T.O. on NFL Total Access

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I hate TO, but he sure as hell didn't look "Lame" in the superbowl.

He even let us all know about it.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Indeed. Terrell Owens has no bargaining power in this scenario. He's asking for a raise despite him getting an average of $7 million per year. He probably got a hefty signing bonus as well. Now, he's asking the Eagles to pay him more money.

He's bound by a hefty contract as it is. The Eagles won't make his hit worse. He's what... 32? He's going to be retiring in a few years and the Eagles won't be too happy about eating what's left of his signing bonus when he does.

The bottom line is that Owens' holdout is bogus. He's doing it to attract attention to himself because of McNabb's performance in the Super Bowl. Not to mention that McNabb is going to be in a contract dispute over the next year or so assuming he's still on his original contract. Terrell Owens wants to chew up so much money so the Eagles can't resign him.

I bet Owens will be a cap casualty in 2007.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Where do you come up with this stuff?

T.O. is holding out in a vengeful attempt to keep McNabb from being re-signed?
Are you serious?

You kill me.

This is a simple case of, "I'm a veteran and don't want/need to attend training camp. I'll hold out as long as possible but rejoin the team when the season starts. Best case scenario- I get more money, too. Worst case scenario- I don't have to attend TC. It's a win/win situation."

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

Are you serious?

You kill me.

This is a simple case of, "I'm a veteran and don't want/need to attend training camp. I'll hold out as long as possible but rejoin the team when the season starts. Best case scenario- I get more money, too. Worst case scenario- I don't have to attend TC. It's a win/win situation."

Well, given his "displeasure" of McNabb's performance in the Super Bowl, it's reasonable to think that he simply won't let it go.

As for him not attending training camp, I bet you're right. However, I do think Owens will be there but not in an official capacity. I wouldn't put it past him to be in a crowd.

I'm glad I entertain you. Never is anything as "simple" as it appears to be. You know how vocal Owens can be. He even dogged Garcia, remember? Without a need to state the obvious, we all know that Owens has that "Me first" attitude. When you have two combustable elements like McNabb and Owens, Coach Reed will do what he can to keep both but he's going to definitely keep the future of his team. Unfortunately for Owens, the future is McNabb. Owens still has gas in the tank, but Owens will only go so far while McNabb can go the distance.

So, when it comes right down to it, Owens is on the hot seat for being old. It's some bullcrap, but that's exactly how it is.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I don't get it, how could TO be holding out to keep McNabb from getting resigned? McNabb already signed a 100+ million dollar contract a year or two ago. He's signed for a few more years already.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Rack said:
I don't get it, how could TO be holding out to keep McNabb from getting resigned? McNabb already signed a 100+ million dollar contract a year or two ago. He's signed for a few more years already.

I don't think he has. I could be mistaken but I'm not entirely sure. You could be taking about Vick because he's the only QB to get that kind of deal. Manning was close, but he didn't get an $100 million contract. Michael Vick was the only QB in history to get that kind of extension.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
donovan mcnabb signs for $135 million

At the start of the 2002 season, Donovan McNabb signed the richest contract in NFL history. On paper he would receive $115 million over 12 years, with $20.5 million in bonus money.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
donovan mcnabb signs for $135 million

At the start of the 2002 season, Donovan McNabb signed the richest contract in NFL history. On paper he would receive $115 million over 12 years, with $20.5 million in bonus money.

Thanks for the clearup. I wasn't sure. I bet that contract of his is backloaded like a mofo. He'll retire before he can finish that contract. At least he didn't get Peyton Manning bonus money. I kinda feel sorry for the Colts if he has to retire before he can finish out his contract.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Doomsday said:
I might be alone on this but I have no problem with TO is doing. I took a job once and agreed to a certain salary, 6 months later the market for that type of work went through the rough and I asked for a raise. I didnt get it so I found another job that paid me what I felt was fair. If an NFL club doesnt think a player is worth their salary anymore they can ask a player to take a pay cut or he will be released. In my opinion TO has the same right to change his mind and ask for more money if he thinks hes worth it. That is how the system is set up! You always hear people say then why did he sign such and such contract but you never hear people say why did the Rams sign X player for 5 years if they were going to release him after 2 seasons.

Sorry, you just don't understand the realities of the situation, Dooms...

There is language written into every contract that allows a team to terminate that contract at their discretion, there is NOT similar language written into those contracts allowing the players to tear up that contract...

IOW, when the teams cut a player before his contract is up, they're allowed to do so by the wording of the contract, but a player does not have similar protection written into that contract... so when a team cuts a player, they are not violating the terms of his contract... however, the reverse is not true for the player...

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Sorry, you just don't understand the realities of the situation, Dooms...

