FEATURED Super Bowl LVIII- 49ers vs Chiefs

rambo2

Reaction score
Dak can put up the numbers. That doesn't mean crap. Aikman had very mediocre stats, but he has three rings. In the end, it's how you play in the playoffs. Dak isn't the type that can put the team on his shoulders. He needs a very strong supporting cast. The problem is that he's paid like an elite quarterback which leaves no money for the number of players he needs to surround himself with.
Dak's career isn't over.

Swagger

Reaction score
So I guess Kelce gets a pass for screaming at his coach mid-game and almost knocking him down? Win or lose, I can think of a lot of players that would be raked over the coals for that. But Kelce, oh, he's just wants to win sooo bad.

And the podium remarks - Mahomes was humble and thanked God and talked about the team. Kelce grabs the mike like a drunken frat boy and sings Viva Las Vegas so cringey and dragging it on. Even Swift was looking like "that's enough".

Speaking of her, she better watch out for that temper of his and displays of violence. Dude has DV written all over him.

What a phony "everyman hero" they're trying to shove on us.
How did Mahomes behave after the Chiefs lost to the Bills in the regular season...easy to be humble when you win. The lack of class and integrity often reveals itself in defeat.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Are they wrong though?

Shanahan has now thrown away three double digit leads in Superbowls all largely due to an obsession in not running the ball with a strong running game.

Purdy is an ok QB but he isn't a guy to win you a game when needed. Much like Prescott. He's the exact type of QB you DO NOT pay big money otherwise the team around them isn't strong enough to make up for their deficiencies.

With that said the bonehead who gifted the Chiefs 7 points on special teams, kicker who missed the extra point and Greenlaw going down with the Chiefs struggling to move the ball beforehand all played huge contributory factors in the 49ers blowing the game. It wasn't just on Shanahan.
I don’t get this at all. Purdy is a very good QB. He was also very much a part of the 49ers coming back to beat the Lions two weeks ago.

You outlined correctly a number of critical plays in the game that were totally beyond Purdy’s control but then on the same hand act like they weren’t real factors.

When folks say “ah, this QB can’t win unless he has parts around” it’s such a non-statement. That’s the case for every QB to a greater or lesser extent.

Swagger

Reaction score
I don’t get this at all. Purdy is a very good QB. He was also very much a part of the 49ers coming back to beat the Lions two weeks ago.

You outlined correctly a number of critical plays in the game that were totally beyond Purdy’s control but then on the same hand act like they weren’t real factors.
Shanahan is seemingly aware of Purdy's limitations and what he did in the game was akin to what imo any standard, competent starting NFL quarterback would have done. Purdy was unable to overcome the above errors. Better quarterbacks are. It's an old example, but I remember Romo overcame a blocked punt and special teams fumble which from memory gave up 14 points to the Legion of Boom still pretty much in their peak and in their building.

My point being I wouldn't pay Purdy top dollar based on last night as he was ok yet nothing special - type of game I would have expected from Prescott who certainly isn't worth top dollar.

Perhaps Shanahan could be dug out for his playcalling but I think he saved Purdy from himself - note how he played against the Ravens when he was asked to air it out and do more.

erod

Reaction score

When folks say “ah, this QB can’t win unless he has parts around” it’s such a non-statement. That’s the case for every QB to a greater or lesser extent.
Mahomes won with nothing at wide receiver of note. Brady did that as well many years.

Mahomes is 15-3 in the playoffs. Wow.

Purdy can get better for sure because he's young. But those first three quarters against Detroit and the last three quarters yesterday show he's got a ways to go.

Aven8

Reaction score
Btw just an update read that Greenlaw blew out his Achilles. Man what a blow for the guy

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
No I don’t think they’re wrong. They’ve suffered a Super Bowl drought longer than ours. Brock is Dak 2.0. He needs a strong team around him to play well. When his RB fumbles and defense falters he can’t put the team on his back. I would not want to pay him 60 million a year. Same argument I have for Dak. Paying Brock 60 APY would cripple the team. This year was his shot. Next year his window is open but not as good as this year. After they resign him then their roster will have more holes and less likely to win.

Unless you’re Mahomes, Allen, Burrow I think you go cheap at QB and build a strong team around them, JMO.
They at least matter because they have been to 4 CTGs this century and won 3 of them. They have lapped us several times the last 28 years. Nobody thinks the Niners are a joke like they do the Cowboys. There's no Stephen A. Smith equivalent that bags on them every show.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Not sure what the Niners were thinking about taking the ball first in OT.

