it doesn’t count as “Dak bailing them out”, but you call it Moore’s fault?

But this time, instead of the corner playing closer on the right side, they actually play off. Predictable Dak goes to his first read again.

Third and Ten on the INT…

Terrible ball, terrible decision, terrible read (into triple coverage)per Acho’s own words..

So why we blaming Moore’s play-calling to begin seasons now, when Dak started off as “MVP” with Moore to start last season as well as in 2019?

Last edited:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Ok so now the simulation is bringing superstition into it...when it for some reason if shoving the "no guts not glory" superstition crap down my throat lately...but it cherry picks when it wants to try and manipulate you with superstition....in this current argument superstition is bad huh?

Well...i guess Romo believes in superstition because he mumbled "Its his team now" into the headset. Dak won the locker room over. It was younger locker room at the time if i remember correctly anyway. Witten was left and a few others.

Its really kind of weird. I similar situation is happening in this very team now that contradicts what you guys are trying to pull here...So are all of you Pollard or Elliot supporters? because most of this board seem to be pushing for Pollard. Put your name on it. Nobody would put their name on my QB call out thread...nobody.

The same people that cherry pick and defend on the DECISION Romo are the same people that in other threads months later log on how clutch he was and his fourth quarters or playoffs being underwhelming. You wants to keep track of these people flip-flopping...nobody. I know there are people in this thread flip-flopping when its convenient for them.

Its still comes down to it was a hard decision with so many factors muddying clarity. Its easy to call out past but not predict the future. To claim that situation was easy is beyond comical. The benched player even said it was Daks team now.

Swagger

Reaction score
Ok so now the simulation is bringing superstition into it...when it for some reason if shoving the "no guts not glory" superstition crap down my throat lately...but it cherry picks when it wants to try and manipulate you with superstition....in this current argument superstition is bad huh?

Well...i guess Romo believes in superstition because he mumbled "Its his team now" into the headset. Dak won the locker room over. It was younger locker room at the time if i remember correctly anyway. Witten was left and a few others.

Its really kind of weird. I similar situation is happening in this very team now that contradicts what you guys are trying to pull here...So are all of you Pollard or Elliot supporters? because most of this board seem to be pushing for Pollard. Put your name on it. Nobody would put their name on my QB call out thread...nobody.

The same people that cherry pick and defend on the DECISION Romo are the same people that in other threads months later log on how clutch he was and his fourth quarters or playoffs being underwhelming. You wants to keep track of these people flip-flopping...nobody. I know there are people in this thread flip-flopping when its convenient for them.

Its still comes down to it was a hard decision with so many factors muddying clarity. Its easy to call out past but not predict the future. To claim that situation was easy is beyond comical. The benched player even said it was Daks team now.
Romo said what he did in the best interests of the team to avoid further controversy and negative vibes as at that point he was aware he would not be allowed to compete for his job fairly - it's how a great leader actually acts as opposed to taking off his top and standing in the changing rooms acting as though he genuinely played his part in the team securing the W

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Romo said what he did in the best interests of the team to avoid further controversy and negative vibes as at that point he was aware he would not be allowed to compete for his job fairly - it's how a great leader actually acts as opposed to taking off his top and standing in the changing rooms acting as though he genuinely played his part in the team securing the W

Amazing spin job there

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Looks like I exposed the simulation again on cherry picking and manipulating...impressive existence.