Sullivan and Helman on the Holding Calls

Kaiser

Reaction score
Two comments on the Holding Calls on DC.com, both from guys that are pretty much company men but neither can avoid the Elephant in the kitchen. Jeff Sullivan posted this on DC.com today:

• I rarely talk about the officiating, just not worth it, and it’s always been my belief that they are doing the best they can. I officiated high school basketball for a few years and it was the most difficult job I’ve ever had. It just all moves so quickly, and again, that’s at the high school level. Still, go back and watch DeMarcus Lawrence every snap of that game. I watched the tape this morning and counted 11 holding penalties, six of them blatant. And zero were called. Somehow, he still finished with six hurries and two really impressive solo tackles against the run. “Tank” is still the front-runner for Defensive Player of the Year, but a few more sacks down the stretch certainly wouldn’t hurt his case.

David Helman posted this yesterday:

But you get the point. There has been a noticeable lack of holdings calls for this Dallas defense this season.

I actually took the time to look it up, thanks to the wonders of the Internet. Here is your breakdown.

So, yes. Lawrence isn’t imagining things. The Cowboys have only benefitted from eight holding calls all year – and four of those came in the first three weeks of the season. From Week 4 against Los Angeles, until Week 10 against Atlanta, they didn’t receive a single holding call from an opposing offensive lineman.

On strictly offensive and defensive plays, NFL refs have thrown a total of 514 offensive holding flags this year. That’s an average of 16 per team – so the Cowboys have received exactly half of the league average.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two comments on the Holding Calls on DC.com, both from guys that are pretty much company men but neither can avoid the Elephant in the kitchen. Jeff Sullivan posted this on DC.com today:

• I rarely talk about the officiating, just not worth it, and it’s always been my belief that they are doing the best they can. I officiated high school basketball for a few years and it was the most difficult job I’ve ever had. It just all moves so quickly, and again, that’s at the high school level. Still, go back and watch DeMarcus Lawrence every snap of that game. I watched the tape this morning and counted 11 holding penalties, six of them blatant. And zero were called. Somehow, he still finished with six hurries and two really impressive solo tackles against the run. “Tank” is still the front-runner for Defensive Player of the Year, but a few more sacks down the stretch certainly wouldn’t hurt his case.

David Helman posted this yesterday:

But you get the point. There has been a noticeable lack of holdings calls for this Dallas defense this season.

I actually took the time to look it up, thanks to the wonders of the Internet. Here is your breakdown.

So, yes. Lawrence isn’t imagining things. The Cowboys have only benefitted from eight holding calls all year – and four of those came in the first three weeks of the season. From Week 4 against Los Angeles, until Week 10 against Atlanta, they didn’t receive a single holding call from an opposing offensive lineman.

On strictly offensive and defensive plays, NFL refs have thrown a total of 514 offensive holding flags this year. That’s an average of 16 per team – so the Cowboys have received exactly half of the league average.

I'm so glad to see this being called out.

I hope it continues.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
NFL Zebras give out flags based on the names on the backs of Jerseys. Our guys are not reputable enough to draw flags yet. But if Von Miller, Peppers, Mack or JJ Watt gets held, 4 flags would come out. Same things with grounding and late hits on QB's. You get respect depending on who you are. NFL can call a hold on every play if they wanted to.

jrumann59

Reaction score
NFL Zebras give out flags based on the names on the backs of Jerseys. Our guys are not reputable enough to draw flags yet. But if Von Miller, Peppers, Mack or JJ Watt gets held, 4 flags would come out. Same things with grounding and late hits on QB's. You get respect depending on who you are. NFL can call a hold on every play if they wanted to.

While bolded is true look at some of the holds against the All-Pro OL dallas has then look at the rear naked chokes the other teams perform against the dallas DL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
th

What conspiracy???

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Helman is far from a company man. They're all allowed to speak their minds on DC.com...the only 'company man' is Micky.

The Break consistently talk about how poor the playcalling has been which includes their boss, Derek Eagleton.

Micky is not dc.com company man. People here just don't like him cause he's been covering the Boys since the 1980s.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Micky is not dc.com company man. People here just don't like him cause he's been covering the Boys since the 1980s.
For as long as I've been listening to the podcasts and following the media team, I have never felt like they were homers, company men, or intimidated into not speaking their mind. They've said themselves that Jerry gives them free reign to speak their minds. Broaddus was calling for Garrett's job for multiple years.

links18

Reaction score
For you conspiracy buffs, consider this: maybe Jerry is paying the refs to not call holdings to keep Tank's sack numbers low enough that he'll agree to a reasonable contract? I mean this has to be on the table right? :lmao2:

Zordon

Reaction score
Goodell should fear for his life during the draft next year.

I'd bet anything 8 more holding calls = one more win.

And that's just the average, in reality this dline deserves more holding calls than any team in the league (25+).

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Eh, I think he's much more pro Cowboys because of his relationships with the coaches and old staff. He won't say what's truly on his mind because of this whereas the rest don't really care

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Eh, I think he's much more pro Cowboys because of his relationships with the coaches and old staff. He won't say what's truly on his mind because of this whereas the rest don't really care

I have been listening to Mickey from the start on dc.com, he always speaks his mind. Negative or positive.