Sturm's Morning After: Cowboys have a coaching mess; Garrett ignores reality of the underdog

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by Alexander, Nov 2, 2015.

1. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

17,035 Messages
    13,884 Likes Received
    You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop which is what we have in totality without Romo. The coaching is not the issue.

lothos05 likes this.
  2. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

9,984 Messages
    4,064 Likes Received
    exactly. we seem to make enough mistakes to lose the game, where a team missing key pieces doesn't necessarily have to do anything special, but minimize its mistakes and negative plays.

and it boils down to 4th quarter. our offense and defense have been very bad in the 4th. very bad.

and I was surprised we didn't get any sacks against seattle, a team that had given up average of 5 per game prior.

we have to win the next two to stay in the race and just buy enough time for romo to get back and dez to get in shape

Idgit likes this.
  3. CowboysFaninHouston

9,984 Messages
    4,064 Likes Received
    I think you touch on a point. with Romo those routes worked. Romo is great at scanning the field and seeing things and looking defense off. Cassel is very limited. My comment in the other post was that with us missing our top talent, I don't expect them to come and do anything special to win. we just need to minimize mistakes and not miss opportunities. we have done neither. Cassel missed Dez a couple of times and tried to force it to him a couple of other times (which Dez saved him playing like a CB, as if it was Williams they may have been interceptions like the giants game). Cassel missed Williams and Beasley, so he is defintley not looking at his options. we also tend to make too many mistakes. we have been in the game in 4 of the 5 losses and collapsed, offensively and defensively in the 4th quarter.

and regarding the quick throws. I know Beasley and witten have been there, but not sure why they are not going to him. maybe they are afraid to throw in tight spaces...not sure.

4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

12,821 Messages
    6,739 Likes Received
    We've spent years under Garrett solidifying the talent around Romo. If the team sucks completely without him, then the head coach-who has presided over the selection and training of this team-bears a significant share of responsibility. We don't field a team of one player. There's 21 other guys out there. Garrett is responsible for all of them

Amy50632 likes this.
  5. CowboysFaninHouston

9,984 Messages
    4,064 Likes Received
    OMG, you totally lost it on this response. you went on to babel a bunch of non sense that I have no idea where to start to respond. my gawd, what color is the sky in your world! holy cow, I will attribute this to you having been drunk or something...or on drugs....it has to be one of those

oh, aren't you the one who has been touting mcclay as the reason for putting the talent together on this roster!!! but now saying its garrett or was it your brother Darryl!! :)

6. CowboysFaninHouston

9,984 Messages
    4,064 Likes Received
    ok, the other garrett haters claim it wasn't garrett who amassed the talent and it was jerry and mcclay.....so which is it?

7. CowboysFaninHouston

9,984 Messages
    4,064 Likes Received
    that's a valid argument....it could also be attributed to "are we really that talented?"..... Williams, street, Beasley, escobar, hanna have all underwhelmed. Dez and Romo being so great masked their incompetence.....we have a good OL. one good DL man, coupl of god DBs, the rest are down right awful. outside of 1st round, our drafts and talent evaluation has been very bad. we don't have any significant contributor in 2nd rounds and below.that goes for both offense and defense.

8. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

17,035 Messages
    13,884 Likes Received
    If you remove the main spring from a Swiss watch, it's not going to work right. Does that mean the craftsman that made the watch is no good? No, Swiss watches are main by the finest craftsman in the world. What it means is when a thing of precision is missing the parts it's design to operate with, subpar replacements won't make it work right. Garret has put together such a thing of precision that needs it's main spring (Romo).

9. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

7,510 Messages
    6,233 Likes Received
    under garrett everyone acts like he is all world the man has won one playoff game and if not for a bad call wouldn't of won that in five years he has barely a winning record without tony this team cannot finds its way out of the dark in five years jimmy had already won 2 superbowls.

Amy50632 likes this.
  10. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

9,859 Messages
    5,664 Likes Received
    I think it is a group effort, with the jones boys at top making final approvals.
    JG and coaches, and McClay all give their opinions and wants etc, and they evaluate, and come to conclusions.
    It isnt any one person that does it all.
    JG might want or not want a player, and he may get what he wants or he may not.
    I think Romo had a big influence on getting frederick.

Amy50632 likes this.
  11. CowboysFaninHouston

9,984 Messages
    4,064 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with you. that's the normal course of process for NFL team. but some garrett haters, placed the roster makeup and the talent acquisition on McClay and claimed he is solely responsible. now, another group of garrett haters, seeing that the talent is not all that, say its garrett who amassed this group and I wanted them to provide clarification.. :)

12. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

17,049 Messages
    5,132 Likes Received
    Socks to jocks. That's where all the final decisions are made. The others just have their say. When Stephens had enough he just puts daddy to the wall.:D

Amy50632 likes this.
  13. Dave_in-NC

17,049 Messages
    5,132 Likes Received
    Was a good game if your a Seahawks fan. Geessshhhhh

Amy50632 likes this.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

56,805 Messages
    56,889 Likes Received
    It was a better game for them, yeah.

Am I really alone in appreciating games even when we lose? If it's good football, I'm incredibly bummed after a loss, but I still enjoy the game. The reverse is even true sometimes (though not often) when we win a game playing sloppy. It's a lot less fun to watch one where it feels like we just got lucky against a better team. Though I'll take the win and run to the bank, it's still less satisfying. No?

15. Dave_in-NC

17,049 Messages
    5,132 Likes Received
    What eva. Naww I'm the same as you. It was a good game. Being a hockey fan and watching my team play 82 games conditions me to realize we won't win every game. Some times being mad even after a win.

Idgit likes this.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

56,805 Messages
    56,889 Likes Received
    Honestly, I was elated after the NY win, but that was one of those games where I was saying 'uh-oh' at the same time. It was the first week of the season, though, so I gave it a pass. PHI was about as bad.

From that point on, I didn't think we'd played well as a team until most of the Giants game. Last week was the first week of the season where I really thought the whole team played well and just the QB sucked. It *feels* like things are coming together a bit underneath the QB-suck right now. We'll see Sunday.

If we don't have a solid game by both the defense, ST, and the OL, though, I'm going to be pretty down on the second half of the year. If we play well and get beat at QB, I can live with that, as long as we then somehow win the TB game next week. If any of that makes sense.

17. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

58,634 Messages
    59,782 Likes Received
    Garrett isn't a lot different from your average coach, most of whom are very adverse to taking risks. Most of the time you see underdog coaches playing it safe until the later stages of the game and just try to stay alive as long as possible. All that does is avoid a blowout and makes things contingent on breaking right late. Rarely does that strategy pay off in a win in a game where you are decidedly outmatched or inferior. All in all, it pays off more often to actually roll the dice and do it early instead of depend on something happening in the 4th quarter.

Amy50632 and PA Cowboy Fan like this.
  18. CowboysFaninHouston

9,984 Messages
    4,064 Likes Received
    the other side of that is that it probably won't work and you have a big hole you can't climb out of. if you are over matched, you will end up losing more of those risks than winning.

19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

58,634 Messages
    59,782 Likes Received
    An underdog has a better chance to win by taking risks early and often rather than try to survive until late in the game. Now if the risks are successful, is another argument.

Amy50632 likes this.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

76,316 Messages
    43,749 Likes Received
    Those teams Jimmy coached were better. Remember, they had the number 1 defense in that day also.