News: Sturm's analysis chilling...Decoding Callahan: Week 2 - Kansas City Chiefs

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How did they keep at it? They didn't run all that much, and half of them were Alex Smith scrambles until their final drive. Charles only had 8 carries before that drive, that's not sticking to it at all. They ran less than we did really.

They kept at it by running the ball in the 4th qtr.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but in my opinion, a single dropped pass or errant throw shouldn't short circuit a game's worth of offensive production. Look at the Bengals and Steelers last night. How many easy passes did Dalton miss? I lost count at the start of the third quarter. Yet, the Bengals still won by two scores.

Thank you.

This offense has been boom or bust for so long now it's almost hard to remember when missed plays weren't crippling.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The vaunted "12" offense is the problem with our running game, and has been for a while. You have an OL that is not at its best run blocking, and add bad blocking TEs in the mix; bringing more defensive players tighter together into the running area. That spells disaster for the running game. The bes tthing to do is to run the 3 WR sets, which is the Cowboys best offense, and spread the defense out and make them defend the run with smaller players. This "12" offense is not creating the mismatches everyone was do giddy about. It is creating mismatches in the opposing defenses favor.

I've been saying this for a long time.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
12 of 14 runs from 2TE formations.

Basically, if Dallas lines up with less than 2TEs, they're passing.

I'd imagine guys who actually get paid to notice this stuff laugh at how easy it is to figure it all out.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many times have u seen successfull team's keep pounding the running game then in the second half it starts busting loose.
we have the beef to do it.

kramskoi

Reaction score

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Here are the passing charts for the KC game. Again very few passes to the middle of the field.
First half:
Week+2+vs+Chiefs+1st+Half.png

2nd half:
Week+2+vs+Chiefs+2nd+Half.png

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They have to beat the blitz or you're going to be very disappointed. And part of that is running the ball.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Thank you.

This offense has been boom or bust for so long now it's almost hard to remember when missed plays weren't crippling.

The margin for failure in Dallas has been too small for too long under Garrett, who has had the Cowboys in more close games than his predecessor:

The Cowboys played between five and seven "close games" per season during that spectacular four-year run. For all that team's general dominance, they were a mere 12-11 - and were never better than 4-2 - in such contests. Overall, they had one of the most impressive four-year stretches in league history - emerging victorious in 81 percent of their games - but only 52 % of all close games.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...-cowboys-close-games-plaguing-garretts-tenure
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...-cowboys-close-games-plaguing-garretts-tenure

Garrett has a propensity for conservatism that puts the Cowboys in too many games where a single play can determine the outcome. It is the story of his tenure and the best clue of the likelihood that he will never get the Cowboys back to
greatness.

The last time the Cowboys won a game by more than a touchdown? December 2011, with a 31-15 victory over a hapless Tampa Bay team. That was 21 games ago.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/9/16/4735258/quick-take-cowboys-chiefs-by-the-numbers

mrmojo

Reaction score
Here are the passing charts for the KC game. Again very few passes to the middle of the field.
First half:
Week+2+vs+Chiefs+1st+Half.png

2nd half:
Week+2+vs+Chiefs+2nd+Half.png
Man, I guess no adjustments at all, just keep doing what we had been doing. You would think someone could get open over the middle, or at least try something else to open up the middle, that diagram is pretty dicouraging.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
This was a 3-4 defense. At least one of the four linebackers blitzes on almost every play. As much of Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan as Garrett saw, you'd think he would know how to attack a blitzing 3-4. Maybe he is waiting for Jerry Jones to ask him nicely to start running the offense and calling the plays again.

RS12

Reaction score
"Here is how it happens: The lack of run brings more blitzing. The blitzing causes you to unload the ball fast. Unloading the ball fast means nobody's route can develop and all passes are within 5 yards of the line. All the passes being short makes the defense all crowd the line. Crowding the line closes the windows for the passes. And suddenly, either you fit the ball into a very tight spot or you are punting again. And, with a bout of inaccuracy from their QB in the 4th Quarter Sunday that might have had to do with his ribs or just the pressure, the Cowboys were doomed."

This is why Sturm is on of the best in the business. I wish he would post here instead of the other board.

Zordon

Reaction score
12 of 14 runs from 2TE formations.

Basically, if Dallas lines up with less than 2TEs, they're passing.

I'd imagine guys who actually get paid to notice this stuff laugh at how easy it is to figure it all out.

*sigh* you guys are really depressing me.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
We can't run because we don't throw deep.

We should be setting up the run with the pass. Other teams do it.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I wonder if they even bother game planning each week, the passing charts have not changed in 2 years. Defenses know this and don't bother covering the middle of the field.

Zman5

Reaction score
I don't agree with Sturm. He makes some good points, but if his remedy to fix this team is simply to run more I'm all out. That is crazy. It has been proven you can throw the ball effectively without a good running game. One of the keys is pass protection. If we can hit some more big plays, teams will stop stacking the line and blitzing and we will be able to run the ball.

It's funny if Romo throws a little drop off that gains 6 yards on first or second down, people complain "dink and dunk offense," "go down the field." Demarco Murray ran the ball 12 times and the BEST run was a six yard gain. The best of run game equals dinking and dunking in the pass game which everyone complains about.

If Dez catches the pass he's open for, if the refs don't call PI on Dez, if we throw it to our best offensive player when he is matched up one on one in the redzone, (I know if, if if), then guess what, we'll be the ones running DeMarco Murry at the end of the game taking time of the clock and yup we will end up with more than 20 carries.

What QB not named Brady, Brees, Rogers and Peyton can do this week in and week out?