Supplemental Draft News

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Brooks is a waste of time...I have no idea why so many of you are all over this guys jock...if he werent a pot head trouble maker who was massively overweight and played poorly last yr I might could see the enfatuation, but since that isnt the case, I just dont get it

I think I can answer that question. Because fans love to get steals. Brooks has (had) all world talent at one time, or at least was being touted as being a monster physically. He has the ability to be a true difference maker at ILB. Fans love the idea of getting a player with that kind of ability in later rounds. Quite simply, its a chance they're willing to take.

If you miss, you've lost a 3rd or 4th round pick... not good, but not that bad either. If you hit, you could potentially have a true impact player at a position that is very important in a 3-4 defense. A hit could help make the defense dominant. A miss would leave us right where we are now, minus a later round pick next year.

Like I said... its a chance that many fans would be willing to take.

As for myself, I'm not sure which way I'd go. For the reasons above, I could see us doing it. But because the chemistry of a team is so important and we've built such a high character group of guys on defense, I'd be a little loath to add in a trouble maker... or at least trouble magnent like Brooks.

The worse case senario would be that he doesn't completely flop and shows a lot of ability. That he comes in and makes an immediate impact and makes the defense much better... and then gets caught with pot and start causing problems in the locker room. Then he'd be hard to simply cut because he makes a difference on the field, but you'd want to get rid of him because he's screwing things up off the field.

In the end, I suppose I'd pass on him, but I wouldn't be too upset if Parcells decided to take a flyer on him with Al Groh's blessing.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
In the end, I suppose I'd pass on him, but I wouldn't be too upset if Parcells decided to take a flyer on him with Al Groh's blessing.

and once again, if Groh was going to "give his blessing" or an "endoresement", he wouldnt have been kicked off the team in the first place...groh decided he wasnt worth the trouble anymore...he was good as a FR and SO, but he was horrible last yr, got fat and is a druggie...WASTE OF TIME

and no matter what spin people want to put on this waste of time, he simply doesnt have a spot here...James is better than he is and is going to get a longterm deal, Ayodele just got a long term deal...Brooks isnt going to play ahead of either of those guys and certainly isnt going to play OLB ahead of Ware or Carpenter either

David

Eskimo

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
and once again, if Groh was going to "give his blessing" or an "endoresement", he wouldnt have been kicked off the team in the first place...groh decided he wasnt worth the trouble anymore...he was good as a FR and SO, but he was horrible last yr, got fat and is a druggie...WASTE OF TIME

and no matter what spin people want to put on this waste of time, he simply doesnt have a spot here...James is better than he is and is going to get a longterm deal, Ayodele just got a long term deal...Brooks isnt going to play ahead of either of those guys and certainly isnt going to play OLB ahead of Ware or Carpenter either

David

I think James is severely overrated by most people here (he is merely adequate) and Ayodele is completely untested as a 3-4 ILB. When you add in the fact that Fowler is a one-dimensional run stuffer and Burnett's health is tenuous, I would be hard pressed to gush over our ILB crew.

OLB looks okay for now with Carpenter, Ware, Singleton and Boiman.

A healthy and committed Brooks would be a starter before the year is through putting one of James or Ayodele on the bench. Of course, there is no guarantee that Brooks would be healthy or committed.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
A healthy and committed Brooks would be a starter before the year is through putting one of James or Ayodele on the bench. Of course, there is no guarantee that Brooks would be healthy or committed.

the phrase we have to look at here is, "is Brook's talent worth the trouble?"

we'll find out soon enough, it he's that talented in Dallas' eye