Super serious discussion: when did they abandon RKG?

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Right kind of guy isn't always a 'no issue' type of player. They just want someone who will practice hard and work at being the best man he can be. Yes, Randy Gregory got suspended in college for smoking weed, but that doesn't exempt him from being a RKG with the cowboys automatically. I mean, look at Sam Hurd. Seemed like a down to earth, religious, happy guy, but he had a dark side to him.

The way Broadus and Eatman have mentioned in the past, RKG is just someone who's looking to improve every day as a player and person. There are multiple examples of players who have had issues, came into the right system, and then never had problems again.

Sam Hurd played me.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
So.....like 95% of the NFL? I mean, how many player who have made it to the NFL don't want to be better and make more money?

I guess this explains why just about any player the team signs is an RKG.

Not necessarily. Some guys have such God given ability they can fall out of bed and be outstanding. Some put in work and become outstanding.

Then there are those like Tony and Witt.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
RKG has never meant boy scout. I don't think we've necessarily added anybody who didn't fit the original description of what Jason said he was looking for day-one.

I imagine this is in regards to Greg Hardy, right? Missing the meeting last week was, potentially, the only thing he's done here that would run afoul of the RKG description. And that's the one thing that appeared to get him into hot water.

Other than that, though, we're continuing to invest in and extend hardworking smart players who put football first. That's pretty much been the objective, all along.

Right.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
We took Marcus Peters off our board and he has 4 interceptions this season.

They drop guys off Our board like flies what happened to taking a guy under your wing?

Hardy is clearly a deal with the devil. Whistling past the graveyard. Don't eat cheese before noon.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Some guys have such God given ability they can fall out of bed and be outstanding. Some put in work and become outstanding.

Then there are those like Tony and Witt.

And i would say they are a small minority amongst the 1600 players on the active rosters.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I just remember a time when the idea we'd take a guy like Tyran Mathieu or leveon bell was literally "off the board". Which ....fine. But we have obviously now starting dealing with Guys with worse flaws than some 20 year old collegiates who could've used some leadership and guidance. Young, cheap, quiet players who could've been the future of the team.

I just am frustrated with the flip on stance as I would've loved to root for some of the aforementioned players.

If this is seen as too negative don't lock it I like Garrett now and I feel I was kinda wrong about him. There's something to be said for his stable approach as I see it as a franchise building tool with a consistent message that doesn't waiver.

This thread is all over the place I've had a lot of coffee im shaking.

Whenever I hear RKG, you're the first person who comes to mind.

T-RO

Reaction score
"Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the nose" - Mike Tyson

Coaches need to win to keep their jobs.

If you think it was Jason's Garrett's idea to bring in Hardy you don't have a clue. That is 100% Jerry Jones. Jerry is so undisciplined he doesn't even try to reign in his boozing way. It takes discipline and self-restraint to build the right kind or organization with the right kind of people.

Jones has never had that.

Only Jimmy Johnson's self discipline built championships. It's been Jerry Jones loser-ville ever since JJ departed.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
"Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the nose" - Mike Tyson

Coaches need to win to keep their jobs.

I've read all the replies in this thread and the 1st one is the truest.
Coaches can come in with all sorts of idealism and verbiage, but when the tookus hits the rotating blades...

Coach doesn't pick the players anyway. He gives his desires to the men who are in player acquisition and they go from there.
RKG was all about guys who desire to win on the football field over anything else anyways and although the team has deviated somewhat from that, desperately searching for talent, but still kind of has stuck to code, despite other transgressions being ignored in the process.

Whatever. I'm going to see what's so great about milk and honey. BRB.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just remember a time when the idea we'd take a guy like Tyran Mathieu or leveon bell was literally "off the board". Which ....fine. But we have obviously now starting dealing with Guys with worse flaws than some 20 year old collegiates who could've used some leadership and guidance. Young, cheap, quiet players who could've been the future of the team.

I just am frustrated with the flip on stance as I would've loved to root for some of the aforementioned players.

If this is seen as too negative don't lock it I like Garrett now and I feel I was kinda wrong about him. There's something to be said for his stable approach as I see it as a franchise building tool with a consistent message that doesn't waiver.

This thread is all over the place I've had a lot of coffee im shaking.

You have to wonder if maybe the success of the fore mentioned players has led to some reconsideration.

" RKG" was never really an off the field thing, it was more a football character thing. In that regards Michael was stretch then Hardy and Michael barely lasted half a season

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If you think it was Jason's Garrett's idea to bring in Hardy you don't have a clue. That is 100% Jerry Jones. Jerry is so undisciplined he doesn't even try to reign in his boozing way. It takes discipline and self-restraint to build the right kind or organization with the right kind of people.

Jones has never had that.

Only Jimmy Johnson's self discipline built championships. It's been Jerry Jones loser-ville ever since JJ departed.

Did I say anything about Hardy?

But while we are at it I don't see JG sitting him for any of these major transgressions.

RKG is a resume filler and sounds good during interviews.

Coachable guys are easy. It is what you get from the knuckleheads that separates the great ones. CMichael is a great example. He has a ton of talent but JG didn't like his attitude and buried him and then cut him and we are still scraping Practice Squads for RBs.

visionary

Reaction score
I think people mistake RKG for guy who doesn't have problems with the law..

RKG - guy who is relentless, loves football, plays hard..

Not RKG - lazy, questionable motor, projected on field value not worth off field issues

I believe that is the difference -- the idea that the guy will play his a** off, and that the organization believes he is a blue chip talent if successful.

Exactly

Sort of like Brandon Carr or Mo Claiborne, or mike Jenkins or Jo Randle, or ......

Oh wait ..

visionary

Reaction score
This is just a sound bite for fans to lap up

Why is this anything special?

Can Garrett homies please find me a list of HCs who want uncoachable players who don't love football ?

Thanx in advance

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The premise of the question presumes the RKG strategy has been abandon. I don't know that it has been abandon by the coaching staff, rather it's been misunderstood by those judging it as "adandoned". It was never a mandate to be a RKG to be on the team. The "RKG" was an ideal goal to strive for, as JG has repeatedly said... it's a process.