Supposedly Cowboys had a second round grade on Weeden

RS12

Reaction score
My take: Thank god for Cleveland scouts and the Mo trade of their second round pick. Prevented a possible two extra years of suckage.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Most of the teams had him 1st or 2nd round grade.

Right. The grade is just based on potential. Nobody knows how a particular player will pan out. There have been a lot of high first round picks at QB that have been awful in the NFL. The Cowboys having him graded as a 2nd rounder is not a bad thing at all.

visionary

Reaction score
It does not matter what they thought 4-5 years back. The fact that our FO still thought that this pile of crap could be our primary back up QB with the realistic possibility of starting a few games, going into this season, is the true indictment

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. The grade is just based on potential. Nobody knows how a particular player will pan out. There have been a lot of high first round picks at QB that have been awful in the NFL. The Cowboys having him graded as a 2nd rounder is not a bad thing at all.

I see it as further proof that they don't know what to look for in the quarterback position.

Hopefully that has changed in the time since, but all facts unfortunately show otherwise.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I see it as further proof that they don't know what to look for in the quarterback position.

Hopefully that has changed in the time since, but all facts unfortunately show otherwise.

I disagree. QB's often dont live up to their potential and its common in the NFL. Has been for years. And its prob why Jerry wont pick one in the draft.

John813

Reaction score
He did well in College.

IMO scouting QB's is one of the hardest things to do IMO.

It's the most important position in the NFL, and with a lot of teams in the NCAA going to the spread, it's tough to accurately grade QB's and try to project how they'll fare in the NFL. Weeden had the physical tools to be a 1st/2nd round QB. Mentally, he couldn't cut it in this league as a quality backup.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. QB's often dont live up to their potential and its common in the NFL. Has been for years. And its prob why Jerry wont pick one in the draft.

So the solution for doing poorly in acquiring talent at the quarterback position is to stop trying?

:huh:

Doomsay

Reaction score
Fresh out of college overestimations are forgivable, it's the blown evaluation on the re-drafting, that is not.