Supposedly Cowboys had a second round grade on Weeden

remdak

Reaction score
Fresh out of college overestimations are forgivable, it's the blown evaluation on the re-drafting, that is not.

I'll agree with you on that. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
It's similar to Claiborne. If the Cowboys had not have picked him at 6, he would gone in the top 10 anyway. He was supposed to be a stud. But, he is obviously not. The thing that hurts about Mo is that they traded up to get him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I didnt say that. Im simply acknowledging that drafting QB's is a crap shoot.

Always has been, always will be. And that's why it's so important to do a better job evaluating and coaching at that spot than anyone else. We haven't done that for years and year and years.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Always has been, always will be. And that's why it's so important to do a better job evaluating and coaching at that spot than anyone else. We haven't done that for years and year and years.

Most teams dont do as well as we think they should.

Seattle lucked into Russell Wilson. NE lucked into Tom Cry Brady. We lucked into Romo.

Its not easy and because a good QB is so hard to find teams are forced to draft based on potential. There are many misses because guys dont live up to their potential.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most teams dont do as well as we think they should.

Seattle lucked into Russell Wilson. NE lucked into Tom Cry Brady. We lucked into Romo.

I'll agree with the last two, but I don't see where Seattle 'lucked' into Wilson. I see smart scouting and drafting there and being undeterred by the prototypical size requirements.

Its not easy and because a good QB is so hard to find teams are forced to draft based on potential. There are many misses because guys dont live up to their potential.

It's the hardest thing to do in all of pro sports in my opinion, and that's why it needs to be of the highest priority to do it better than everyone else.

And in my opinion, we haven't just done poorly, we've failed miserably. And that needs to change and change quickly.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I'll agree with the last two, but I don't see where Seattle 'lucked' into Wilson. I see smart scouting and drafting there and being undeterred by the prototypical size requirements.

It's the hardest thing to do in all of pro sports in my opinion, and that's why it needs to be of the highest priority to do it better than everyone else.

And in my opinion, we haven't just done poorly, we've failed miserably. And that needs to change and change quickly.

I think Seattle was lucky. 31 other teams could have taken him before them and none did.

And yes we do need to improve our QB philosophy rather than get the Ryan Leaf's off the trash pile.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He went in the first and that's where he was projected to go.

Nothing to see here.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Yeah at that time the consensus was Weeden was late first or second round pick. But some ppl question if he was trying to go pro for a pay check. I mean Weeden had all the tools, arm, winning qb, height etc. The one aspect no one takes into account is his mental make up.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If they thought Russell would be a pro bowler they'd have drafted him in the first.

I mean when they drafted him they also lavished Matt Flynn with a 3 year 26m deal with 10m guaranteed.

What happened in their scouting of Flynn?

The draft is largely about good fortune.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I see it as further proof that they don't know what to look for in the quarterback position.

Hopefully that has changed in the time since, but all facts unfortunately show otherwise.

Lot of teams had high grades on Weeden. QB is a crap shoot

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think Seattle was lucky. 31 other teams could have taken him before them and none did.

And yes we do need to improve our QB philosophy rather than get the Ryan Leaf's off the trash pile.

Serious question.

You say Seattle was lucky. So is the entire draft one of luck? And if not, how do you differentiate between drafting based on "skill" and drafting based on "luck"?

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Serious question.

You say Seattle was lucky. So is the entire draft one of luck? And if not, how do you differentiate between drafting based on "skill" and drafting based on "luck"?

To a certain degree there is SOME luck involved, dont you think? I never said the entire draft is luck.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they thought Russell would be a pro bowler they'd have drafted him in the first.

They saw the ability in him that others - including the Cowboys - failed to see. That's reason enough for praise.

[quite]I mean when they drafted him they also lavished Matt Flynn with a 3 year 26m deal with 10m guaranteed.

What happened in their scouting of Flynn?[/quote]

It looks to me like they covered themselves either way, smart if you ask me and something we can learn from. Flynn was signed before Wilson was drafted but the team still took him because they knew they had a big need. Again, that cause for praise, not ridicule. If you want to criticize anyone, look no further than what the Cowboys have done since Aikman retired.

The draft is largely about good fortune.

It plays some role, but to use the term 'largely about good fortune' is overly dismissive and a discredit to anyone in the scouting business.

wileedog

Reaction score
Most of the teams had him 1st or 2nd round grade.

Maybe, but I would have been pretty ticked off if we had wasted a 2nd round pick on a 28 year old QB - a position that takes several years to get up to speed in the NFL. Even if Weeden had lived up to his scouting he would be on the wrong side of 30 when he was playing to his potential.

And don't forget that much of that college scouting happened with him playing at 27 against 19-21 year old players.

Should not have been on anyone's board IMO except for late round flyer.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
To a certain degree there is SOME luck involved, dont you think? I never said the entire draft is luck.

I didn't say you do. I'm just trying to understand how you would determine a team picking based on skill and one picking based on luck.
I think it's a combination of both. Maybe you do too. I'm just trying to better understand the "it's all luck" perspective.
I'm not trying to be argumentative (which I can do at times. :)) Just trying to understand.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
They saw the ability in him that others - including the Cowboys - failed to see. That's reason enough for praise.

[quite]I mean when they drafted him they also lavished Matt Flynn with a 3 year 26m deal with 10m guaranteed.

What happened in their scouting of Flynn?

It looks to me like they covered themselves either way, smart if you ask me and something we can learn from. Flynn was signed before Wilson was drafted but the team still took him because they knew they had a big need. Again, that cause for praise, not ridicule. If you want to criticize anyone, look no further than what the Cowboys have done since Aikman retired.

It plays some role, but to use the term 'largely about good fortune' is overly dismissive and a discredit to anyone in the scouting business.[/quote]

You sound like you'd make a very good gm after the fact.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I didn't say you do. I'm just trying to understand how you would determine a team picking based on skill and one picking based on luck.
I think it's a combination of both. Maybe you do too. I'm just trying to better understand the "it's all luck" perspective.
I'm not trying to be argumentative (which I can do at times. :)) Just trying to understand.

I dont think its all luck at all. But some is involved. And to be honest I dont know how you could really determine how much is luck vs. skill or how much of each is involved.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Okay, that means nothing about having a draft grade after the player has played in this league. We had two years of gametape to evaluate the guy..and all it shows is our pro personnel evaluators should take a pay cut. Although even Seattle erred in their Matt Flynn signing.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The entire league I'm sure had a 1st or 2nd round grade on him. If not for his age, he probably goes higher in that draft.