Surprise: Xavier Woods nearly a top 5 FS

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If Woods continues playing well I can't see how it makes sense. We've got a lot of guys to extend/sign. If Woods is top 10 I'd go with him and draft a young guy. When your picks are good starters, you play em and spend the cash on to upgrade players who aren't so good.

When you have a chance to add a transformative player to your defense you do it IMO. I'm also not as high as alot of people on Woods. I don't think he's a reliable tackler for a safety. I do think he has utility and a place on the team but I'm not holding starting position for him over a guy like ET. There's also certain intangibles you gain adding a guy like Thomas in terms of instant leadership.

Reactions: BAT

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-five-NFL-free-safety-numbers-show-125814766/

Here's how Woods' numbers stack up against the field, each of the others also playing almost exclusively at free safety:

Xavier Woods [10 starts] - 2 INTs, 7 PBUs, 1 FF, 39 combined tackles

D.J. Swearinger [11 starts] - 4 INTs, 10 PBUs, 3 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 40 combined tackles

Mike Adams [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 6 PBUs, 63 combined tackles

Jessie Bates [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 5 PBUs, 87 combined tackles

Jordan Poyer [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 4 PBUs, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 69 combined tackles

Justin Simmons [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 4 PBUs, 78 combined tackles

Kevin Byard [12 starts] - 2 INTs, 4 PBUs, 62 combined tackles
Yeah more proof there is no need for a broken down, me first, decllining, old FS next year!! Let the young kids grow!!

bark

Reaction score
Uhh, yeah, I'm still looking to sign Earl Thomas in the offseason if the money is right.
Would love to add earl but it seems the money is never right enough for him.
Don’t see him settling for anything less than highest paid at his position.

DanA

Reaction score
I'm happy with all of Heath, Woods and Fraizer but still want Earl. I think he'll be available for 8m a season given the injuries/age. It seems the market for safeties is very much in favor of franchises at the moment.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When you have a chance to add a transformative player to your defense you do it IMO. I'm also not as high as alot of people on Woods. I don't think he's a reliable tackler for a safety. I do think he has utility and a place on the team but I'm not holding starting position for him over a guy like ET. There's also certain intangibles you gain adding a guy like Thomas in terms of instant leadership.
That broke down old man ain't worth it. If you had your way he'd be on our IR list right now.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I dunno...I may back track a bit on the idea of signing Thomas. He seems like a headcase and Um not so sure that's a good thing to add to the mix here.What would he do to Woods' maturation? Woods has surprised me, indeed. Kris Richard should be Defensive coach of the year IMO. HE IS who we thought he was...the architect of the legion of Boom and a damn fine coach..leader of men. Best signing we have had in free agency in years, bar none..IS HIM. He was the perfect fit here.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well next thing they'll make us believe is that Jeff "ledger" Heath is a good safety.

I will say that he has done much better in run support than I thought he would do. I wouldn't say that's his comfort zone and he wasn't very good at it last year, but he seems to have settled into the role.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Same. Replacing Heath is a higher priority in my book.

If we want to keep Woods as the starter, then I'm not sure Thomas would make sense. Thomas is a free safety and Woods is a free safety. Some safeties can play either position, but I'm not sure if either one of these two would be a strong safety candidate (Woods isn't built for it; Thomas' career has been spent at FS).

If the priority is replacing Heath, I'm not sure who you get for that role.

Stephen Jones has said that safety is an offseason priority, and I know when they talked about it last year, they were focused in on free safety. So maybe we get Thomas or drafted a higher-quality FS and then give Woods a chance to show if he can unseat Heath at SS.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I will say that he has done much better in run support than I thought he would do. I wouldn't say that's his comfort zone and he wasn't very good at it last year, but he seems to have settled into the role.

Seriously i wouldnt even let him play in college.

He is flat out bad. He should be reduced to only playing special teams. And even there he would be a liablity because he is not a sure tackler. He tries to hit people hard but doesnt wrap up.

I can understand why he is still on this team. But it is time to find someone who can play. His missteps and bad reads are killing me. The guy has no clue. And he kills our own players with friendly fire because the game is way to fast for him.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
It was K. Richard who coached up and turned the Seahawks secondary into monsters.

Maybe he was the guy saying we don't need to trade for ET if the price isn't right.

Whatever he's doing, I trust him re: all decisions secondary related.

I hope he doesn't leave during the off season. They need to overpay to keep that guy. It's so obvious he's a good defensive coach. Yet, I was listening to a talk show, not sure if it's ESPN (don't shoot me) or NFL Radio on Sirius..but they stated it's better to find a young offensive mind than it is to find a defensive mind. I only know this much, the secondary and the rest of the defense are so much better this year. If we could only get the offense to step it up a little more...

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
I’m firmly in the camp of bringing in Thomas for now. Only if the leg heals up well and the price is right. Maybe he’ll settle for a home town discount since he loves the Cowboys. I also wouldn’t sign him to anymore than a 2 year deal given his age and recent injury history. That may be a lot to ask but you never know?

His leadership and talent would do great things for this defense IMO. He knows the system and would basically be an extension of Richard on the field.

All that said Woods has played well and I won’t be upset if the FO decides to just keep rolling with the youth movement. If Woods keeps improving the rest of the way he may make the decision easy.

ghst187

Reaction score
I’d be fine it’s adding ET in the offseason and playing X and ET with Heath as backup and core STer

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'm not that high on Woods either. But my comments were premised on "If Woods is top ten".

But I'm less impressed with Thomas too. And his intangibles. He's a guy who held out while under contract, then came back and broke, and seemed to blame the guys who, as events turned out, made exactly the right choice for the Seahawks in not extending Mr. Exploding Leg. And as for his on the field play, did I mention Exploding Leg?

From most of his comments, he seems to way overestimate his market value too. So much entitlement, malcontent, and injury risk. I'm hoping we're just outbid.

So I'm not as thrilled with both. In particular, I don't see Thomas as transformative. 5 years ago, he's transformative and I think I wanted him at the time. Not so much now. Draft a safety. Save the money for our guys without exploding legs.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-five-NFL-free-safety-numbers-show-125814766/

Here's how Woods' numbers stack up against the field, each of the others also playing almost exclusively at free safety:

D.J. Swearinger [11 starts] - 4 INTs, 10 PBUs, 3 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 40 combined tackles

Jordan Poyer [12 starts] - 3 INTs, 4 PBUs, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 69 combined tackles

Really wanted Bates and Simmons in the draft. Studs vs. run and can really hawk it when ball is in air.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like how Woods has played and he offers some good situational match-ups due to his CB type coverage skills.

Having said that, stats are not a good method to judge Safeties.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't leave during the off season. They need to overpay to keep that guy. It's so obvious he's a good defensive coach. Yet, I was listening to a talk show, not sure if it's ESPN (don't shoot me) or NFL Radio on Sirius..but they stated it's better to find a young offensive mind than it is to find a defensive mind. I only know this much, the secondary and the rest of the defense are so much better this year. If we could only get the offense to step it up a little more...
There is no salary cap for coaches..... that is one area Jerry can dominate other team and use his huge cash flow advantages

Pay him like a HC and bring in a young OC to go with him

Let RKGarrett run the big picture stuff and inspirational field trips