News: T.J. Watt Vs. Taco Charlton: McCarthy Weighs in On Cowboys Philosophy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't it time to let go of this? We know it turned out to be a mistake - it was a bad move by the team. Is there really anything else to say?

No.

There's no 'requirement' or time limit for having to cover your ears to a monumental mistake.

See, this is what some fans try to do. Whenever Taco was drafted over Watt, the line was "you can't judge this now, you have to give it 3 years!"

And now that the verdict is in, the line is "spilt milk", and "let it go", because some fans are uncomfortable or incapable of talking about both the good and the bad that this team does. Anyone that applies to? That's your issue. Run and hide from the truth if you need to and pretend that all is well.

While your 2017 1st rounder is long gone with nothing to show for it, and TJ Watt continues to be among the league's beast pass rusher and DPOY candidates. Pretend it didn't happen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.

There's no 'requirement' or time limit for having to cover your ears to a monumental mistake.

See, this is what some fans try to do. Whenever Taco was drafted over Watt, the line was "you can't judge this now, you have to give it 3 years!"

And now that the verdict is in, the line is "spilt milk", and "let it go", because some fans are uncomfortable or incapable of talking about both the good and the bad that this team does. Anyone that applies to? That's your issue. Run and hide from the truth if you need to and pretend that all is well.

While your 2017 1st rounder is long gone with nothing to show for it, and TJ Watt continues to be among the league's beast pass rusher and DPOY candidates. Pretend it didn't happen.
I didn't say the mistake disappears over time - it worked out poorly for Dallas, and that will always be the case. I 'm just saying that this is not a current issue and that repeating the same thing over and over and over from now to the end of time is pointless. It doesn't provide new information or change anything, and nobody disputes that Taco was a failure in Dallas, and that Watt is doing well in Pittsburgh. Ultimately, calling it a mistake 1,00 times doesn't make it any more of a mistake than saying it 500 times.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't say the mistake disappears over time - it worked out poorly for Dallas, and that will always be the case. I 'm just saying that this is not a current issue and that repeating the same thing over and over and over from now to the end of time is pointless. It doesn't provide new information or change anything, and nobody disputes that Taco was a failure in Dallas, and that Watt is doing well in Pittsburgh. Ultimately, calling it a mistake 1,00 times doesn't make it any more of a mistake than saying it 500 times.

Clearly, admitting the obvious upsets you. You're making that abundantly clear, and proving my point for me.

When the Cowboys are scrambling to fill their RDE position with nothing to show for their 2017 1st round pick, it absolutely IS "a current issue". Once again in your zeal to hide from past mistakes, you tell yourself anything to soothe the pain.

And as long as Watt is tearing up the league, it will continue to be a "current issue". The people who can't deal with that fact are the ones that have the issues.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly, admitting the obvious upsets you. You're making that abundantly clear, and proving my point for me.

When the Cowboys are scrambling to fill their RDE position with nothing to show for their 2017 1st round pick, it absolutely IS "a current issue". Once again in your zeal to hide from past mistakes, you tell yourself anything to soothe the pain.

And as long as Watt is tearing up the league, it will continue to be a "current issue". The people who can't deal with that fact are the ones that have the issues.
That was a nonsensical first sentence in an effort to make this about some silly emotion while avoiding talking about this rationally. Repeating the obvious is also nonsensical. It wouldn't make sense to say the ocean contains water over and over again either. What would be the point?

And no, Watt vs Taco is not a current issue. What we do about DE as things sit today is. The current issue is how we deal with the current situation, and saying a thousand times that we would have been better off drafting Watt doesn't somehow change that. The current issue is how to move forward, not what we can't change from the past.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was a nonsensical first sentence in an effort to make this about some silly emotion while avoiding talking about this rationally.

It's completely accurate. In case you haven't noticed, we are once again arguing about the exact same thing we always argue about. In case you are still unaware, this is what happens. Something critical is said of the Cowboys, you rush to defend or minimize it, and we then proceed to argue about it.

Repeating the obvious is also nonsensical. It wouldn't make sense to say the ocean contains water over and over again either. What would be the point?

If yiu can't deal with that "obvious", the issue is clearly yours, as isn't the answer - don't. Run away and hide while the adults have adult conversations.

And no, Watt vs Taco is not a current issue.

