News: Sturm's analysis chilling...Decoding Callahan: Week 2 - Kansas City Chiefs

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You cannot continue to run the ball if you don't get first downs period. You go 3 and out every time and then fall behind where it just is stupid to run for the sake of running. 2 yards a pop doesn't do anything sorry.

I agree w you about balance but the run has to work for it to be effective

KC wasn't gaining a lot of yards in the first 3 quarters but kept at it. In the 4th, they ran out the clock with their running game.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
lmao@ you word usage and verbage. If this was fiction, this would be perfect Colbert/Onion stuff.

khiladi

Reaction score
This team doesn't adjust to he blitz well. We try and make people fit into a system, instead of adjusting to what the defense does and exposing mis-matches. If teams brings the blitz, this leaves potential open for beak-downs, which turn into big gains. We don't see any of that. For the life of me, I still have no idea why the don't attack down the seams to account for blitzing LBs.

Staubacher

Reaction score
KC wasn't gaining a lot of yards in the first 3 quarters but kept at it. In the 4th, they ran out the clock with their running game.

They have a better RB plus they were helped by an obvious hold on Ware and bad PI call. Plus no way we run like Charles did against 8 or 9 in the box. We would have been 3 and out and punt.

Look I want more running and balance too. But it has to be better than Murray at 2.5 ypc. And I think it will be this week.

reddyuta

Reaction score
the perfect antidote for the blitz is the dump offs to the speedy Dunbar but he has fumbilitis which is very unfortunate because he has game changing speed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I am not ready for one of those games where they run run run run even if it is not working and even if the pass is open all day.

I say this because without fail the last few years there have been games where we did not run enough and the press and fandom hounded the team and coach about it only to see the next game be a game where they are hell bent on running the ball to prove a point or to over react.

This is no lie. If we've seen this once, we've seen it at least once a year since 2007.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They have a better RB plus they were helped by an obvious hold on Ware and bad PI call. Plus no way we run like Charles did against 8 or 9 in the box. We would have been 3 and out and punt.

Look I want more running and balance too. But it has to be better than Murray at 2.5 ypc. And I think it will be this week.

They weren't playing 8 or 9 in the box. At least in the 2nd half. They were rushing 5 or more on every down and ignored the running game.

Staubacher

Reaction score
They weren't playing 8 or 9 in the box. At least in the 2nd half. They were rushing 5 or more on every down and ignored the running game.

I was taking about how we defended Charles on the last drive. If we had to run vs that would have been fail. My post was clear about that

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I was taking about how we defended Charles on the last drive. If we had to run vs that would have been fail. My post was clear about that

I understood and my point was that KC wasn't playing 8 or 9 in the box.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
This is all true.

However it is also true that if Dez makes that long catch...things could have been different.

That is one of those shoulda coulda woulda things that we will never know. We do know, as the article says, that giving up on the run (whether it is working or not) has proven to cost us games and it is not just under Callahan.

I hear what you're saying, but in my opinion, a single dropped pass or errant throw shouldn't short circuit a game's worth of offensive production. Look at the Bengals and Steelers last night. How many easy passes did Dalton miss? I lost count at the start of the third quarter. Yet, the Bengals still won by two scores.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
He is 100% right on the money in my opinion. I saw the same decision making from Romo last season and prior to that. Remember the last game in Denver, when he decided to go to Hurd one-on-one vs Bailey on 3rd and 4th down with the game on the line? Of coarse Bailey won both battles and we lose the game. I saw those same type of decisions week after week last season watching the coaches film.

I dont think it is a coincidence that our pass protection started to fall off in the 2nd half when they completely abandoned the running game. 3 runs the entire 2nd half in a close ball game is just moronic. KC started to T off on the pass and that was the beginning of the end.

burmafrd

Reaction score
This is no lie. If we've seen this once, we've seen it at least once a year since 2007.

and maybe that is not a bad thing either. Makes the D more uncertain of what you might do in a game. Anything that causes any kind of uncertainty in the D needs to be looked at.

dboyz

Reaction score
I don't agree with Sturm. He makes some good points, but if his remedy to fix this team is simply to run more I'm all out. That is crazy. It has been proven you can throw the ball effectively without a good running game. One of the keys is pass protection. If we can hit some more big plays, teams will stop stacking the line and blitzing and we will be able to run the ball.

It's funny if Romo throws a little drop off that gains 6 yards on first or second down, people complain "dink and dunk offense," "go down the field." Demarco Murray ran the ball 12 times and the BEST run was a six yard gain. The best of run game equals dinking and dunking in the pass game which everyone complains about.

If Dez catches the pass he's open for, if the refs don't call PI on Dez, if we throw it to our best offensive player when he is matched up one on one in the redzone, (I know if, if if), then guess what, we'll be the ones running DeMarco Murry at the end of the game taking time of the clock and yup we will end up with more than 20 carries.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

How did they keep at it? They didn't run all that much, and half of them were Alex Smith scrambles until their final drive. Charles only had 8 carries before that drive, that's not sticking to it at all. They ran less than we did really.

31smackdown

Reaction score
It's the same thing over and over, teams show blitz and instead of trying to bringing in an extra blocker to protect they audible to a 5 yard hot route that everyone knows and has covered. At some point you have to show you can pick up or stop a blitz and convert big plays otherwise teams will keep blitzing knowing they are only going to give up a 5 yard pass. Romo or the offense is too robotic with this stuff, making it predictable. They need to show more variation in their blitz audibles to include more max protection and take some shots down field.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I think it is going to be harder to run in the NFL than to pass in the very near future. And I'm talking about possibly next year. I expect the competition committee to outlaw chop blocks entirely, OL will no longer be able to go at the defenders knees and ankles. And this will make running the ball more difficult for offenses. Too many defensive linemen are getting hurt by ruthless cutting.

So, the pass-run ratio we are seeing now will be the norm for every team soon.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
The vaunted "12" offense is the problem with our running game, and has been for a while. You have an OL that is not at its best run blocking, and add bad blocking TEs in the mix; bringing more defensive players tighter together into the running area. That spells disaster for the running game. The bes tthing to do is to run the 3 WR sets, which is the Cowboys best offense, and spread the defense out and make them defend the run with smaller players. This "12" offense is not creating the mismatches everyone was do giddy about. It is creating mismatches in the opposing defenses favor.

links18

Reaction score
I am not ready for one of those games where they run run run run even if it is not working and even if the pass is open all day.

I say this because without fail the last few years there have been games where we did not run enough and the press and fandom hounded the team and coach about it only to see the next game be a game where they are hell bent on running the ball to prove a point or to over react.

Get ready for it. Its coming. Two yards and a pile of dust.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The vaunted "12" offense is the problem with our running game, and has been for a while. You have an OL that is not at its best run blocking, and add bad blocking TEs in the mix; bringing more defensive players tighter together into the running area. That spells disaster for the running game. The bes tthing to do is to run the 3 WR sets, which is the Cowboys best offense, and spread the defense out and make them defend the run with smaller players. This "12" offense is not creating the mismatches everyone was do giddy about. It is creating mismatches in the opposing defenses favor.

If we actually used our TEs in the passing game, it would make it a lot easier for them to run the ball as well. Every pass to our TEs is less than 10 yards down field. If you there is no fear of getting beat over the top, its easy to tee off on the running game and QB.