News: Surprised backup QB Cooper Rush given a tender?

quickccc

Reaction score
If it was just the "n" instead of you "m" I wouldn't have even brought the spelling up but it still has slipped by you that you also added an "h" and pretty much messed up everything past the "uss".

Also it was to show you how foolish your comments were by doing it right back at you.

LOL ... so how old did you say you were again ? :muttley:

Naah, ..you can go ahead with this - this sounds too kindergarten level for me. ..

blueblood70

Reaction score
yes surprised I doubt he had many suiters..hes worth the min vet deal and im betting its under 2mil..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rush will have these OTA working with McCarthy and his staff to work on his game and of course pre-season. Not comparing but I will say Romo did not have a single pre season snap until 2006 and frankly I would not have bet on him leading up to that point given 3 years of nothing. I fully expect to see Dallas bring in another QB to compete and right now not betting against anyone.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not everybody loved him. Just the people who had never heard of him before his first preseason game.

I saw noodle-armed Rush play college ball for Central Michigan. Pray the Cowboys never need to depend on him.

The very fact that Garrett liked him made me suspicious.

Garrett had spaghetti for brains when it came to QB.

He had a conga line of busts for QBs.

Brandon Weeden lead the way. I remember how Jerrah saying he threw the prettiest pass he had ever seen.

Holy smokes.

Jerrah and Garrett..it was a long decade with those guys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and I don't think there hasn't been any starting QB that has been spared from injury or missing a game in the last 20 years of the NFL. (mahomes, brady,rodgers, brees, Wilson, wentz, etc)
with the way concussions, shoulder separations, broken fingers, sprained ankles/knees go about with QBs, we just cannot take Dak's durability for granted.

Hate to say it much less think it, but as incredibly durable as Dak has been during his early NFL career, it's only a matter of time before we will need to depend upon that backup QB to
sub and perform while Dak is out. The closet we've came for being concerned about Dak missing a game for 1st time in his career was this past year vs 2nd game Philly.
- and we could tell his shoulder was really hampering and limiting him despite his gutty toughness to try to play through the pain and discomfort.
Without a doubt there will come a time the backup will have to step in for Dak - your right that even as durable as Dak has been, no QB is immune from injury. The hope is that there won't be a long term injury.

With Rush it's hard to know what we have. My impression from preseason games is he makes quick reads and quick decisions, and his arm is accurate, but he also is limited athletically in that he is not a big, strong QB and his arm strength is limited. Regardless of how accurate my thoughts are, we simply can't know how Rush will respond until he is put in the situation. That's what's tough about not having an experienced veteran as a backup - there just isn't any actual game experience to judge from.

tm1119

Reaction score
Tenders aren’t guaranteed. This is just a matter of keeping a qb under contract and on the roster for the time being. Doesn’t mean anything.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Without a doubt there will come a time the backup will have to step in for Dak - your right that even as durable as Dak has been, no QB is immune from injury. The hope is that there won't be a long term injury.

With Rush it's hard to know what we have. My impression from preseason games is he makes quick reads and quick decisions, and his arm is accurate, but he also is limited athletically in that he is not a big, strong QB and his arm strength is limited. Regardless of how accurate my thoughts are, we simply can't know how Rush will respond until he is put in the situation. That's what's tough about not having an experienced veteran as a backup - there just isn't any actual game experience to judge from.

Here's a thought about those who advocate getting some vet backup QB. First they'll cost more than Rush, but beyond that those vet QB's are mostly one time starters that lost their jobs because of maybe throwing to many picks or not mobile at all or took to long to go through reads so getting sacked a lot or several other reasons. Now some like Foles who stepped in and did a really good job for the eagles then went to the jags and after getting injured early in the season did come back only to lose his job to a rookie 6th round draft pick.

The point I'm making is there is absolutely no guarantee that a vet QB is going to be any better than Rush and will cost more to boot.

kskboys

Reaction score
If by "improvement" for Rush you mean not playing himself off the team? Sure.

But he's gone from having an awesome preseason as a rookie to barely clinging to a roster spot. Being better than the abysmal Mike White who got progressively worse does not instill confidence. And "we don't know because he hasn't played" in reference to Rush doesn't either.

I'd gladly pay $1 or $2 million more for an established backup.
Since we're not a super bowl contending team at present, I don't care all that much about the backup QB. However, if McC builds the team as I'm hoping, the backup QB suddenly becomes essential. Rush has a really bad arm, but he knows what to do. Would he be enough for a game or two? IDK, I guess maybe he could throw a pile of short stuff.

