News: T.J. Watt Vs. Taco Charlton: McCarthy Weighs in On Cowboys Philosophy

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
T.J. Watt Vs. Taco Charlton: McCarthy Weighs in On Cowboys Philosophy

taco-tj.jpg

T.J. Watt Vs. Taco Charlton in the 2017 NFL Draft Remains A Sore Issue For Dallas Cowboys Fans; New Coach Mike McCarthy Weighs in On A New Philosophy

The Dallas Cowboys entered the 2017 NFL Draft with a well-considered top-of-the-draft plan. They then executed that plan. Three years later, maybe it's not really the fault of defensive end Taco Charlton that he didn't live up to first-round billing.

Read Full Story

bewp7

Reaction score
barf i hate how much of a voice marinelli had in the draft and roster decisions...really gross reading about how he and others were more focused on fit than production and on field talent (not just measurables!)

it’s all empty talk right now that mean not a thing but i like what mccarthy says about just drafting the best football players and let the coaches worry about the system and how they fit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
barf i hate how much of a voice marinelli had in the draft and roster decisions...really gross reading about how he and others were more focused on fit than production and on field talent (not just measurables!)

it’s all empty talk right now that mean not a thing but i like what mccarthy says about just drafting the best football players and let the coaches worry about the system and how they fit.

Amazing how that fossil walked out of here and right into taking someone else's job in Las Vegas.

Adreme

Reaction score
I mean yes hindsight is 20/20 and I am sure every team could look back and wish they had drafted a different player at one point with multiple of their picks in multiple drafts, but at the end of the day you make a pick and hope its right.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't think it's that he had all that much sway. I think that's a lot of talk. The truth is, as I recall, the team wanted to address edge rusher in the first round. The fact that they passed on Watt, which was a no brainer, is really an illustration of this. I mean, I remember that draft, there were people on this board who you could hear throwing TVs through windows thru chat. The team decided, before the draft even started that they were going to take a edge rush DE and on their board, Taco was the last one left. So if the team tells you that we are going DE and the coaching staff says, well, Taco is a DE, Watt is a LB, then isn't that really on the HC and FO? I mean, Marinelli wasn't wrong, I thought he was more LB as well. I still would have taken him and for the record, one of those TVs you could hear going boom over the internet was mine, but technically, he was telling the truth.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
T.J. Watt Vs. Taco Charlton: McCarthy Weighs in On Cowboys Philosophy

taco-tj.jpg

T.J. Watt Vs. Taco Charlton in the 2017 NFL Draft Remains A Sore Issue For Dallas Cowboys Fans; New Coach Mike McCarthy Weighs in On A New Philosophy

The Dallas Cowboys entered the 2017 NFL Draft with a well-considered top-of-the-draft plan. They then executed that plan. Three years later, maybe it's not really the fault of defensive end Taco Charlton that he didn't live up to first-round billing.

Read Full Story
Nice read! :D

johneric8

Reaction score
Look, we basically had a coach in Garrett whom used his amazing manipulation skills to convince Jerry that he was the smartest guy in the room and that he had a fool proof plan on how to dominate teams like they did in the 90's, but the problem with that plan is that it can't work in this day in age with how the salary cap is setup.

If you want to have a winning program now it's all about cutting you loses with guys and bringing in new hungry players like Billichick does. You can't draft a guy that fits a scheme that may or may not be good enough to survive in this league. Another huge knock on Garrett was that he was stubborn and was given too much rope which inevitably hung him. It's hard to argue with a coach like Big Mike that says we're going to be adaptable! This is a far cry from the total lack of flexibility that Garrett shackled this franchise with.

Gaede

Reaction score
Rod the scourge

This is all the stuff I want to hear, but I'll wait until draft day to see what they actually do. Corporate people have a way of seeing mistakes clearly in retrospect and then talking themselves right back into the mistake they made the first time.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
There's going to be guys who were a draft bust for their first team, only to play better for the 2nd team being they matured.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

@ABQCOWBOY , do you hear these comments up above? ^^^^

I told you Marinelli had a big influence in the Cowboys draft room.