Surprised by fan reactions (re: contracts)

khiladi

Reaction score
Yes, the salary cap is going to go up, as it does almost every year. What do you expect to change? Unless the new CBA addresses the issue more salary cap just means more money for the players at the top of the food chain.

What does Jerry's net worth have to do with anything? He can't spend a dime more than any other owner on player salaries.

Apples and oranges. There is no salary cap for coaches. Minimizing player contracts is about maximizing talent on the team, not money in Jerry's pocket. It costs Jerry just as much to build a bad team as it does a good one and he makes more money when the team wins.

What's comical is people excusing Zeke for "just doing business" while bashing Jerry for doing the same thing. Everyone involved benefits big-time from winning, especially winning deep into January, and the fact that most players would rather get all the contract they can than be satisfied with a mil or two less so the team can be better blows my mind.

Because the players are negotiating with that in mind. If they are worried about the salary cap, the owners can up it, because the NFL is making plenty of money. The Jones are hiding behind this nonsense ‘talent’ garbage.

Players are what their market value is worth.

Jerry’s Net worth has everything to do with it, because the league is making plenty of money, meaning they can’t hide behind the BS excuse that they are at a loss or their revenue is hurting and yada, yada, yada

Dre11

Reaction score
As you reminded me, the players are adults and thus responsible for their own actions despite being given bad advice from their agents. In our civilized society, we don't totally exonerate those accused of committing crimes when they use that excuse and we shouldn't except "bad advise" be the scapegoat for these athletes either.

You're right, but it still doesn't change how these guys get bad advise from folks who are supposed to be professionals. No different than if you had an accountant and he gives you advise, more than likely you're going to take his word because it's his profession.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Then play out your contract and ask for more money. It's that simple.

You mean like Jaylon Smith? Dallas had no problem giving him a new deal after three seasons, one of which he missed entirely.

I'm not crazy about giving big contracts to RBs but anyone with half a clue should be able to see why Zeke thinks he's underpaid, given his production and a $3 million salary this season.

The "play out your contract" stuff is trite.

Dre11

Reaction score
Because the players are negotiating with that in mind. If they are worried about the salary cap, up it, because the NFL is making plenty of money.

The Jones are hiding behind this nonsense ‘talent’ garbage. Players are what their market value is worth.

This is stupid, that is usually done at the collective bargaining table. But the players let that happen to get something else. So it's on the players and their union.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're right, but it still doesn't change how these guys get bad advise from folks who are supposed to be professionals. No different than if you had an accountant and he gives you advise, more than likely you're going to take his word because it's his profession.
Not true, I actually do have an accountant and have strayed from her advice on a few occasions to my benefit I might add.

Dre11

Reaction score
You mean like Jaylon Smith? Dallas had no problem giving him a new deal after three seasons, one of which he missed entirely.

I'm not crazy about giving big contracts to RBs but anyone with half a clue should be able to see why Zeke thinks he's underpaid, given his production and a $3 million salary this season.

The "play out your contract" stuff is trite.
They didn't mind doing it for Jaylon because he didn't try to break the bank, he doesn't get into trouble, and he's here with his teammates. Otherwise I bet they make him wait.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Contract average being the better way to compare salaries is only your opinion and it's extremely arrogant of you to say my way of comparing salaries doesn't matter. I am taking into account how much time in the league each player has. The league obviously feels it's relevant or there wouldn't be a rookie pay scale. You, on the other hand, have chosen to pretend all salaries are based on the same rules when they are not. How convenient for you. Rookie contracts and non-rookie contracts are apples and oranges and should not be compared to each other. By design, rookie contracts are limited. For that reason, it is unfair to compare Zeke's rookie contract to Gurley or Bell's on there average. Playing fair is obviously not of interest to you.

The RBs in the example below are both on their rookie contracts and both were drafted in 2016.

Which player is getting paid more?

Example RB John Doe
  • Signing Bonus: 16M
  • 2016 base salary: 4M
  • 2017 base salary: 4M
  • 2018 base salary: 6M
  • 2019 base salary: 2M

Example RB Joe Smith
  • 2018 base salary: 4M
  • 2019 base salary: 4M

Dre11

Reaction score
Not true, I actually do have an accountant and have strayed from her advice on a few occasions to my benefit I might add.

And she's still your accountant? Is that smart?...lol

khiladi

Reaction score
This is stupid, that is usually done at the collective bargaining table. But the players let that happen to get something else. So it's on the players and their union.

Too bad, because the contracts Dallas is trying to give these players is in light of the old terms. Your basically saying the players shouldn’t consider the new terms that will impact their long-term contracts..

Dak already said this idea that players can’t get there’s is absurd, considering how much the revenue is going up, particularly because of gambling.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The RBs in the example below are both on their rookie contracts and both were drafted in 2016.

Which player is getting paid more?