There is language written into every contract that allows a team to terminate that contract at their discretion, there is NOT similar language written into those contracts allowing the players to tear up that contract...

IOW, when the teams cut a player before his contract is up, they're allowed to do so by the wording of the contract, but a player does not have similar protection written into that contract... so when a team cuts a player, they are not violating the terms of his contract... however, the reverse is not true for the player...

Discretion indeed. An owner can cut a guy if he looked at him cockeyed for all he cares.

I don't even think players are even protected by a contract. All the contract says is that so and so player is legally bound to play for so and so team until this contract expires. Furthermore, so and so team has the discretion to dismiss so and so player for any reason at any time. However, so and so team is forced to pay a severance package (signing bonus) to so and so player should said contract be terminated before the expiration date.

The CBA for the NFL needs to be reworked to prohibit a holdout of any kind and instill more rights to the players against the coaches/owners should such a circumstance arise. Kinda like the NBA's CBA. They have a maximum amount of money payable and the contract isn't guaranteed. Should a trade occur, the contract just shifts teams instead of a bonus being paid out.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
Not exactly relevant to the Cowboys, but definitely bad news for our division rivals. This should put to rest what McNabb said today - T.O. is clearly digging in for the long haul. These are his own words:

"It doesn't matter what peoplle say about me, Philadelphia, San Francisco, all across the world. They can believe what they want to believe" ... "what I'm doing is right and for my family. I don't have to play football, I don't have to play for the Eaglles, that doesn't matter to me, all that matters is my family. " ... "I'll play for anybody that allows me to go out there and do what I do and pay me what I deserve, that'all I ask. If I'm one of the top players in the game, pay me like the top player in the game. Right is right and wrong is wrong."

:iggles:
WE'll see what his family thinks when he starts giving money back and isn't making anything this year....they'll both compromise halfway through preseason, and he'll be in the lineup on opening day...this has gone on for decades, even in Dallas, and it seldom makes any impact on the team or the season....remember Emmitt holding out all offseason and through the first two games of the season? And then he signed and started playing and we won the SB that year. What goes on in the offseason regarding money and contracts looks important, but it usually isn't.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
WE'll see what his family thinks when he starts giving money back and isn't making anything this year....they'll both compromise halfway through preseason, and he'll be in the lineup on opening day...this has gone on for decades, even in Dallas, and it seldom makes any impact on the team or the season....remember Emmitt holding out all offseason and through the first two games of the season? And then he signed and started playing and we won the SB that year. What goes on in the offseason regarding money and contracts looks important, but it usually isn't.

Emmitt did not have a contract at the time, his had run out and they were in contract discussions while he was not playing.

Leagally speaking, I BELIVE (I don't have a copy of the contract, nor am I a lawyer) that he can hold out and the Eagles don't have to pay him. Pretty simple stuff.

Were its gets more complicated is, when and IF he returns. I belive he has roster bonus's due (next Spring maybe ?). I think he has to play a certain number of games ? Maybe half of the season, to be eligable for it ? I'm sure people with a better understanding here can elaborate better on this. But, if he comes back, do they have to pay or play him ? Make him inactive on game day because he is not ready ? Can they suspend him without pay so he doesn't play half of the season ?

From what he said, he sounds like its a matter of ego and pride now...and I'm fairly certain that the Eagles won't back down either. He could end up sitting out the season and be released next Spring right before his roster bonus is due. Making him then a 33 year old free agent with attitude problems. No more big paydays...Of course the Skins or Oakland might come to his rescue :)

To me, for now its pretty good entertainment during the off season.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
It is not true that TO don't have any bargaining power. The iggles are an elite team with him; they are only above average with out him. The iggles will buckle if they start 0-2, 0-3. Of course the paradox to that is they start 2-0, 3-0, then the heat will be squarely on TO and DR. :iggles:

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Oh for God's sake. He just had to bring in what's best for his family. It's not best for his family for T.O. to get a raise. It's what T.O. wants. More to the point, it's what he "deserves." He got a rather lofty contract to begin with and now he's wanting more.

He's just flat out being greedy. Now, if he was getting paid half that, he might have a point. But right now, he's just being a dick and exploiting the Eagles for cash. That's not right.

Hoov

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
It is not true that TO don't have any bargaining power. The iggles are an elite team with him; they are only above average with out him. The iggles will buckle if they start 0-2, 0-3. Of course the paradox to that is they start 2-0, 3-0, then the heat will be squarely on TO and DR. :iggles:

Yes, the eagles have put too many eggs in one basket so to speak with TO. First, they are more of a passing team then a running team. Second, aside from to their next WR is pinkston who doesn't really scare DB's and after that who else has experience. Without TO, teams can put their best CB on pinkston and use a variety of schemes to cover westbrook.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
For all of those that are less than enamored with TO, this needs to be in the NFL Zone.