Blake

Reaction score
Jerruh has a thing for gingers. He often thinks about them in the shower.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Since we're not a super bowl contending team at present, I don't care all that much about the backup QB. However, if McC builds the team as I'm hoping, the backup QB suddenly becomes essential. Rush has a really bad arm, but he knows what to do. Would he be enough for a game or two? IDK, I guess maybe he could throw a pile of short stuff.

i remember people saying the same exact thing about Drew Brees.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
They are about to pay Dak the big bucks...Rush's contract is cheap and he's familiar with the team already. If you want to upgrade backup QB with a proven vet, they won't be had for peanuts.

Just have to hope Dak continues to be durable like Aaron Rodgers was so it's not a problem

quickccc

Reaction score
The very fact that Garrett liked him made me suspicious.

Garrett had spaghetti for brains when it came to QB.

He had a conga line of busts for QBs.

Brandon Weeden lead the way. I remember how Jerrah saying he threw the prettiest pass he had ever seen.

Holy smokes.

Jerrah and Garrett..it was a long decade with those guys.

the Brad Johnson evaluation will always take the cake with me with Garrett.
Coaches are less a few matter yards away from Johnson and still see absolute noodle arm he was and just couldn't freakin' anymore.
Not even a mere 10 yard thrower. Beyond inexcusable.

kskboys

Reaction score
Coaches are less a few matter yards away from Johnson and still see absolute noodle arm he was and just couldn't freakin' anymore.
Yeah, before ol' Brad, I was of the opinion that we did not know more than they did. There was just no way the fans could know that Brad was done and the staff didn't. And we let loose a fine young backup in Matt Moore to keep Brad.

Kinda like the 09 draft made me realize we were outdrafting them.

shabazz

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish Dak would sit out w/he's hurt for Rush to take over. This way we can see the excuses the Dak haters have on Rush" performance. It WILL happen. Karma never misses a beat!

Impossible scenario. Dakota wont sit out until the Mammoth Contract is inked. He should have sat out the Eagles Division Title game when his shoulder was hanging on by a single tendon, but alas, there was a contract to be pursued.

That worked out well for the team

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
To me..

Garrett liked anybody who resembled himself..

under-appreciated and waiting to bloom given the opportunity under his coaching.

He was perfect as Jerrah's right hand. The both of them had similar goals.Jerrah wanted recognition for being the better half of Jerrah/Johnson..

and Garrett wanted recognition he was the under-appreciated QB of Aikman/Garrett back in their day. He wanted to be HC and in the end pass Aikman as the better football guy.

Jerrah thought Garrett would help him with his credibility as a GM and Garrett thought Jerrah would help him becoming successful like Jimster.

Never. turned out for either party. So it all dissolved.

conner01

Reaction score
I think you need anew adding machine and readd because wasn't Prescott, Cooper and Quinn are signed and the rookie allotment there won't be anything left of the available cap space.
None of them are signed
But Dak and coopers contracts will be fairly cheap first couple of years
The cap hit each year is determined by the structure
You can structure a contract to be high in early years then cheaper, or cheaper in early years then higher in the later years

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a thought about those who advocate getting some vet backup QB. First they'll cost more than Rush, but beyond that those vet QB's are mostly one time starters that lost their jobs because of maybe throwing to many picks or not mobile at all or took to long to go through reads so getting sacked a lot or several other reasons. Now some like Foles who stepped in and did a really good job for the eagles then went to the jags and after getting injured early in the season did come back only to lose his job to a rookie 6th round draft pick.

The point I'm making is there is absolutely no guarantee that a vet QB is going to be any better than Rush and will cost more to boot.
This is a good point. It's nice to find that Nick Foles or Jon Kitna type that historically have only been average as starters, but have had some success and have tools that can help a team win. But those guys aren't always available, and like you said, they require more money than a Cooper Rush type.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
None of them are signed
But Dak and coopers contracts will be fairly cheap first couple of years
The cap hit each year is determined by the structure
You can structure a contract to be high in early years then cheaper, or cheaper in early years then higher in the later years

I'm not sure where you've been but Prescott already rejected a contract that would pay him 34 mil a year. Maybe in your fantasy world players still do cheap early years but that went out several years ago when players caught on that when they had back loaded contracts they never saw the biggest parts of the contract. Now players want front loaded with guaranteed money to make sure they get all the money.

Please stop trying to be a GM.