Sucky time to be a DFW sports fan

RamziD

Reaction score
Rangers will hopefully be good again in 2020-2021 after they're able to dump some major payroll (Choo, Hamels, Beltre, etc)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the cowboys prove to me they can get these players coached and rolling when the zekes and Sean Lee's go down then I will believe different.

You guys can't accept that the cowboys are who they are, that's some of you fans problem.

Zeke was down part of last year, and there was a cloud over the Cowboys all of last year, and they did better than 7-9.

In any case, you are still basing your thoughts on hypotheticals. If you are going to go that route no team can be considered good because there is a hypothetical that can be created that would undermine the efforts of every team.

Besides, how did the Giants do after OBJ and Marshall went down? How have the Skins fared even when healthy? What is there to suggest those teams are suddenly better than Dallas? As for Dallas, I'm sure when Romo went down in preseason 2016, you thought, as did I and everyone else, that the team was doomed. They overcame it.

All this said, I'm not at all professing undying confidence in the coaches, but assuming the team is at least reasonably healthy the Cowboys are certainly better than a 7-9 team.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Well the only other team I follow is the Maryland Terps and we suck in football and basketball.

As for the Cowboys they are an 8-8 team until proven otherwise. Yea every once in a while they surprise and then it's one and done.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You must not be a local ?

Been in DFW for 20 years now, though travelled for my work living out of the area off and for about 6 years of that time but came home to check on things about every month or so.

Left Ohio in 84, 14 years in south Florida, then to Texas.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys are the only sports team I really follow or care about, so I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative in this case. :laugh:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The Cowboys are the only sports team I really follow or care about, so I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative in this case. :laugh:

Nothing wrong with that. I just grew up a big reds machine fan and loved me some UNC Tar Heels and my family and I loved some Dean Smith and went to camp there going into my sophomore year in high school.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Erod, my friend, the best thing I can relate is the old saying, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes." Let's just hope we're that squirrel, OK? ;)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve never understood this need for positivity to be a faithful fan.

I’m gonna root on my local team whether they suk or not. It does make it more fun to win.
I didn't say that, I was addressing his post about the pissin' and moanin' of the fans and you've been leading the parade against Booger. Just because some complain doesn't make them less of a fan anymore than one that is Pollyanna about the team is more of a fan.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
When the cowboys prove to me they can get these players coached and rolling when the zekes and Sean Lee's go down then I will believe different.

You guys can't accept that the cowboys are who they are, that's some of you fans problem.
But... they aren’t 7-9.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Zeke was down part of last year, and there was a cloud over the Cowboys all of last year, and they did better than 7-9.

In any case, you are still basing your thoughts on hypotheticals. If you are going to go that route no team can be considered good because there is a hypothetical that can be created that would undermine the efforts of every team.

Besides, how did the Giants do after OBJ and Marshall went down? How have the Skins fared even when healthy? What is there to suggest those teams are suddenly better than Dallas? As for Dallas, I'm sure when Romo went down in preseason 2016, you thought, as did I and everyone else, that the team was doomed. They overcame it.

All this said, I'm not at all professing undying confidence in the coaches, but assuming the team is at least reasonably healthy the Cowboys are certainly better than a 7-9 team.

I never said any of those other teams you mentioned was better. What I simply told you was that when the cowboys have injuries, suspensions to the main guys and bad coaching etc, they don't fare well.

Iam not talking about no other team but Dallas, and I am basing everything off of what Dallas has shown the last 2 years win or losing season. We can actually go back 4 seasons to see Dallas winning and losing patterns haven't changed. Without Murray and injuries the coaches failed, without zeke?.......

When they strike gold they lean on just that. Hypothetical? Nope. This off-season they have given no proof they will move away from their ways.

And it's not when the team is healthy, it's when ZEKE is healthy that they are better than 9-7

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said any of those other teams you mentioned was better. What I simply told you was that when the cowboys have injuries, suspensions to the main guys and bad coaching etc, they don't fare well.

Iam not talking about no other team but Dallas, and I am basing everything off of what Dallas has shown the last 2 years win or losing season. We can actually go back 4 seasons to see Dallas winning and losing patterns haven't changed. Without Murray and injuries the coaches failed, without zeke?.......

