News: Sunday Night Football takes big hit in ratings

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There was a boycott organized 4 weeks ago and NFL ratings improved anyway. The NFL salary cap projection was just announced and it is a 6% increase.

People may be dissatisfied with the product but the NFL is not going to give the players 6% more money for public credibility. They are saying the NFL made 6% more money over the year before and they continue to beat GDP growth.

And of course Cowboys attendance has increased.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ce-up-this-season-despite-struggles-112224797

Ticket sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the $8b the NFL gets annually from media outlets and they just signed a massive new deal.
Ratings are down 9% across the board, after being down 9% last year.... that is a bad trend

NFL is still King but it is slipping from it's peak...... if I bought a stock at 10 and it went up every year 10% to 100 and then all of a sudden starting dropping 10% a year for consecutive years that would be alarming........it would still be at 80 but I would still be concerned by the trend

I personally think it is the product on the field and the rules.........replay has taken the fun out of the game and the rules have taken away the brutality..... the QB is make or break for most teams and injuries are killing the stars

Is it better than American Idol and the Voice and the NBA and Nascar, yes ....... but it is slipping

Shinaoi

Reaction score
E-sports? Seriously? You think E-sports is eating into physical ball sports? Why wouldn't they be able to like both types of sports?

I believe it’s true. Young people would rather watch twitch and YouTube than ESPN.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Even Sundays Cowboys Giants game would have received better ratings. I think the NFL has completely forgotten who their has cow is.....

Agree. They miss the fact that even in poor seasons for rivalry teams , the fans come out, and those in the division/conference will watch that game to see their most hated rival get beat by another hated rival....

The enemy of my enemy is a friend of mine --- personified for a game...

mahoneybill

Reaction score
What a post full of factual information and irrefutable evidence.

May be the reason Goodells extension was loaded with incentives rather than guaranteed money.

Hey Roger..... don't you see that a rookie draftee , or free agent, gets more guaranteed money today as a percentage of pay, and you " the almighty Oz" got a deal that has you trying to recover from the
blunders of political correctness, and dictatorial power that we the fans have seen through....

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Too many game slots, over saturation.

I would agree.

What makes (or what used to) the NFL so popular in terms of viewership is it's event driven; once a week, on a set day for three hours. You could schedule your Sunday around it and make plans with others to watch it. Now, with games on Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, it's becoming almost like the NBA, where there's always a game on.

aria

Reaction score
Gotta be honest, I was and am pretty shocked that we got the Sunday night game over the Pats/Steelers. I know people love or hate the Cowboys which always draws rarings but seriously? 2 mediocre teams barely hanging on for a playoff spot vs two teams that will most likely play each other in the AFC championship game and one of those teams will be in the Superbowl.

I don't keep up with the AFC nearly as much as I do the NFC but if I weren't a Cowboys fan I know which game I wouldn't be watching Sunday night.

piksix

Reaction score
I would agree.

What makes (or what used to) the NFL so popular in terms of viewership is it's event driven; once a week, on a set day for three hours. You could schedule your Sunday around it and make plans with others to watch it. Now, with games on Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, it's becoming almost like the NBA, where there's always a game on.

I agree, every game should be on Sunday. There shouldn't even be a Monday night game.

For me there are few other factors.

1. All the kickoffs are touchbacks with practically no change of a return.

2. Block in the back penalties on 50% of punt returns

3. Constant arbitrary holding penalties.

4. Ticky tack illegal hits and unnecessary roughness penalties.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
The ratings are going to be astronomical on Sunday for the Cowboys vs. Raiders showdown. Both teams are in the hunt, so there will be a lot of people tunning in.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Ratings are down 9% across the board, after being down 9% last year.... that is a bad trend

NFL is still King but it is slipping from it's peak...... if I bought a stock at 10 and it went up every year 10% to 100 and then all of a sudden starting dropping 10% a year for consecutive years that would be alarming........it would still be at 80 but I would still be concerned by the trend

I personally think it is the product on the field and the rules.........replay has taken the fun out of the game and the rules have taken away the brutality..... the QB is make or break for most teams and injuries are killing the stars

Is it better than American Idol and the Voice and the NBA and Nascar, yes ....... but it is slipping

Ratings are one thing but they are making 6+% more money nonetheless. The Nielsen ratings are not comprehensive anymore.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never understood the over-saturated theory

It used to be 3 games max on Sunday.....1pm NFC, 1pm AFC and 4pm AFC/NFC.... then Monday Night

Now they added Sunday Night and Thursday Night..... how does that turn off viewers.... I watch almost every game over other stuff on TV...... if I don't watch on Thurs or Sun that is just scheduling, not that my appetite has satiated
:clap:
I know I'm in the minority, but if they showed more games I'd watch more NFL. For example, every Sunday I am force fed only 1 game usually in the 3:00 time slot. Normally it's the Cowboys but when it's not I don't have any choice but to watch the only game being shown. In my area that's the Chiefs. I hate the Chiefs. I don't want to watch the Chiefs.

Many years ago (like 30 or 40) I argued both the networks should be allowed to show double headers each Sunday. At least give me some choice or give me a couple of games I can switch betweeen. This Sunday I get one game at 3:00 and it's NE and PIT. I'll watch because it's the NFL but normally I don't watch PIT because I hate them so much.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
The Cowboys will bailout the NFL........ONCE AGAIN....atleast for this week.

Now we know why Goodell was sucking up to Jerry this week...........oh, Jerry, forget Mara, it's you that's my favorite.......

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
I used to really love the NFL but things changed. I dont watch it much anymore outside of the occasional cowboys game. I prefer college ball now and still watch it regularly. In the last year I also quit fantasy football.
For me it was a lot of factors that made me fed up with the NFL including:
-too many penalties. the shift to pass interference calls on every drive is lame. The passing game got too out of control when people realized dbs cant do their job anymore.
-wayy too many commercials. constant commercials about football
-games on every night, oversaturatio
-goodell seems like a tool. nfl suspensions make no sense. people who arnt on the field make too much money and I have no interest in lining their pockets
-the crying about big hits and the penalties on them
-NFL analysis is awful to watch. 12 adults on the TV at the same time all trying to talk over each other. All of them morons and not likable people. Many of them seem to enjoy bashing people who have no shot at defending themselves and holding players to ridiculous standards (I enjoy Romo as a commentator for whatever thats worth)

just my two cents

haleyrules

Reaction score
Just look at the stands. There are empty seats everywhere and for every game. Its so bad that the cameras don't even show the crowd anymore. The higher up the fewer fans. The quality and passion just isn't there. I watched part of the Steelers game and the Officiating and flags were terrible.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Just look at the stands. There are empty seats everywhere and for every game. Its so bad that the cameras don't even show the crowd anymore. The higher up the fewer fans. The quality and passion just isn't there. I watched part of the Steelers game and the Officiating and flags were terrible.
Ratings are down, the stadiums are half empty and some still say it doesn't matter. Have to love the spin. lol

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
IDK why fans even post about this subject. I know its good for talk, but does anybody really care about whos not watching? The NFL and all 32 owners are making huge money still. We are all still being entertained on sunday? Is this supposed to stop? I dont care how many millions dont watch or watch. I know im watching and im enjoying it.