Super Bowl XLVII - 49ers vs. Ravens Game Thread

ufcrules1

Reaction score
HoustonFrog;4992696 said:
I like those guys too but your not being realistic. Crabtree pushed off and was pulling and the ball hit the back of the chalk. As I said above even Steve Young and others said it would have been ticky tack and was close to uncatchable. You can't call that there. I just don't buy this stuff. Heck if I was going to rip every bad call or close call I'd call the blackout crooked to for changing momentum. Better team won by starting off quick.

What about the helmet to helmet play right before that which would have given them 1st and goal at the 1 yard line? Same ref that no called the hold, didn't call the helmet to helmet play either. Also, why were no holds called on the safety play? Truth is, the refs purposely were not calling a lot of plays for both teams. They were simply "letting them play" which is inconsistent with the play calling all year. Why change it in the final game?

Nobody can deny the refs weren't making the calls all night. It is what it is and I can care less which team won but that was 100% a hold. I don't care what Steve Young or Deion Sanders says either.

Fastphilly

Reaction score
BRoni;4992692 said:
I think the better team won and I'm glad, but that is BS. How is that call ok at the start of the game and not at the end? That isn't acceptable and both affect the outcome. I agree the play calling was bad though.
The playcalling was horrific on those final plays. I still don't know why they didn't spread out the defence at least once and call a QB draw. The QB rolling to the right and shrinking the field in half just creates narrow passing lanes in a clogged area of the field and no space to run if Kap decided to take it himself.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
ufcrules1;4992697 said:
This would have out them first and goal at the one yard line.. but the same ref that missed this call, is the same one that missed the hold. Also, they never called a hold on the safety play either. The point is, they were not throwing flags all night like they consistently did throughout the season and playoffs. I'm not a fan of that.. I think they should be consistent all year.

You don't change the rules as you go.

Oh well, that's football. Missed calls and blown calls are part of the game. I think half of the Steelers championships are ref given but that's life, gotta live with it. You adapt and overcome or lose.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ufcrules1;4992708 said:
Nobody can deny the refs weren't making the calls all night. It is what it is and I can care less which team won but that was 100% a hold. I don't care what Steve Young or Deion Sanders says either.

It wasn't a hold. It was a good non-call.

Blitzen32

Reaction score
Diogenes;4992693 said:
Bad no calls for both teams, but some people choose not to see it that way.

That's simply unacceptable in the Super Bowl and the playoffs. Stop getting cute and awarding different crews with this game. Just give it to the best individual refs who make the least mistakes on a week-to-week basis. There should not be this many mistakes in a game of this much magnitude.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;4992711 said:
Oh well, that's football. Missed calls and blown calls are part of the game. I think half of the Steelers championships are ref given but that's life, gotta live with it. You adapt and overcome or lose.

It wasn't a missed call, the refs just weren't making the calls all night. They were as you call it "letting them play". With that said, I'm a big fan of not leaving it up to the refs. If you do that, you are putting your outcome in their hands and you will get burned in most cases.

Blitzen32

Reaction score
Fastphilly;4992709 said:
The playcalling was horrific on those final plays. I still don't know why they didn't spread out the defence at least once and call a QB draw. The QB rolling to the right and shrinking the field in half just creates narrow passing lanes in a clogged area of the field and no space to run if Kap decided to take it himself.

Agreed. They were very effective with those option runs right up the gut.

The playcaller got too cute or too complicated there.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4992708 said:
What about the helmet to helmet play right before that which would have given them 1st and goal at the 1 yard line? Same ref that no called the hold, didn't call the helmet to helmet play either. Also, why were no holds called on the safety play? Truth is, the refs purposely were not calling a lot of plays for both teams. They were simply "letting them play" which is inconsistent with the play calling all year. Why change it in the final game?

It was illegal contact, but the receiver was pushing off to so it was equal, they could both be penalized. If he threw the flag and penalized Balt. or both (offsetting) either way it's adv. SF and another chance or chances. I think it's a good no call. If anyone would argue the call it's Steve Young and he's not.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Idgit;4992712 said:
It wasn't a hold. It was a good non-call.

