Sturm's Morning After: Cowboys have a coaching mess; Garrett ignores reality of the underdog

khiladi

Reaction score
Jason Garrett was a QB coach before he came to the Cowboys... Now people are blaming Jerry for the QB scenario...

That's just the irony of this whole situation... The whole basis for Jason's genius as a coach was rooted in coaching QBs...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He won the bye week…does that count?

Fair point. Got a moral victory in there for this one for certain. Actually 1.5 moral victories so far, if you count the first half against New England.

khiladi

Reaction score
It's becoming obvious Garrett sabotaged Dan Reeves being here and sabotaged Callahan's tenure as OC. Any change in the offensive playbook makes this guy effectively meaningless. Any change in offensive playbook is most likely met by resistance by Jason.

khiladi

Reaction score
Almost any quarterbackis going to look bad in Garrett's offensive system. It is antiquated and still uses the same principals as the old Sid Gillman/Don Coryell scheme. That worked great in the 70's 80's and 90's when you had a great QB,offensive line and big fast receiving threats. Not so now. There are just too many good defenders on the field to limit your routes to vertical routes outside the numbers. Kellen Moore would look far worse in this system I can promise you that.

It's not about the defenders, it's because the rules have changed to favor offenses. Big WRs use to battle with CBs, who could also play aggressive.

These CBs could pretty much run guys like Edelman and these short WRs off their routes. Nowadays, they can't do that, so they are at a disadvantage. Also, these CBs could disrupt the short passing game with physicality. None of these spread offenses worked back then.

Zman5

Reaction score
I know what he's saying. And he's wrong in this case. Nobody mentioned a Hail Mary. You've got drives stalling on bad basses on bubble screens and passes to Richard Sherman. Why are you resorting to Hail Mary's when we can't complete just ordinary passes? Playing to win. Lol. Like with the Giants, right? Deep downfield passes...to their Safeties. Because the (open) WR and the CB were in the adjacent zip code. Pick 6. And off-target first-down throws into double coverage. A couple other dropped picks that were too close for comfort. Got it. Playing to win.

And enough with the blanket assumptions that I'm just not seeing things right when I don't agree with you. You want to score a point, do it the hard way, by actually making an argument that's convincing. Rely on Sturm to do it if you have to, just make a point somewhere along the line so we have something to talk about.

Blanket assumptions? Show me where you have genuinely criticized JG and called him out?

Sydla

Reaction score
Drew Stanton went 5-3 last year with the Cards as a backup

Mark Sanchez went 4-4 last year with the Eagles as a backup.

Matt Hasselbeck is 2-0 this year with the Colts as a backup.

But apparently, it's a lot, and quite frankly unfair, to ask of Garrett and this staff to have squeezed out even one win in their last 5 with a backup QB.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
The coaches are always wrong when they don't win regardless of the probabilities involved.

If they had gone for it and didn't make it, the same people saying they should have gone for it would be saying it was the wrong call to go for it.

True, but I would of had more respect for him as a coach.....Garrett is a lover not a fighter.... Did you see the Flee Flicker the Saints did on the Giants....When is the last time Jason Garret has called a onside kick, used hard counts to get 1 yard....fake FG...or did anything to make a difference......NOT HAPPENING on his watch.

Linehan is not helping....uncreative and predictable.....very similar to Garrett

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Drew Stanton went 5-3 last year with the Cards as a backup

Mark Sanchez went 4-4 last year with the Eagles as a backup.

Matt Hasselbeck is 2-0 this year with the Colts as a backup.

But apparently, it's a lot, and quite frankly unfair, to ask of Garrett and this staff to have squeezed out even one win in their last 5 with a backup QB.

And the Jets are 4-3 this year with a rookie HC and with a starting QB combo of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith. Basically two backups

ccb04

Reaction score
Sturm is probably my favorite Boys writer. That said...Matt Cassel threw 3 very costly Int's (to include a pick 6, and there could've been even more Int's), against a secondary that just yielded 511 yards passing & 7 passing TD's to the Saints. The Giants have been horrendous in coverage, and Cassel couldn't take advantage against them (and that was with the benefit of a very good effort from the ground game). It was an inauspicious first start...with Seattle's secondary/defense coming in for his second go-round. In addition to Seattle's D playing a very good game, was it also a case of Cassel being gun shy after the turnovers in the Giants game?