Some could care less if he plays for the Eagles again or not.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Terrell Owens has no bargaining power period. He's under contract so he's obligated to participate in team activities unless otherwise specified. His holdout just signifies that he wants his way and he's going to whine, pout, cry, or whatever word you can associate with complain until he gets his way.

The sad reality, at least for him is, that it is very unlikely that he will get his way. Isn't he getting docked like $6,000+ for every day he holds out? If Terrell Owens was doing what's best for his family as he so claims, he'd stop holding out and participate as he is obligated to.

The bottom line is that Terrell Owens thinks he can manipulate his front office to make it the "Terrell Owens Show." It's not going to happen and despite his best efforts, the Eagles will win in the end.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
Terrell Owens has no bargaining power period. He's under contract so he's obligated to participate in team activities unless otherwise specified. His holdout just signifies that he wants his way and he's going to whine, pout, cry, or whatever word you can associate with complain until he gets his way.

The sad reality, at least for him is, that it is very unlikely that he will get his way. Isn't he getting docked like $6,000+ for every day he holds out? If Terrell Owens was doing what's best for his family as he so claims, he'd stop holding out and participate as he is obligated to.

The bottom line is that Terrell Owens thinks he can manipulate his front office to make it the "Terrell Owens Show." It's not going to happen and despite his best efforts, the Eagles will win in the end.
You are entitled to your opinion but in reality everything is negotiable. I don’t care about what reasons TO stated about wanting more money, frankly I could care even less about the iggle’s organization but if they start 0-2, 0-3, 0-4; what do you think will happen if TO is still holding out?

The bottom line is no one on their team is capable of replicating TO’s production and how this plays out IMO will be solely tied to the iggle’s on field performance without TO.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

Are you serious?

You kill me.

I think that's a large part. But I suspect he wants to be paid as the best player at his position and he has a point.

I don't agree with contracts in this league. Neither side are very good at honoring them. In fact I've found contracts to be relatively worthless over my life. Only a few people really honor them. That's not saying contracts shouldn't be worth something. I'm one of those few that believe a man's word is what makes a contract worth something. In reality they usually don't mean doddle-s***. Let me correct that in an edit. I'm one person who peoples your word is your bond. I can't speak for others.

And I don't get warm and fuzzy because I've signed a contract and I don't get upset when it's suddenly not worth anything. It's that way in business.

I think TO should do what he can to get as much as possible for himself therefore his family as long as he can. His career is much shorter than most people's jobs over their lifetime.

It's the grating way TO goes about everything that creates his problems. If he would go about it quietly as possible then he would be more efficient at it and less abrasive. Others do manage to do that.

On the other hand I don't think TO can go about anything quietly anymore than the President can. He's gonna be under the microscope from here on out. That's part the media's fault/duty and a lot his own fault for making himself a media magnet rather than a quiet non story that the press learns to ignore as it's a dead end street. Heck, TO is a major freeway with a zillion overpasses and intersections.

In the end he'll play and miss TC because Philly won't play ball (this way). And he'll get another big contract hext year because Philly will unload him. In the meantime they'll all kiss and pretend makeup part real and he'll have a typical TO year. Then will have to listen to all this again in a couple of years.

You don't think he'll play into his 40's do you?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jobberone said:
I think that's a large part. But I suspect he wants to be paid as the best player at his position and he has a point.

I don't agree with contracts in this league. Neither side are very good at honoring them. In fact I've found contracts to be relatively worthless over my life. Only a few people really honor them. That's not saying contracts shouldn't be worth something. I'm one of those few that believe a man's word is what makes a contract worth something. In reality they usually don't mean doddle-s***.

And I don't get warm and fuzzy because I've signed a contract and I don't get upset when it's suddenly not worth anything. It's that way in business.

I think TO should do want he can to get as much as possible for himself therefore his family as long as he can. His career is much shorter than most people's jobs over their lifetime.

It's the grating way TO goes about everything that creates his problems. If he would go about it quietly as possible then he would be more efficient at it and less abrasive. Others do manage to do that.

On the other hand I don't think TO can go about anything quietly anymore than the President can. He's gonna be under the microscope from here on out. That's part the media's fault/duty and a lot his own fault for making himself a media magnet rather than a quiet non story that the press learns to ignore as it's a dead end street. Heck, TO is a major freeway with a zillion overpasses and intersections.

In the end he'll play and miss TC because Philly won't play ball (this way). And he'll get another big contract hext year because Philly will unload him. In the meantime they'll all kiss and pretend makeup part real and he'll have a typical TO year. Then will have to listen to all this again in a couple of years.

You don't think he'll play into his 40's do you?
Perfectly stated!