Was this a good non-call too one play earlier? Clear and obvious helmet to helmet. Truth is, people are going to see what they want to see depending on who they were rooting for. Tons of Cowboys fans wanted the 49ers to lose because of the bad history and they didn't want to see them get the 6th superbowl win before us.

helmetgraham.gif

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4992717 said:
Was this a good non-call too one play earlier? Clear and obvious helmet to helmet. Truth is, people are going to see what they want to see depending on who they were rooting for. Tons of Cowboys fans wanted the 49ers to lose because of the bad history and they didn't want to see them get the 6th superbowl win before us.

See I think this is a missed call because of the pressure that is on the league and the refs to 'protect' the players. Even though the ref was standing there I just think he missed it, plus it's all happening so fast. Perhaps the ref was watching the ball.

wileedog

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4992717 said:
W Tons of Cowboys fans wanted the 49ers to lose because of the bad history and they didn't want to see them get the 6th superbowl win before us.

I think its a lot more than that. The rules have changed so much that its just flat out annoying watching a game where a guy accidentally brushes a helmet and the offense gets 15 yards for it. A game where WRs can waltz down field and flags start flying because the DBs shoelace hit his ankle is not nearly as much fun to watch.

10 years ago we are not even having a discussion about that play at all, or the purely incidental helmet hit before it. I understand why were are now, but its still annoying that the refs have become such a huge factor in who wins or loses these games.

p.s don't give a fig if the Niners win another one before us. We aren't winning one for the foreseeable future with current management anyway.

weaver21

Reaction score
wileedog;4992721 said:
I think its a lot more than that. The rules have changed so much that its just flat out annoying watching a game where a guy accidentally brushes a helmet and the offense gets 15 yards for it. A game where WRs can waltz down field and flags start flying because the DBs shoelace hit his ankle is not nearly as much fun to watch.

10 years ago we are not even having a discussion about that play at all, or the helmet hit before it. I understand why were are now, but its still annoying that the refs have become such a huge factor in who wins or loses these games.

p.s don't give a fig if the Niners win another one before us. We aren't winning one for the foreseeable future with current management anyway.

Couldn't resist, huh?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;4992719 said:
See I think this is a missed call because of the pressure that is on the league and the refs to 'protect' the players. Even though the ref was standing there I just think he missed it, plus it's all happening so fast. Perhaps the ref was watching the ball.

This was the #1 rated officiating crew in the league. They missed the call because they wanted to. They probably had a meeting before the game and discussed "letting them play" and not being liberal with throwing the flag.

At the end of the day, the 49'ers shouldn't have left it up to them. They were also purposely not calling penaltys for both teams.. so technically it was fair. I just don't like how the changed the rules for the superbowl.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
wileedog;4992721 said:

10 years ago we are not even having a discussion about that play at all, or the helmet hit before it. I understand why were are now, but its still annoying that the refs have become such a huge factor in who wins or loses these games.

I agree and I hate the sissy rules too. However, I think you have to be consistent all season long. Why change the rules in the superbowl?

wileedog

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4992725 said:
I agree and I hate the sissy rules too. However, I think you have to be consistent all season long. Why change the rules in the superbowl?

They didn't change, this crew called them on the conservative side. I'm fine with that for a Superbowl.

Although with the helmet they just missed it. I will readily concede that one.

whynot

Reaction score
The way I saw it there were plenty of non calls on both sides, which was great! The refs let the players play. The lack of penalties was such a bonus in my opinion and if it wasn't for the blackout it would have been a quick free flowing game.

I won't lie, I'm happy with the result, and at the same time happy it was such a great game to watch. If 49er fans are upset at anything they should be upset at their defence giving up so many points in the first half. Just cause they clawed it back vs Atlanta doesn't mean they deserved to win this game.

Tezz

Reaction score
Jimmy Smith had Crabtree in almost a bear hug that would be a penalty on the defense on most occasions. I dont think you will ever see offensive pass interference called in that instance as Jimmy Smith impeded Crabtree and didn't try to play the ball.

9ers should've let Kaep run it, it works quite well with the running QBs near the goalline

wileedog

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4992733 said:
What about the blatant holding in the end zone?

I didn't think it was blatant at all, and I thought Crabtree was both initiating contact and pushing off as much as Smith was impeding anything. That's not even getting into if the ball was catchable at all.

Perfect non-call in a critical situation IMO. Exactly where a ref should not be deciding the play.