Supplemental Draft News

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
NFL | Supplemental draft coming in July
Thu, 18 May 2006 15:35:44 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports the NFL will hold a supplemental draft July 13. Rules of the supplemental draft stipulate that it has to take place at least 10 days prior to opening of first training camp. Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First comes the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the eight playoff teams. The paperwork hasn't officially been filed yet for this year's supplemental draft, but there are at least two players who will get a close look from scouts around the league, LB Ahmad Brooks (Virginia) and DE Jason Berryman (Iowa State).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If Groh gives a positive evaluation, I'd love to see us get Brooks with a 6th -- we've got the Jets' pick there

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc said:
If Groh gives a positive evaluation, I'd love to see us get Brooks with a 6th -- we've got the Jets' pick there
Absolutely, a 6th would be worth it. Stockpile those LBs. The guy apparently has great potential.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
abersonc said:
If we can hit on a player with his talent for a 6th that would be great. But I would want to know that he is staying in shape and is serious about football. I have heard that he is getting bad out of shape and his attitude about playing isn't so great; if this is true I'd just as soon keep the 6th round pick.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
abersonc said:

I doubt Brooks would last that long, but if we could get him then it would be great. I'd go with a fourth.

Reaction score
Ahmad starting to believe the hype about him too much. Should have focus on himself to get better. If he does you have a top ten type player

aznhalf

Reaction score
I'd give up a second day pick for him depending on how he tests out. I wouldn't give up a valuable first day pick even if it is going to be at the end of each round:D

Just by feeling the buzz around him it seems like someone will gamble on him with a 3rd round bid before we get the chance.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc said:

why would he give a positive evaluation? He just threw the loser off the team..he is out of shape and has been trouble there since day one

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Brooks I'd be interested in. I don't know much about Berryman and I think we're well rounded at DE. It doesn't seem like we're going to offer Ellis in a trade to anyone so I wouldn't make an offer on him. Be interesting to know what Groh tells Parcells about Brooks. Or what Parham and Canty tell him for that matter.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
why would he give a positive evaluation? He just threw the loser off the team..he is out of shape and has been trouble there since day one

David

Groh is towing the line on discipline -- it wasn't only Brooks who was tossed.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
If he can be had for a 5th or later, GET HIM. He got thrown off the team, but look at UVA's offseason. They have had a lot of issues. He's an athletic, dynamic player. Canty should have valuable insight for us.

Eskimo

Reaction score
With so many teams switching to a 3-4 scheme, someone will snap him up in the second or third round at the latest if he shows up in shape and passes the physicals.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
With so many teams switching to a 3-4 scheme, someone will snap him up in the second or third round at the latest if he shows up in shape and passes the physicals.
That's exactly what I think will happen. My money will be on Romeo Crennel & Cleveland BTW.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo said:

People say that about Manuel Wright too (going 2nd or 3rd) -- where'd he go?

Eskimo

Reaction score
abersonc said:
People say that about Manuel Wright too (going 2nd or 3rd) -- where'd he go?

Wright is a different caliber of player. People were talking about Brooks as top-15 pick last year up there with Merriman and Ware. If he checks out physically someone will give up a first day pick for him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Brooks I'd be interested in. I don't know much about Berryman and I think we're well rounded at DE. It doesn't seem like we're going to offer Ellis in a trade to anyone so I wouldn't make an offer on him. Be interesting to know what Groh tells Parcells about Brooks. Or what Parham and Canty tell him for that matter.
Not sure where I saw the blurb, but apparently Canty has talked him up. There was a quote about how he's one of the most athletic and talented LB he's ever seen or something to that effect. I'd have to dig to find it, but it was in some article about Brooks.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Berry's a 'tweener DE, 240 pounds of 3-4 OLB...

With a depressingly lengthy rap sheet... but his freshman year, he was highly productive... Big XII Defensive Rookie of the Year, or something like that...