Super serious discussion: when did they abandon RKG?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I just remember a time when the idea we'd take a guy like Tyran Mathieu or leveon bell was literally "off the board". Which ....fine. But we have obviously now starting dealing with Guys with worse flaws than some 20 year old collegiates who could've used some leadership and guidance. Young, cheap, quiet players who could've been the future of the team.

I just am frustrated with the flip on stance as I would've loved to root for some of the aforementioned players.

If this is seen as too negative don't lock it I like Garrett now and I feel I was kinda wrong about him. There's something to be said for his stable approach as I see it as a franchise building tool with a consistent message that doesn't waiver.

This thread is all over the place I've had a lot of coffee im shaking.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Part of it is first establishing a locker room foundation to build on.
Then, theoretically, you have in place an organization that can better manage the more problematic players.

At least that's how it works in theory.
They're now in the 4th full year, so they should have a culture in place.
I'll leave it to others to decide if that's true or not, but that is the thinking.

And yes, RKG is more about love of the game, work ethic, and heart. Not necessarily choirboy.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Right kind of guy isn't always a 'no issue' type of player. They just want someone who will practice hard and work at being the best man he can be. Yes, Randy Gregory got suspended in college for smoking weed, but that doesn't exempt him from being a RKG with the cowboys automatically. I mean, look at Sam Hurd. Seemed like a down to earth, religious, happy guy, but he had a dark side to him.

The way Broadus and Eatman have mentioned in the past, RKG is just someone who's looking to improve every day as a player and person. There are multiple examples of players who have had issues, came into the right system, and then never had problems again.

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
I just remember a time when the idea we'd take a guy like Tyran Mathieu or leveon bell was literally "off the board". Which ....fine. But we have obviously now starting dealing with Guys with worse flaws than some 20 year old collegiates who could've used some leadership and guidance. Young, cheap, quiet players who could've been the future of the team.

I just am frustrated with the flip on stance as I would've loved to root for some of the aforementioned players.

If this is seen as too negative don't lock it I like Garrett now and I feel I was kinda wrong about him. There's something to be said for his stable approach as I see it as a franchise building tool with a consistent message that doesn't waiver.

This thread is all over the place I've had a lot of coffee im shaking.

I think people mistake RKG for guy who doesn't have problems with the law..

RKG - guy who is relentless, loves football, plays hard..

Not RKG - lazy, questionable motor, projected on field value not worth off field issues

I believe that is the difference -- the idea that the guy will play his a** off, and that the organization believes he is a blue chip talent if successful.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Right kind of guy isn't always a 'no issue' type of player. They just want someone who will practice hard and work at being the best man he can be. Yes, Randy Gregory got suspended in college for smoking weed, but that doesn't exempt him from being a RKG with the cowboys automatically. I mean, look at Sam Hurd. Seemed like a down to earth, religious, happy guy, but he had a dark side to him.

The way Broadus and Eatman have mentioned in the past, RKG is just someone who's looking to improve every day as a player and person. There are multiple examples of players who have had issues, came into the right system, and then never had problems again.

So.....like 95% of the NFL? I mean, how many player who have made it to the NFL don't want to be better and make more money?

I guess this explains why just about any player the team signs is an RKG.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

RKG is just a nonsense hollow infallible term to justify every personnel decision. It means nothing. Makes a lot of people feel good though.

My right kind of guy is anyone who helps the team win.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score

Maybe new facts came out since this but, I read a long butt article about every detail
About how Hurd got into that mess and I wouldn't call him an evil person. I really recommend it

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
That's Garretts motto not the joneses . It was obvious Garrett was pissed at drafting randy Gregory . While Stephan jones was like a kid on Christmas (from the videos I've seen inside the war room )

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
They cut two players just recently at a position that was weak to begin with because they just didn't seem to get it. Both of them had some talent and could have helped the team as well as themselves if only they had a clue.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So.....like 95% of the NFL? I mean, how many player who have made it to the NFL don't want to be better and make more money?

I guess this explains why just about any player the team signs is an RKG.

There's a ton of NFL players that don't have that hunger to get better after they land a huge contract. It may even be the majority....especially if it's just relative to before they got that big money.

robjay04

Reaction score
It seems like Jerry did something similar when he thought we were a couple players away in the past. Pacman and Tank comes to mind.

Our team really isn't made up of a bunch of bad characters. Greg Hardy I guess, besides that...Dez?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
It seems like Jerry did something similar when he thought we were a couple players away in the past. Pacman and Tank comes to mind.

Our team really isn't made up of a bunch of bad characters. Greg Hardy I guess, besides that...Dez?

What's so bad about dez he's passionate and loud meh. I always thought "distraction " was overblown when it came to guys Terrell Owens. But I could see myself as a player being distracted by Greg hardy.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
How about a RKC? A coach that can make some in game adjustments

I think he played it safe on all these games hoping a game Or two would bounce our way. To go winless really was crazy bad luck. If they could've won one or two I think they'd take the division

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RKG has never meant boy scout. I don't think we've necessarily added anybody who didn't fit the original description of what Jason said he was looking for day-one.

I imagine this is in regards to Greg Hardy, right? Missing the meeting last week was, potentially, the only thing he's done here that would run afoul of the RKG description. And that's the one thing that appeared to get him into hot water.

Other than that, though, we're continuing to invest in and extend hardworking smart players who put football first. That's pretty much been the objective, all along.

bark

Reaction score

That's what I remember. When jerry thinks we are close all bets are off