Super Bowl XLVII - 49ers vs. Ravens Game Thread

Diogenes

Reaction score
Fastphilly;4992628 said:
Overall, the refs did a great job. They did miss Ed Reed coming across early on the two point conversion try but other than that and the Crabtree call I didn't see any bad calls.

The 49ers are their own worst enemy always starting off too slow. They did it against Atlanta and this time it bit them. Perhaps it's a circumstance of getting outcoached in the first half of games? I mean they play stellar in the second half but play like scrubs in the first half. I can't figure these guys out.

You didn't see the illegal contact 20 yards downfield against Torrey Smith in the first half that impeded his progress, most likely costing him a TD?

crazytown41

Reaction score
good no call at the end. A ticky tack play like that shouldn't be deciding Super Bowls. Let em play.

9ers should've called TO and took their time instead of rushing it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hated the fade. Was that a play they checked to at the line, or what? I can't imagine going that direction with that QB on the field unless it were a reaction to what the defense did.

And did anyone cover in here what the deal was with the blatant consistent hold in the end zone on the safety? Was that legal for some reason that's not normally the case on a regular play? It was too obvious for the refs to have missed it.

Fastphilly

Reaction score
wileedog;4992623 said:
I think it would have been a pretty ticky tack call, as most of the contact occurred within 5 yards and he didn't obviously change Crabtree's direction with the any holding. Plus Crabtree pushed off as well.

He impeded Crabtree's chance of getting to the corner of the endzone. The ball was spotted at the 5. Crabtree wasn't released from the hold until three yards into the endzone so thats a total of 8 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.. As for the ball landing out of bounds. The ball landed about a yard outside the white surely a catchable ball with a stretched out receiver.

Diogenes

Reaction score
HoustonFrog;4992631 said:
Agree. Horrible and low percentage. I'd rather get a guy like Kaep running play action 4 plays straight, using the TE and crossing routes.

I'm with you both here. Let Kap keep the field in front of him so he can see running lanes open up if the coverage is tight. The fade is all or nothing, you leave yourself no other options.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
More than the hold on the last play, I think the refs missed a pretty blatant shot to the face of Crabtree on the previous play. He was in the process of turning to look upfield so I'm not sure if he's beyond "defenseless" but more often than not, that shot is called a penalty anymore. It was crown to the face, clear as day.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
The play call wasn't a fade, that was just a desperation attempt by Kap when he got the pressure so fast. It looked like it was going to be a back shoulder throw to Crabtree.

wileedog

Reaction score
Fastphilly;4992641 said:
He impeded Crabtree's chance of getting to the corner of the endzone. The ball was spotted at the 5. Crabtree wasn't released from the hold until three yards into the endzone so thats a total of 8 yards beyond the line of scrimmage..

I disagree. There wasn't any holding at all initally, just contact. I do admit that Smith did at one point grabbed his jersey, but he didn't yank or in any way change Crabtree's progress with the 'hold', and let go immediately.

Yes, he could have called it. But I think it would have been an extremely, extremely nitpicky call to decide who the wins the Superbowl and I would far rather the refs let them play through stuff like that in ANY game, especially when the offensive player was making just as much contact.

Fastphilly

Reaction score
wileedog;4992632 said:
I'm with you, especially calling it on 4th down with the Superbowl on the line.
Thats a two sided coin. An obvious hold because of you getting beat shouldn't be rewarded either.

Blitzen32

Reaction score
Fastphilly;4992628 said:
Overall, the refs did a great job. They did miss Ed Reed coming across early on the two point conversion try but other than that and the Crabtree call I didn't see any bad calls.

The 49ers are their own worst enemy always starting off too slow. They did it against Atlanta and this time it bit them. Perhaps it's a circumstance of getting outcoached in the first half of games? I mean they play stellar in the second half but play like scrubs in the first half. I can't figure these guys out.

I disagree. The Niners indeed made some questionable playcalls (particularly on 2nd and goal from the 5), but this was a terribly officiated game. 3-4 blown calls made a huge difference.

You don't want to leave it to the officials, but that's still a tough one to swallow. Overall, Baltimore had the better gameplan, and SF really dug themselves too big of a hole.

crazytown41

Reaction score
Woods;4992566 said:
I know what you mean. It does stink rooting against a team so they don't get more Super Bowls than your team.

I'm sure we'd all wish the Cowboys could take the next step . . . .
I don't like them because they prevented us from being the 1st team to win 4 straight SB's. We should've won that game :mad:

But was also rooting for the Ravens so Ed Reed could finally get that ring. 1st ballot HOF and deserves the ultimate goal. Ray Lewis annoys the hell out of me. Glad he's gone.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
ufcrules1;4992633 said:
You can't hold a player when the ball is in the air like Smith did. That was a hold clear as day. The ball was catchable had he not been held. Let me guess, you were rooting for the Ravens so the 49ers wouldn't get their 6th superbowl before the Cowboys?

No. Had no horse in this game. Just calling it fairly. Let me guess you hate Ray Lewis? See how that game works? The guy can hold within 5 yards. After that they were bunched and every replay shows Crabtree push off. Ball would not have been caught with feet in if he had to go up that high. Reality. Even people who first called it holding backed off after replays. It's the type of play not called all game when the camera isnt showing guys getting jammed.

dart

Reaction score
I Truly Hate Ray Lewis An Hopes He Suffers A Long Time

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Still not sure how this one went unpenalized.

helmetgraham.gif

KB1122

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4992482 said:
49ers still should have fair caught that. With no rush a fg kicker could kick it like a kickoff and clear that distance.

I thought for sure the 49ers would do this, and didn't get why they didn't. Akers is one of the four kickers who have hit from 63.

Diogenes

Reaction score
Fastphilly;4992628 said:

Diogenes;4992635 said:
You didn't see the illegal contact 20 yards downfield against Torrey Smith in the first half that impeded his progress, most likely costing him a TD?

Let me guess, you didn't see the blatant late hit out of bounds on Flacco that wasn't called either.

Fastphilly

Reaction score
wileedog;4992650 said:
I disagree. There wasn't any holding at all initally, just contact. I do admit that Smith did at one point grab his jersey, but he didn't yank or in any way change Crabtree's progress with the 'hold', and let go immediately.

Yes, he could have called it. But I think it would have been an extremely, extremely nitpicky call to decide who the wins the Superbowl and I would far rather the refs let them play through stuff like that in ANY game, especially when the offensive player was making just as much contact.

He held Crabtree's ability to get to the piont were the ball was thrown. That is HOLDING. The goalline is where the 5 yard rule ends on that play. He didn't get hands off on his Jersey until three yards beyond the goal line. That is a penalty.

Diogenes

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4992648 said:
The play call wasn't a fade, that was just a desperation attempt by Kap when he got the pressure so fast. It looked like it was going to be a back shoulder throw to Crabtree.

I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be a fade. If not, that was one of the worst passes in the history of football.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
HoustonFrog;4992656 said:
No. Had no horse in this game. Just calling it fairly. Let me guess you hate Ray Lewis? See how that game works? The guy can hold within 5 yards. After that they were bunched and every replay shows Crabtree push off. Ball would not have been caught with feet in if he had to go up that high. Reality. Even people who first called it holding backed off after replays.

Be 100% honest. Who were you going for in the game? I'm actually a big fan of Ray Lewis and Ray Rice. I Completely disagree with you though. When the ball is in the air.. you cannot blatantly hold a players jersey.. that is a hold and should have been called on the spot. Crabtree was trying desperately to turn for the ball. He did not push off at all and the ball would have been catchable had he not been held.