Example RB John Doe
  • 2018 base salary: 6M
  • 2019 base salary: 2M

Example RB Joe Smith
  • 2018 base salary: 4M
  • 2019 base salary: 4M
push

Dre11

Reaction score
Too bad, because the contracts Dallas is trying to give these players is in light of the old terms. Your basically saying the players shouldn’t consider the new terms that will impact their long-term contracts..

Dak already said this idea that players can’t get there’s is absurd, considering how much the revenue is going up, particularly because of gambling.

It's what the players bargained. The dictate the amount...lol
You should teach yourself , before speaking on thongs you have no idea what you're talking about...lol

Salary Cap
For those who don’t know, the salary cap, simply put, is the amount of money that teams are allowed to spend on players’ salaries. The reason for this is simple: each team has the exact same amount of money to spend, so every team is on a level playing field in free agency.

For contrast, baseball has no salary cap. Teams like the Yankees can spend all they want on players’ salaries while teams like the Reds, who operate in a small market, must be more judicious with their money.

The exact salary cap is dictated by the Players Association in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Under the current CBA, all sources of revenue, including television contracts, merchandise sales and ticket sales, are added up and divided among all 32 teams.

When the salary cap was first introduced in 1994, the cap was set to $34 million. The salary cap for the current NFL season is $177.2 million.

Dre11

Reaction score

Also gambling has nothing to do with the salary cap and how much a team an spend unless bargained by the players union.... lol

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Dlaw mentioned the surgery...lol the only time it was brought up during was when the media brought it up.

Shhhhhh. You're harming your reputation (what reputation? lol). Here is an excerpt from the story WITH a quote.

Lawrence’s pending shoulder surgery is a catalyst to get a deal done, and Jones is keenly aware, sending a message through the media.

“We’re all aware, as it turns out, this is a contract to play football and the first year is a big one,” Jones said. “At the kinds of dollars we’re talking about, it’s just a given that you’d get the full year at top, physical condition, that’s what you’re getting. If you don’t get that it depreciates what you’re doing. It works both ways.” – Star Telegram

That’s a direct response to Lawrence and his agent using surgery as negotiating leverage.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...-negotiations-franchise-tag-shoulder-surgery/

Tell me again how it didn't matter during negotiations. Just stop.

jnday

Reaction score
I can't stay quiet on this thread any longer. I had to call out this post and others like it.
This is simply not correct. If we lost because of one player, *** does that say about the team? Hey are you Zeke's agent??????????

Also what does it say about our coach? Oh......wait.......
It says that this team’s offense is built around Zeke and the running game.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He did get less...lol

Lawrence's desired $22.5 million-per-year deal would be equal to the deal Rams DT Aaron Donald signed recently, and would see him earn $1 million fewer than Bears star defender Khalil Mack.

Lawrence hadn't done anything close to what those 2 have done so no one on earth thought he was actually serious about equaling either of their deals given his career to this point. You do know how negotiations work, right? Where you ask high and accept a reasonable lower amount? Is that what happened compared to those other 2 deals or no?

khiladi

Reaction score
It's what the players bargained. The dictate the amount...lol
You should teach yourself , before speaking on thongs you have no idea what you're talking about...lol

Salary Cap
For those who don’t know, the salary cap, simply put, is the amount of money that teams are allowed to spend on players’ salaries. The reason for this is simple: each team has the exact same amount of money to spend, so every team is on a level playing field in free agency.

For contrast, baseball has no salary cap. Teams like the Yankees can spend all they want on players’ salaries while teams like the Reds, who operate in a small market, must be more judicious with their money.

The exact salary cap is dictated by the Players Association in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Under the current CBA, all sources of revenue, including television contracts, merchandise sales and ticket sales, are added up and divided among all 32 teams.

When the salary cap was first introduced in 1994, the cap was set to $34 million. The salary cap for the current NFL season is $177.2 million.

And that salary cap is going to change homie during the new contracts all three of these guys are going to receive... These guys are asking for money that pays them according to market value, meaning according to the salary cap every team is going to work with, which would go up with the new revenue..

I know it’s hard..

aikemirv

Reaction score
Lawrence hadn't done anything close to what those 2 have done so no one on earth thought he was actually serious about equaling either of their deals given his career to this point. You do know how negotiations work, right? Where you ask high and accept a reasonable lower amount? Is that what happened compared to those other 2 deals or no?
Marcus ROCK - ROCKy Arceneaux - hmmmmmmm:laugh:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because the players are negotiating with that in mind. If they are worried about the salary cap, the owners can up it, because the NFL is making plenty of money. The Jones are hiding behind this nonsense ‘talent’ garbage.

Players are what their market value is worth.

Jerry’s Net worth has everything to do with it, because the league is making plenty of money, meaning they can’t hide behind the BS excuse that they are at a loss or their revenue is hurting and yada, yada, yada

You can't just up the cap though. That has to be done through negotiation, via the CBA. I mean, yeah, if you can get the CBA passed very quickly and all parties agree to changing it, then yes but that never happens.