Switzer interview - staff wanted him to be a RB

jrumann59

Reaction score
Floaty levels of college homerism.

I think the coaches didn’t like his risk taking out there on punts.

Those guys aren’t high on boom or bust type players.
Austin is boom or bust, either he catches it and tkes a pass to the house or he gets tackled by the 5'9" nickel back that ways 175 pounds. and as returner he can't hold on to a ball either.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
At this stage the little hope I had in this organization starting to evaporate.
If that is really their vision how to utilize players good luck seeing this team going anywhere.
They wasted so many talented players' career over the years and they will keep doing so.
The fans would have a better plan than these clowns.

sideon

Reaction score
As soon as the trade was completed I became more concerned over what we have rather than what we gave up. We may have made a mistake in how we handled Switzer and his role but Ward is the cow in the barn now. I'm looking forward to how much milk we can get rather than crying over what was presumably spilled.
Jihad Ward is the definition of a JAG.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Interview sounds about right. Tavon is a downgrade as a PR'er due to his muffing/fumbling issue. In addition, Tavon has only one season where he posted better avg per return than Switzer did his rookie year. I'm not hyped about this pickup b/c of this staff, either...they just gonna dust off those sorry arse Dunbar plays.

Jihad Ward is a 5Tech, just like TyCraw, Irving n Datone. He's not better than any of these guys...let alone true DTs like Maliek Collins or Brian Price. So where is he going to play? What's the plan for another 5Tech to fit n this 4-3 scheme? Rod had to put TyCraw at RE, Irving at 3Tech an Jones at 1Tech last season...now where Jihad gonna play where he can be effective.

KDM256

Reaction score
Never did liked nor understood the Ryan Switzer pick in 2017. Its not like Dallas didn't have Beasley coming off his best year 2016 to justify this pick.

Didn't understand why we needed another slot guy whose similar to what we currently have on the roster. I wanted to double dip at DE in the 4th last year and was hoping like hell Carl Lawson would be our 4th round pick (Not a fan of the Taco pick at the time) but Dallas went offense instead of adding to our first 3 defensive picks in this draft.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
We barely even used Dunbar when we had him. The coaches would talk him up all off season then when it came down to it they never really could figure out how to get him on the field in a productive manner.
the coaches in Dallas lack the creativity and gumption to use a guy like Switzer (or Dez or Beasley) in ways that better take advantage of what they CAN do well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sounds like a disgruntled player who didn’t see himself leaving...
LOL thats my thoughts..i wish the kid luck but he cant blame the coaches for not using him correctly..eventually he may have or will become a player in the legue but those who blame the coaches by what HE'S saying what happened is rhetoric, speculation goes both ways..BTW even if that were true that friggin turn QBs into Wrs , RB into WR,s DT into Offesive linement , LBs into Fbs etc etc etc all the time in the league.. so what if they wanted to trya nd utilize him as a scat back some until he got more snaps at WR..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was wanting Switzer to learn how to field punts instead of watching them hit the ground while we lose 10-15 yards in field position. If he can’t learn the art of the fair catch, his NFL career will be very short. Jon Gruden will have zero patience for a guy who too often lets punts hit the ground.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
EVERYTHING on this team always boils down to coaching.
An inate inability to create mismatches and use players to their strength.
Switzer will be a very good slot guy. He wasnt guven a chance because, you got it, despite waxing lyrical all off season about utilising him and Beasley at the same time the coaching staff just has no idea how to do it. Pathetic. Its utterly pathetic

Rayman70

Reaction score
First, Moving Switzer to RB... like a scat back,would have been dumb.He's built like a true slot receiver,period. That's where he should be..lots of 2 yard outs,3 yard slants, and bubble screens. HOWEVER, HE has rare speed for a slot guy. That's why he was good on special teams. IMO...we did him wrong. I have to agree with the kid this one time. Raiders will properly use him. Tavon at RB...its a risk because he is only 178. One hit,and he's done for the year. Like Tavon a bunch,but can he be durable and be used properly? Maybe the star on his helmet will wake him up a bit.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm not precluding the possibility that he could develop into more than just a dude. That happens all the time in this league. All I'm saying is that, based off of his performance in the league so far, he was a WR4 with return ability and whose offensive utility was somewhat limited by his stature and speed. Being just a dude in the NFL isn't something I personally look down on. But you can't look at his contribution last year and think the guy was already special. He showed a bit on STs, but on offense, he caught 6 balls. You really think 'just a dude' is a knock on that production?

I definitely wouldn't say he's special based off last year, but I have no idea what to think of anyone on offense last year, much less Switzer.

Cmac

Reaction score
.....if Switzer was to be a RB......that's unequivocally ridiculous. Same with Austin. Gonna be lots of laughs for opponents this year.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I was wanting Switzer to learn how to field punts instead of watching them hit the ground while we lose 10-15 yards in field position. If he can’t learn the art of the fair catch, his NFL career will be very short. Jon Gruden will have zero patience for a guy who too often lets punts hit the ground.
But yet he was top 10 in both punt and kickoff return all year

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But yet he was top 10 in both punt and kickoff return all year
And top 3 in field position yards surrendered by letting punts hit the ground that he should have fielded. Switzer had some decent returns but his plus yardage was offset by his field position yards given up, IMO. Needs to learn how to fair catch.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
So, Fans get mad at the FO for not making trades,, then the FO makes a trade and the fans get mad at them for Giving up on what is sure to be an all pro?? Sounds about right for these fans. So we have an abundance of WR after FA and the draft. We have the opportunity to flip a WR with a redundant skill set for a position of need and we shouldn't do that.. why??

I liked the kid. I would have tried to keep him and ship Beas out. But someone had to go, maybe another will go before it is all said and done as well. Might as well get something for them. Good luck to the kid. I hope he has a great career and I hope the guy we go has a great career.