Garrett certainly deserves blame and has bungled his fair share of things...but there's plenty of blame to go around. Red was essentially stripped of play-calling duties if I remember correctly. And while he's no doubt involved in game planning, etc...a good deal of the play-calling ill's certainly falls on Linehan, the subpar play of Weeden & Cassel, the lack of production from the WR's for various reasons, inconsistent OL & RB play at times, penalties, being the leagues worst team in terms of turnover ratio, predictable tendencies, etc.

Last season, the Boys had Romo for the majority of the season, the AP offensive player of the year at RB, an opportunistic defense that finished top 3 in turnovers, 16 TD's from Dez, etc. They got used to/liked last seasons model...but simply aren't equipped to run it this year for various reasons (with the exception of the defense & the lack of turnovers). It seems to be a case of failing to make adjustments (something a good deal of the Boys coaches seem to struggle with), while being stuck on/stubborn in trying to stick with the 2014 model of play (particularly on offense). It's not going to work. Hell, it didn't work with Weeden at the helm in 2014 vs. a quality opponent in Arizona...and he had Dez, Murray, Witten, Dwayne Harris, Williams, Beasley, and Dunbar, all at his disposal.

bysbox1

Reaction score
well at least someone else see it to Garrett is a dud

Garrett can't coach period.

I knew Garrett was a dud when we first hired him. Go back and read posts when we first hired him. I was passionate about him NOT being HC. I stopped posting on this forum for a long time because I felt as though you could not say ANYTHING negative about him without people giving you flack about it. It was like we was the next coming of Lombardi.

He is what he is, an inexperienced coach who had not been through enough coaching situations when he was expeditiously promoted through the Cowboys coaching system.

Blake

Reaction score
Well I wonder why Sturm and some of the posters do not see that Dallas is just trying to stay afloat until Romo's return.

"Staying afloat" means winning a game or two, which Jason Garret and co. have not done. This Cowboy's team is certainly not staying afloat; the boat is inundated with leaks and sinking fast.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I don't think they have the guts to start Moore. Although he has never thrown a regular season pass, he has played well in the preseason. What amazes me about Moore, and what I did not know, is how successful he was in college. The dude is the winningest QB in college football history at Boise State. He was second to Andrew Luck in about all of the awards given to college QB's his junior and senior year. It seems like the knock on him is his stature...same size as Manziel. Compared a lot to Colt McCoy in many publications.

Most things I read about the guy say he'll be a football coach as soon as his NFL career is over. Supposedly extremely smart football mind.

My only thought would be, wouldn't it be nice to get a look at this guy for a game or two. You never know what you actually have.

Again though, that would be a risk that I could never see Garrett take.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but I would of had more respect for him as a coach.....Garrett is a lover not a fighter.... Did you see the Flee Flicker the Saints did on the Giants....When is the last time Jason Garret has called a onside kick, used hard counts to get 1 yard....fake FG...or did anything to make a difference......NOT HAPPENING on his watch.

Linehan is not helping....uncreative and predictable.....very similar to Garrett

They had McFadden throw a pass but he had a defender in his face.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, I don't think too many people are going to get mad at Garrett doing whatever he can to get us a win.

Maybe when we were 2-2, yes. But 2-4 against the defending NFC Super Bowl representative?

But daring is what we need. Playing Weeden and Cassel straight up is the safe route. And so far we've been as safe as a chastity belt on a cloistered nun.

They were aggressive in the Giants game.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
You show me a coach in any sport that consistently wins with bad players. NEWSFLASH! It takes great players to win in this league. And why would Garrett care more about himself than the team? How would that benefit Garrett?

We're not looking for consistent winning. We're looking for two wins in five games.

Sydla

Reaction score
We're not looking for consistent winning. We're looking for two wins in five games.

LOL. Exactly.

Not sure why some people keep twisting the point here and acting like people expected Dallas to go 4-1 over this stretch.

Almost everyone to a man who has criticized Garrett has said their expectation was win one or two games out of this 5 game stretch. It's really not that outrageous an expectation when you see other back up QBs delivering wins all around the league.

Oy vey.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sturm nailed it, and thay is the reason why I want JG out. He's gutless and always has been. I know it won't happen, but at least bring a new offensive system next year.

Not happening. He has a little bit of arrogance about his system, we all saw how it was oil and water with Callahan. That is a real reason Linehan is here. Basically believe in the exact same system.