Super serious discussion: when did they abandon RKG?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Speaking of RKG isnt that why we took hitchens over Telvin Smith? Watching him make every tackle in this Titans game.

T-RO

Reaction score
Did I say anything about Hardy?

But while we are at it I don't see JG sitting him for any of these major transgressions.

RKG is a resume filler and sounds good during interviews.

Coachable guys are easy. It is what you get from the knuckleheads that separates the great ones. CMichael is a great example. He has a ton of talent but JG didn't like his attitude and buried him and then cut him and we are still scraping Practice Squads for RBs.

I'm not a big JG backer...but I certainly don't see him on the list of the top 3 things wrong withe the Cowboys. Jerry's name is lodged in all 3 top positions. Jerry, owner. Jerry, GM, Jerry head-coach.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
There is not a single coach in the NFL that doesn't want the "right kind of guy". It's just flowery coach speak that doesn't mean anything.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I just remember a time when the idea we'd take a guy like Tyran Mathieu or leveon bell was literally "off the board". Which ....fine. But we have obviously now starting dealing with Guys with worse flaws than some 20 year old collegiates who could've used some leadership and guidance. Young, cheap, quiet players who could've been the future of the team.

I just am frustrated with the flip on stance as I would've loved to root for some of the aforementioned players.

If this is seen as too negative don't lock it I like Garrett now and I feel I was kinda wrong about him. There's something to be said for his stable approach as I see it as a franchise building tool with a consistent message that doesn't waiver.

This thread is all over the place I've had a lot of coffee im shaking.

RKG was made out to be MUCH more than it ever was and used in so many stupid "feuds" in here that it blew up to mean something to us, not really the team. my thoughts anyway.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
A team will miss out on good players they need if they only take RKG's.
I think the media has been unfair to hardy, every game they talk about and bring up the same thing over and over.
None of them or us know all the details on what happened yet most will judge him anyway.
To properly judge someone you kinda need all the facts and info, not just bits and pieces.

I find it odd the pictures were released to the Internet, and the timing.

I dont watch or havent seen any Minnesota games, but @ anyone who has, do they bring up him whipping his kid each game?

There are many players in hof or were stars, who were not RKG's.

As for hardy, I think the only thing that matters is how his teammates feel about him, if they are ok with him on the team,
then that is all that is needed

If many were against it then maybe he should go.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches should minimize speaking about their coaching ideology publicly. Doing so would prevent even the most transparently obvious terms from being misconstrued.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Coaches should minimize speaking about their coaching ideology publicly. Doing so would prevent even the most transparently obvious terms from being misconstrued.

i think The earlier guy with the Tyson quote was right and you're wrong bc an opportunistic player wouldn't squander a year of his youth just to perform a beating on a female. This was like romos last or second to last season at an elite level I think they just closed their eyes and did the deal

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
There is not a single coach in the NFL that doesn't want the "right kind of guy". It's just flowery coach speak that doesn't mean anything.

Maybe. But there was a good stretch run where the Cowboys had the lowest number of arrests in the league.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think The earlier guy with the Tyson quote was right and you're wrong bc an opportunistic player wouldn't squander a year of his youth just to perform a beating on a female. This was like romos last or second to last season at an elite level I think they just closed their eyes and did the deal
Right and wrong is relative when there are people continuingly obsessing (correct term) over terminology Garrett stated publicly...

Wait. Just HOW long ago did this particular term begin disturbing personal sensibilities without end anyway?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Right and wrong is relative when there are people continuingly obsessing (correct term) over terminology Garrett stated publicly...

Wait. Just HOW long ago did this particular term begin disturbing personal sensibilities without end anyway?

I have a girlfriend, but thanks anyway

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I just remember a time when the idea we'd take a guy like Tyran Mathieu or leveon bell was literally "off the board". Which ....fine. But we have obviously now starting dealing with Guys with worse flaws than some 20 year old collegiates who could've used some leadership and guidance. Young, cheap, quiet players who could've been the future of the team.

I just am frustrated with the flip on stance as I would've loved to root for some of the aforementioned players.

If this is seen as too negative don't lock it I like Garrett now and I feel I was kinda wrong about him. There's something to be said for his stable approach as I see it as a franchise building tool with a consistent message that doesn't waiver.

Right kind of guy = guys who practice hard, play great on game day and whose talent outweighs their off field issues. But when their off field issues become greater or outweigh their on field performance they become the wrong kind of guy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's Garretts motto not the joneses . It was obvious Garrett was pissed at drafting randy Gregory . While Stephan jones was like a kid on Christmas (from the videos I've seen inside the war room )

When the boys passed on Shariff Floyd and traded down....Red was upset but just sat. Stephen and Jerry were having arguments with the scouts in the room about it and they left the room and took the camera down. When they came back the Jones were still making their case to others in the room.

That was a different draft.

When the boys took Randy Gregory...everyone in the room was high fiving and excited...Jason was not upset in the least that I recall.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Someone asked Jim Boeheim from Syracuse how he taught rebounding to his guys and he said "we recruit guys that are 6'10", 6'11" and 7' and tell them to go get the ball."

It is easy to teach a bunch of RKGs and that is why JG said he likes them. It is like saying you prefer to draft All-Americans, no duh.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

RKG was a theory that Garrett liked to preach about. But since he doesnt pick the personnel or do much more than clap and pat fannies, the RKG thing never materialized. Jerry doesnt care what RKG means and he doesnt bother sticking to it.

Although I have found it hilarious to listen to the Clappy lovers change and alter the definition of what a RKG is over the years as to try and defend their hero. Its also been just as funny watching Garrett do the same thing in the media as he has had to defend the term when its quite obvious that its not being adhered to by the people that actually fill the roster.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Someone asked Jim Boeheim from Syracuse how he taught rebounding to his guys and he said "we recruit guys that are 6'10", 6'11" and 7' and tell them to go get the ball."

It is easy to teach a bunch of RKGs and that is why JG said he likes them. It is like saying you prefer to draft All-Americans, no duh.

RKG means solid citizens, leaders, both on and off the field that love the game of football. Smart football players. Garrett specifically talked about drafting guys that were captains of their teams in college. But since it was obvious no one was listening and then even more obvious that he had little control over personnel, he has been forced to alter his definition to the media when grilled about it.

If guys that beat their GF's, scream on the sidelines and throw tantrums, scream at the media, retire multiple times before the age of 25, dont like to practice, kill your best friend while drunk driving, steal underwear, miss practice, are all the RKG's then the term means absolutely nothing.

OR, as is quite obvious, Garrett has little to no control over personnel.