When they strike gold they lean on just that. Hypothetical? Nope. This off-season they have given no proof they will move away from their ways.

And it's not when the team is healthy, it's when ZEKE is healthy that they are better than 9-7

The context of the discussion was about whether the Cowboys are a 7-9 team, and if they are better than the Giants and Skins they likely will be a winning team.

Zordon

Reaction score
The Rangers look like a double-A team. The Mavs are a glorified D-League team with an owner in danger of getting his team taken from him. The Stars are an underachieving lot playing to empty home games. FC Dallas doesn't register enough yet for their successes to matter.

In the meantime, this duct-tape-and-Elmer's team we call the Dallas Cowboys carries all the hopes of the DFW sports enthusiast. As we stand today, a 7-9 caliber football team ladled in ifs and buts is the closest thing to a "beacon" we can see in these stormy waters.

Two World Series appearances and an NBA title seem like forever ago. Dirk and Beltre are in the twilight. Kidd, Terry, and Tyson are gone, as are Young, Cruz, and Kinsler. Benn is no Modano.

Meanwhile, the worst has happened. The Philadelphia Eagles finally won a Super Bowl. Yuck. The Houston Astros, with Nolan no less, won a World Series. The Rockets look poised to back that Astros championship up with another of their own. At least FC Dallas is ahead of the Dynamo by a few games, I guess.

This is the worst time ever to be a DFW sports fan.

I'm rather enjoying the Mavs implosion because I can't stand Cuban. I love my Rangers, but I'm up to here with "metrics" in baseball and today's overshifts and who-cares strikeout totals. Hockey wouldn't even be on my radar anymore if not for the return of Hitch.

So, our hopes around here lie in Jerry and his P.T. Barnum tent of circus clowns. Can't hide from the spotlight while other teams carry the local torch, not that the Cowboys ever can leave the stage in a football-dominated market.

Professional sports is broken in so many ways, and my interest in it all is waning rapidly. It doesn't help that the local participants are stuck in suck, and none of them seem close to seriously competing again.

The Cowboys offer the only glimmer of hope, and not much of a glimmer at that.
It's disgusting man.

Stars will be the first team in the salary cap era to miss the playoffs after having 80 pts at the 60 game mark. Epic collapse for a team that has been a sexy pick for the cup the last few seasons.

The Rangers are a hot mess. Beltre will be gone soon and they are about to leave one of the best ballparks in baseball....for what exactly?

Mavs are in disarray. Dirk will be gone soon and the team can't tank right. Free agents are allergic to us.

Jordan Speith is struggling. Even the local high school teams have lost their dominance on the state stage.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Oh stop. You don't get extra points for waving your pom poms around and wearing a cheerleader skirt and calling others who have a beef 'fair weather fans'. Calling out your teams for prolonged failures does not mean you are fair weather. 20+ years of nothing is a huge block of time. With no end in sight with our incompetent front office and owner. Not to mention our JV coaching staff.

If the truth hurts about being a fair weather fan than so be it. I continually use the example of the peckers who had a 29 year slide but during those 29 years their waiting list ( they have a huge waiting list) quadrupled. Not only did they support their team during lean years they actually forked out hard earned money during those lean years. The fair weather Cowboys fans don't want to hear about fans that COMPLETELY SUPPORTED their team for a longer lean time that the Cowboys have had.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yea calling a Dallas Cowboys fan a fair weather fan kinda lost bite 15 years ago. I mean really...what “fair weather” are you referring to?

Those that do nothing but whine and complain. Those that go boohoo the Cowboys didn't win again so I'm going to whine and complain like that will actually do anything to change anything.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
Man, having all four teams miss the playoffs sucks. Living in DC I've become a fan of all local teams except the skins, so I can relate. Lately we've been lucky enough to have all of the teams except the football team make the playoffs pretty regularly. The problem is, they all get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round. ALWAYS. God, what I wouldn't give for the Capitals to make it to the Stanley Cup finals. That has brought up the question.....is it better to be in the playoffs every year but not win a championship? Or is it better to have a 2 or 3 year run with one championship in there somewhere, and then a decade of mediocrity?