Bull****. Lie to yourself, not anybody else. Clearly you have to.

What we do about DE as things sit today is. The current issue is how we deal with the current situation, and saying a thousand times that we would have been better off drafting Watt doesn't somehow change that. The current issue is how to move forward, not what we can't change from the past.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

And those who cannot bear to deal with their past mistakes and failures never learn from them.

With every post, you confirm that you're someone that's not capable of facing the Cowboys mistakes.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's completely accurate. In case you haven't noticed, we are once again arguing about the exact same thing we always argue about. In case you are still unaware, this is what happens. Something critical is said of the Cowboys, you rush to defend or minimize it, and we then proceed to argue about it.

If yiu can't deal with that "obvious", the issue is clearly yours, as isn't the answer - don't. Run away and hide while the adults have adult conversations.

Bull****. Lie to yourself, not anybody else. Clearly you have to.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

And those who cannot bear to deal with their past mistakes and failures never learn from them.

With every post, you confirm that you're someone that's not capable of facing the Cowboys mistakes.
This is more nonsense. I have said repeatedly the Cowboys made a mistake, and you are suggesting that somehow means I'm defending the Cowboys. That doesn't make one iota of sense.

All I'm saying is that saying the obvious over and over and over again makes no sense. It is what it is, and saying it a 1,000 times rather than 500 times doesn't make it anything different than it is.

It's laughable that you somehow feel that saying the same thing over and over and over again amounts to an adult conversation. An "adult" recognizes a past mistake and moves forward by dealing with the situation as it exists in the present. And adult understands he can't change the past.

Every team has draft regrets. Taking Taco over Watt is bigger than many, but there also are many bigger than that as well. So what does a team (or fan) accomplish by saying over and over and over again that it turned out to be a mistake? Absolutely nothing. All any team can do is deal with what happens as things are today. THAT's what adults do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is more nonsense. I have said repeatedly the Cowboys made a mistake, and you are suggesting that somehow means I'm defending the Cowboys. That doesn't make one iota of sense.

Your eyes twisting yourself up like a contortionist trying to downplay it. Crystal clear to everyone other than you. And the latest is that despite the glaring hole at defensive end, you vainly try and fail in suggesting that it's not a "current issue". Once again you show yourself to be exactly the fan I describe, incapable of discussing mistakes.

All I'm saying is that saying the obvious over and over and over again makes no sense. It is what it is, and saying it a 1,000 times rather than 500 times doesn't make it anything different than it is.

If yiu can't bear it - and clearly you can't - the solution for you is simple. Stay out of threads that discuss uncomfortable truths. But don't try to preach to anyone else what they should or shouldn't discuss.

It's laughable that you somehow feel that saying the same thing over and over and over again amounts to an adult conversation. An "adult" recognizes a past mistake and moves forward by dealing with the situation as it exists in the present. And adult understands he can't change the past.

And "an adult" can talk about mistakes, like an adult, we have this thing called accountability. The children have to make excuses and downplay and divert.

Every team has draft regrets.

More attempted excuses. Plain as day.

Taking Taco over Watt is bigger than many, but there also are many bigger than that as well. So what does a team (or fan) accomplish by saying over and over and over again that it turned out to be a mistake? Absolutely nothing. All any team can do is deal with what happens as things are today. THAT's what adults do.

Again, if you can't handle talking about it, there's the door. Take your fragile sensibilities and excuses with you when you leave.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't it time to let go of this? We know it turned out to be a mistake - it was a bad move by the team. Is there really anything else to say?
It's been 22 years since the Randy Moss "mistake" and I still hear about that almost every day. Greg Ellis. Good Lord.

That's just what fans do. Mo Claiborne is another frequently mentioned.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been 22 years since the Randy Moss "mistake" and I still hear about that almost every day. Greg Ellis. Good Lord.

That's just what fans do. Mo Claiborne is another frequently mentioned.
You hear about us drafting Randy Moss over Greg Ellis almost every day? Damn! lol That's like my wife never letting go of the time in 1989 when I drank too much and flirted with a waitress.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You hear about us drafting Randy Moss over Greg Ellis almost every day? Damn! lol That's like my wife never letting go of the time in 1989 when I drank too much and flirted with a waitress.

"How could you?!?!?!"
:angry: