News: Sturm's analysis chilling...Decoding Callahan: Week 2 - Kansas City Chiefs

iceman117

Reaction score
We could possibly run the ball more effectively if we tried.

It's hard to keep trying when the RB is averaging 2 yards per carry after 12 carries, he has to pick up some yards once in a while so we can keep running the ball... Don't give me the no holes crap, Dunbar had 1 carry and found a hole, too bad he can't hold onto the ball or he would be getting more carries, maybe we should try Joseph Randle out and see how he's does. Even against the Giants the stat line wasn't that bad but he left a bunch of yards on the field then too.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It's hard to keep trying when the RB is averaging 2 yards per carry after 12 carries, he has to pick up some yards once in a while so we can keep running the ball... Don't give me the no holes crap, Dunbar had 1 carry and found a hole, too bad he can't hold onto the ball or he would be getting more carries, maybe we should try Joseph Randle out and see how he's does. Even against the Giants the stat line wasn't that bad but he left a bunch of yards on the field then too.

Maybe they should run from formations that don't invite 8 defenders into the box.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Maybe they should run from formations that don't invite 8 defenders into the box.

The Red formation "tells" have been his biggest weakness. When you hear team talk about knowing what was coming, this is why.

Laundry fan

Reaction score
0-18 when we have less than 20 rushes says it all.

In today's NFL, runs don't so much lead to wins as much as wins lead to runs. These days, teams pass more through the first three qtrs to get ahead and run more late to run down the clock and keep the other offense off the field. That's just my unresearched opinion.

kramskoi

Reaction score
The last time the Cowboys won a game by more than a touchdown? December 2011, with a 31-15 victory over a hapless Tampa Bay team. That was 21 games ago.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/9/16/4735258/quick-take-cowboys-chiefs-by-the-numbers

Actually, I went back and checked. The Cowboys did win a game by more than 7 at Philadelphia [11/11/2012], with a wild 21 point 4th quarter 38 - 23.

However, there were 12 games decided by 1 - 7 points last year. The Cowboys fared a little better than the 90's squad [52%] and went 7 of 12 [58%]. The other games besides the Philadelphia win were 3 blow-out losses. So the conundrum facing the conservative Cowboys is conjuring up ways to circumvent the close game trap that affords them no better than a 50 - 60% winning chance.

If the future continues on a paradigm of close wins intermingled with blowout losses then there is little hope that the Cowboys can escape mediocrity and all its malevolent misgivings.

coult44

Reaction score
Worse Coach, Worse OC, and Worst GM in football. As positive as I am that our talent alone, and how good this defense is. I'm as negative as ever about the truth of where the problems lie!!!

Gaede

Reaction score
0-18 with fewer than 20 carries says a lot about this offense.

Wonder what the numbers are for teams around the league though.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Ive said it for years, Garrett and Romo need to be taken apart.

I will stick with Tony because he has shown far more ability to be a QB than Garrett has at being a coach.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

This is another thing that drives me crazy.

The Cowboys just love to announce to the world that we're running it and we play action out of those formations maybe once or twice a game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Amazing fact from the Sturm article: "the last time the Cowboys won a football game with fewer than 20 carries was December 9, 2007 at Detroit".
If I'm not mistaken, that was the game Witten just completely dominated and more or less got lucky to win in the last seconds.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I read yesterday that the Chiefs decided to take Witten out of the game by bracketing him from the first play on. This staff seems not to have a clue as to what to do when one weapon is taken away. Last week they took Dez out of the game and this week Witten, and it bogged down the whole offense.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Ive never understood why we don't attack the middle of the field. We basically just take out 1/3 of the field for the defense. Has anyone ever explained this?

NJ22

Reaction score
Sturm: "They don't run to grind the opponent in to a fine powder. They run because it allows them to pass with greater ease."

This is a point I've tried to pound home. Running is not unimportant. Running is important insomuch as it helps you pass.

Just to reiterate your point. Parcells took a team with Quincy Carter at QB with 17TDS and 21ints and Troy friggen Hambrick with his 3.5 YPC to the playoffs, because they ran and ran some more even when the YPC was pathetic. You still HAVE to make the Defense respect that fact that you just may run the ball. We refuse to do that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
One of the problems to our running game is our run play selection. How many times have we seen that fake reserve which took an eternity to develop, only to see very minimum gain for it? Im sick of that play because it fools no one.

Our problem with our offense is that its too complex. Heck, even Dez hasn't figured it out yet. It forces players to fit into the system rather than the system fitting the player. Lastly, Its very inefficient.

The day that we dump the playbook and get a real playcaller in here is the day I will rejoice.