Surprise: Xavier Woods nearly a top 5 FS

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-five-NFL-free-safety-numbers-show-125814766/

Here's how Woods' numbers stack up against the field, each of the others also playing almost exclusively at free safety:

Xavier Woods [10 starts] - 2 INTs, 7 PBUs, 1 FF, 39 combined tackles

D.J. Swearinger [11 starts] - 4 INTs, 10 PBUs, 3 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 40 combined tackles

Mike Adams [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 6 PBUs, 63 combined tackles

Jessie Bates [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 5 PBUs, 87 combined tackles

Jordan Poyer [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 4 PBUs, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 69 combined tackles

Justin Simmons [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 4 PBUs, 78 combined tackles

Kevin Byard [12 starts] - 2 INTs, 4 PBUs, 62 combined tackles

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
That's remarkable given the S mistakes we talked about regularly for the first month of the season.

Pass the salt, please. I can't eat this crow raw.
It was K. Richard who coached up and turned the Seahawks secondary into monsters.

Maybe he was the guy saying we don't need to trade for ET if the price isn't right.

Whatever he's doing, I trust him re: all decisions secondary related.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-five-NFL-free-safety-numbers-show-125814766/

Here's how Woods' numbers stack up against the field, each of the others also playing almost exclusively at free safety:

Xavier Woods [10 starts] - 2 INTs, 7 PBUs, 1 FF, 39 combined tackles

D.J. Swearinger [11 starts] - 4 INTs, 10 PBUs, 3 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 40 combined tackles

Mike Adams [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 6 PBUs, 63 combined tackles

Jessie Bates [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 5 PBUs, 87 combined tackles

Jordan Poyer [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 4 PBUs, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 69 combined tackles

Justin Simmons [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 4 PBUs, 78 combined tackles

Kevin Byard [12 starts] - 2 INTs, 4 PBUs, 62 combined tackles

Well next thing they'll make us believe is that Jeff "ledger" Heath is a good safety.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's playing well but I am not not sure I'd put him near the Top 5 yet. And frankly, there are some safeties not on that list that might not have numbers this year that I would take over Woods in a heartbeat like Harrison Smith on Minnesota.

And I am a Woods fan. But he's not quite there yet. I like him more than Heath though.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
He's playing well but I am not not sure I'd put him near the Top 5 yet. And frankly, there are some safeties not on that list that might not have numbers this year that I would take over Woods in a heartbeat like Harrison Smith on Minnesota.

And I am a Woods fan. But he's not quite there yet. I like him more than Heath though.
Same. Replacing Heath is a higher priority in my book.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I will honestly say that I was one who has underestimated him so far. Thought he had a "ho-hum" year his first year, and he has quietly been effective this year. Was very happy when we got him in the 6th round of the draft, but just expected him to be a rotational special teams player.
Good for him, and very glad Richard is working wonders with these guys !

stiletto

Reaction score
Richard has turned our back-end around. People will complain about the safeties but coaching matters. The front 7 was always pretty good but the Corners and Safeties have all played much better the last 4-5 weeks and a couple of the teams had Elite passing attacks. (NO and Atlanta).

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Woods had been solid, but raw are not a good indicator of a DB's quality

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
For all you saying it's Kris Richard who's making Woods a good player need to tap the breaks. I love Richard over Marinelli whose bend but don't break philosophy was pathetic but understand that Woods is a good player because he is. He is dedicated, studies and plays hard. He's a sound tackler, plays smart, fast and tough. He's good in coverage, takes good/great angles to the ball carrier and finishes very well. He's a player and he was last year when he had his opportunities.