This wasn't a regular season game where you can lose if the opponent scores a TD on their first possession but they played it like it was and lost because of it.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Not sure what the Niners were thinking about taking the ball first in OT.

This wasn't a regular season game where you can lose if the opponent scores a TD on their first possession but they played it like it was and lost because of it.
I think resting the defense who just got off the field. I mean they still almost won if they could have stopped the Chiefs on 4th down.

I agree with taking the ball second but I can see why they rested the D

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Shanahan is seemingly aware of Purdy's limitations and what he did in the game was akin to what imo any standard, competent starting NFL quarterback would have done. Purdy was unable to overcome the above errors. Better quarterbacks are. It's an old example, but I remember Romo overcame a blocked punt and special teams fumble which from memory gave up 14 points to the Legion of Boom still pretty much in their peak and in their building.

My point being I wouldn't pay Purdy top dollar based on last night as he was ok yet nothing special - type of game I would have expected from Prescott who certainly isn't worth top dollar.

Perhaps Shanahan could be dug out for his playcalling but I think he saved Purdy from himself - note how he played against the Ravens when he was asked to air it out and do more.
When you can’t throw the out in any form, you need a better starting QB.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Btw just an update read that Greenlaw blew out his Achilles. Man what a blow for the guy
I don't feel sorry for the dude. He's an excellent player, but also a dirty, dirty player. I have my suspicions on the unprovoked ankle blow out but I'll just be quiet about it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And quietly KC building a dynasty.....3rd SB win in last 4 years, and possibly being favorite for this next season. Wonder if the owner will fire Reid so he can get all the credit.?
For the 1000th time Jerry didn’t fire Jimmy. They mutually parted ways and a lot of it was because of Jimmy. Jerry and Jimmy recently talked about it prior to Jimmy’s ROH induction.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
And quietly KC building a dynasty.....3rd SB win in last 4 years, and possibly being favorite for this next season. Wonder if the owner will fire Reid so he can get all the credit.?
I don't know about quietly. It seems to me that the Chiefs are getting a record amount of media attention.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Purdy with a stinker.

Yikes :l

Would hate to be one of his Rookie Contract QB Fan Boys today.

Great talent and coaches around him and he soiled the sheets. Jeepers Creepers.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Purdy played ok BUT the argument against these non-elite QBs is that in order to win a Super Bowl, you still have to be elite in big moments. That's what Big Ben, Eli, Flacco, and Foles were in the Super Bowl. Purdy had a chance to get TDs twice at the end but couldn't do it and that's what separates those Giant-Killer QBs from the ones who go home empty-handed.

Same criticism we have of Dak. If he's not elite then fine, but can he be elite in big moments like that? So far, he hasn't shown that clutch ability in the playoffs. With so many great QBs in the AFC, you're going to eventually play Mahomes or another MVP-caliber QB in the Super Bowl so your QB play has to be great in that game to match that level from the opposing offense. The argument that you can win a Super Bowl with an average QB and great defense doesn't apply in today's league like it did 20 years ago with Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson winning.

Redline360

Reaction score
Purdy with a stinker.

Yikes :l

Would hate to be one of his Rookie Contract QB Fan Boys today.

Great talent and coaches around him and he soiled the sheets. Jeepers Creepers.
Stinker? Lmao crazy talk.

No one was expecting Purdy to put up big numbers or play that well. 255 yards passing 1TD, 0 turnovers, kept several drives alive and put his team up in OT on a legit chiefs defense. You can't ask for much more out of basically a rookie.

Chris Jones could have argurably been on mvp discussion. Saved 2 TDs that game on last nano second pressures

He just ran into a generation talent QB, Andy Reid, and one of the best defenses in football.

But yes he's limited overall.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Stinker? Lmao crazy talk.

No one was expecting Purdy to put up big numbers or play that well. 255 yards passing 1TD, 0 turnovers, kept several drives alive and put his team up in OT on a legit chiefs defense. You can't ask for much more out of basically a rookie.

Chris Jones could have argurably been on mvp discussion. Saved 2 TDs that game on last nano second pressures

He just ran into a generation talent QB, Andy Reid, and one of the best defenses in football.

But yes he's limited overall.
He couldnt get it done...with massive talent and massive coaching around him.

Stinker.