Switch to 3-4 just for Parsons

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
we need our vince wilfolk to do that.
i like what quinn is doing.
it seems to work.
i'd still like a vince wilfolk type tho.
or even another jethro pugh.
I’ve been wanting that for 56 seasons

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why they can move him all around and in the current defense.
The Cowboys use a hybrid 3-4 now. Parsons stands up when the Cowboys rush him off the edge. That's why you see Carlos Watkins, Osa Odighizuwa, and Chauncey Golston lining up both inside and outside. The goal is to move Parsons around and make offenses account for him every single snap.
Parsons as a full-time edge rusher will wear him down. He is a playmaker at LB too...a sack isn't the only way to make a big play. If you thought last night was great, he actually played most of the game at LB. He is too good all-around. Making him rush the passer every snap would be a waste of his overall ability. He is still a big threat to get sacks in his current hybrid role while also being a force as a LB too

I like how he's being used now. Very difficult for the offense to plan around him because they never know where he's going to line up.

Good post(s).

The problem with Parsons as a full time pass rusher is the loss of Parsons at LB.
- They missed him at LB in the Raiders game.
- His nickname could be The Eraser because he erases mistakes by other defenders.

In theory pass rusher is a more important position than off-ball LB; however, Parsons is not an ordinary LB.

Having Parsons all over the field is a huge asset. Offenses can't scheme around him which they would if he played DE full time.

Many years the Cowboys defenses struggled with outside runs or passes in the flat.
- Parsons often shuts those down.
- Same with QB roll outs. He often shuts those down.
- He does it both from the frontside and the backside.
- i.e. Regardless of whether the QB rolls to his side or the opposite side.

Parsons is also terrific in man coverage, especially against RBs.

He is terrific in run defense. He just a has an innate 'feel' for getting to the ball carrier.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post(s).

The problem with Parsons as a full time pass rusher is the loss of Parsons at LB.
- They missed him at LB in the Raiders game.
- His nickname could be The Eraser because he erases mistakes by other defenders.

In theory pass rusher is a more important position than off-ball LB; however, Parsons is not an ordinary LB.

Having Parsons all over the field is a huge asset. Offenses can't scheme around him which they would if he played DE full time.

Many years the Cowboys defenses struggled with outside runs or passes in the flat.
- Parsons often shuts those down.
- Same with QB roll outs. He often shuts those down.
- He does it both from the frontside and the backside.
- i.e. Regardless of whether the QB rolls to his side or the opposite side.

Parsons is also terrific in man coverage, especially against RBs.

He is terrific in run defense. He just a has an innate 'feel' for getting to the ball carrier.

Exactly.

If he wasn't such a disruptive force at LB I would be in the "Let's keep him at DE" camp.

But the fact is... His is.

And I don't think you can look at his usage from a "Well this isn't done in the NFL" point of view.

He's a unique player that can/should be used in unique ways and labeling him as just a DE short-changes what he can do to help this defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have poundered that about a month ago....but we don't have the personnel to run a 3-4....Osa can play DE on a 3-4. Lawrence maybe able to do, but a bit undersized. Can gallimore play the other DE? or NT? can hill play NT along with Watkins. and we don't have enough LBs to pull of a 3-4....losing Cox hurt a lot more than we think....and plus he is losing on learning.

but for now, Parsons is the wild card. Quinn has his Chess Queen (no pun intended) and he can move him around and create havoc. we can run a 4-3, with a 3-4 front look, shift a lot and pressure the OL...getting gregory and lawrence back is going to really elevate this front 7 and open up Quinn's hand
Can't play Nickel from a 3-4...

Zman5

Reaction score
Can't play Nickel from a 3-4...

Technically you can't play Nickel from 4-3 either. It would either have to be 4-2-5 or 3-3-5. I've seen NE play 2-4-5 at times also.

visionary

Reaction score
I really like Parsons. I'd like to draft another one next year to replace LVE.

Imagine the chaos and destruction two of them would cause.

Gregory is pretty close
Wait till we have the full DL and Parsons with both rushing

Reactions: BAT

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I disagree with moving Parsons of changing scheme. How he’s being used currently—being moved around, blitzing from the middle and edge, and being used as a DE—is exactly the right way to use him. Switching to 34 and locking him at OLB is not the best use of him or his talents.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure. If this was 1995. The idea that we have to be all 3-4 or all 4-3 is very old school. Even teams that run base 3-4 normally go to a 4- front when in nickel, which is the majority of the plays.
With our hybrid scheme Parsons, Tank, Gregory, Osa, Gallimore, Hill are chess pieces that Quinn can move around and keep the offense guessing. So much better than just lining up in a traditional 3-4.
People that want to run a 3-4 don't understand what they're talking about.

The Cowboys played Nickel, Big Nickel or Dime in the Saints game and for the majority of snaps this season.

None of those alignments are compatible with the 3-4.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
People that want to run a 3-4 don't understand what they're talking about.

The Cowboys played Nickel, Big Nickel or Dime in the Saints game and for the majority of snaps this season.

None of those alignments are compatible with the 3-4.
People also don't realize the 3-4 defense is used more to defend against the run, it's not this magical formation that allows for a better pass rush.

btcutter

Reaction score
Why they can move him all around and in the current defense.

Yes. Make other D have to figure out what MP will be and what he will do.

People underestimate his value and ability to drop and cover the deep middle in cover 2. We have never had LB that can do what Urlacher did for Chicago. Now we have that plus he can pass rush as well.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Not sure what formation suits Parsons the best but whatever it is, Dallas should run it. If there is a player that doesn't fit with Parsons . . . he should probably go away. If Dallas needs a guy to help Parsons, they should get him.