News: T.J. Watt Vs. Taco Charlton: McCarthy Weighs in On Cowboys Philosophy

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/t.j.-watt?id=2558064

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/randy-gregory?id=2552446

Watt was actually 17 pounds heavier than RG entering the draft. Their combine numbers are almost the same.

Am I not speaking English here? The book on Watt was that he could not explode out of the three point stance from the DE position. He could not bend the corner from the down position. He could not set the edge from the three point stance. The Book on Gregory is that he was just the opposite with the pass rush. He could do that and he excelled at it. This is not about who weighed what. This is about who was suited to play DE in a 43 and who was suited to be a LB. Again, has nothing at all to do with the weight of each player. Doesn't matter that Watt was 254 and Gregory was 235.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Am I not speaking English here? The book on Watt was that he could not explode out of the three point stance from the DE position. He could not bend the corner from the down position. He could not set the edge from the three point stance. The Book on Gregory is that he was just the opposite with the pass rush. He could do that and he excelled at it. This is not about who weighed what. This is about who was suited to play DE in a 43 and who was suited to be a LB. Again, has nothing at all to do with the weight of each player. Doesn't matter that Watt was 254 and Gregory was 235.

Whatever, dude. Human beings are capable of learning new things, especially pro athletes. With enough practice I'd bet Watt would do well at it because he is a baller.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Whatever, dude. Human beings are capable of learning new things, especially pro athletes. With enough practice I'd bet Watt would do well at it because he is a baller.

Some can, some can't. You do fully understand that I was not in favor of Taco right? You do fully understand that I am on record as saying he would be great in a 43, just not as impactful right? TJ Watt is not a DE but if you want to bring him in and try and make him one, fine. I would just draft him, put him at LB and let him do his thing. That's just me.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not for nothing, but there were alot of questions about Watt in the draft. Him and Charlton were tiered about the same. Watt just went on to become productive and Charlton busted.

Everyone will say otherwise, but most Cowboys fans didnt want Watt

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not for nothing, but there were alot of questions about Watt in the draft. Him and Charlton were tiered about the same. Watt just went on to become productive and Charlton busted.

Completely untrue. Zero basis in fact, with no support for this claim. This is complete fabrication.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score

I can't speak for everyone, just myself. I did want Watt.

The only other times I can remember feeling flabbergasted on draft day were when we passed on Moss and when we passed on Steven Jackson.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Completely untrue. Zero basis in fact, with no support for this claim. This is complete fabrication.
Maybe you liked him, but there was a very large segment of the fanbase that didnt want Watt based on the fact that he was injury and also the belief he was projected as a stand up rusher and not a DE.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe you liked him, but there was a very large segment of the fanbase that didnt want Watt based on the fact that he was injury and also the belief he was projected as a stand up rusher and not a DE.

No, there wasn't. There may have been some, but they constituted the minority, not the majority. The "very large segment" were those of us who got this one completely right.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to allow for revisionist history on things now.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, there wasn't. There may have been some, but they constituted the minority, not the majority. The "very large segment" were those of us who got this one completely right.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to allow for revisionist history on things now.
We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I did, real bad. I just never thought he'd be there for us.

Prime21

Reaction score
I wanted Watt and he was clearly the better player.

Marinelli has said, paraphrasing, "You want both speed and size, but if you can only get one you pick speed". For him to pick Charlton over Watt is insane. All the talk about speed and get off and he takes an average athlete over an exceptional one for 20 lbs of size. Plus Watt had more production than Taco. Inexcusable.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
I mean yes hindsight is 20/20 and I am sure every team could look back and wish they had drafted a different player at one point with multiple of their picks in multiple drafts, but at the end of the day you make a pick and hope its right.

yeah hindsight is 20/20 but many had FORESIGHT in saying go Watt over Charlton. except the people who mattered.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah hindsight is 20/20 but many had FORESIGHT in saying go Watt over Charlton. except the people who mattered.

Many fans don't like it and can't accept it when the Cowboys are wrong.

And this blunder will go down as being one of the worst in franchise history.

Adreme

Reaction score

If we lined up all the picks people said should be made and matched them against the results, I can almost promise there will be a LOT more wrong then right.

I remember the Cowboys got SLAMMED a few years back for drafting Fredrick. People saying they picked him about 20-30 picks too high. Sometimes when you take risks it pays off, and sometimes when you take them it does not.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Watt is a DEFENSIVE football player!!! He has attitude, ability, and a desire to be great! Taco had non of that, especially attitude and desire to be great. You need a new GM if he thought Taco would be a better professional football player than TJ Watt!!

I'm merely pointing out that a lot of draft experts had Charlton rated higher or around the same spot. That doesn't mean that GMs did, but I don't think that we can say they didn't.

Just because we feel a certain way about it doesn't mean those evaluating talent saw it the same way.