Twitter: Taco Charltons 10 Yard Split

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I wrote when he was drafted that 4 sacks in his rookie season would be a good year. He got 3. Close enough.

I think he's a 6-8 sack per year career average guy. If he plays 10 seasons, he'll wind up with about 60-70 sacks, with maybe 1 or 2 double digit sack years sprinkled in to offset a couple of seasons (like last year) when he's below his career average.

He's a solid, but not spectacular late 1st round/early 2nd round draft pick. It's what you expect when you're picking 28th.

The Comp player for him when he was picked was Justin Tuck of the Giants. Tuck played 11 seasons, getting double digit sacks 4 times, and making a Pro Bowl appearance twice. he ended his career with 66.5 sacks. Tuck had only 1 sack in his first two combined seasons, and only started 2 games in his first 3 years in the NFL.

That's what I expect from Charlton. In fact, Charlton is ahead of Tuck's pace. :)

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You havent? There have been countless discussions about how Taco's doesnt have to speed to be a top pass rushing DE.
I guess I don't pay attention. 40 time isn't really the same as being on the field.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Perhaps the reason people got a little frustrated was this.

T.J. Watt - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - INT - - Yrds

Taco Carlton - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - Int - - Yrds

Shawne Merriman - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - INT - - Yrds

Demarcus Ware - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - Int - - Yrds

how it starts, isn't how it always ends

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I wrote when he was drafted that 4 sacks in his rookie season would be a good year. He got 3. Close enough.

I think he's a 6-8 sack per year career average guy. If he plays 10 seasons, he'll wind up with about 60-70 sacks, with maybe 1 or 2 double digit sack years sprinkled in to offset a couple of seasons (like last year) when he's below his career average.

He's a solid, but not spectacular late 1st round/early 2nd round draft pick. It's what you expect when you're picking 28th.

The Comp player for him when he was picked was Justin Tuck of the Giants. Tuck played 11 seasons, getting double digit sacks 4 times, and making a Pro Bowl appearance twice. he ended his career with 66.5 sacks. Tuck had only 1 sack in his first two combined seasons, and only started 2 games in his first 3 years in the NFL.

That's what I expect from Charlton. In fact, Charlton is ahead of Tuck's pace. :)
Tuck was also know for being kicked inside in pass rush situations.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Shawne Merriman - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - INT - - Yrds

Demarcus Ware - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - Int - - Yrds

how it starts, isn't how it always ends

As I said, stats are meaningless. Results are all that counts. Those two are not the same in a lot of cases. My purpose was to perhaps reflect on why people were down on Carlton.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Perhaps the reason people got a little frustrated was this.

T.J. Watt - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - INT - - Yrds

Taco Carlton - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - Int - - Yrds

One wonders if Taco responded to his first year like Watt, would he have been on the field more? And maybe those stats he posted would be different. More impressive.

We'll never know. But Carlton was taken before Watt. You decide what significance that has to the upcoming draft.

By the way, I don't like stats. The one in the anchor post is deceiving as are the ones above. Stats and results are not necessary the same.

"Stats and results are not necessary the same."

Actually, they are EXACTLY the same thing.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Is he the second coming of D-Ware? No. Look at D-Law. Took him a few years. I expect good things from Taco and maybe even Tapper this year. I hate when they start moving players around. Do that crap in practice not in games. We need a big guy in DT but Marinelli wants smaller more agile players. They get caught up and have a hard time shedding or taking on the blocks.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
My purpose was to perhaps reflect on why people were down on Carlton.
People were down on Charlton because they’re fans, because they have no patience with draft picks, and because they looked at those stats you showed for their rookie seasons and lack the football acumen to realize that Watt is too small to anchor against a strong run game as a 43 DE.

Taco can anchor against the run. He can slide inside with his length and size. He can play either side.

In a 43 scheme... he’s just a better pick unless all you want from your first round pick is a part-time, situational pass rusher that, to be honest, needs to be schemed to have some free runs at the QB IMO.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
What I saw when looking at his tape before the draft was a DE that was routinely the last person on both sides of the line to come out of his stance at the snap of the ball .
He would often "get in on the play" because of his speed once he got going, which I'm sure earned him a lot of assists at Michigan.
I didn't realize he was as quick as his 10 yd split suggests, or I may have felt better about the pick when it was made.
I suppose if snap anticipation and explosion out of the stance can be taught, then he could end up being a real gem for the Cowboys down the line (pun not intended).

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Comparing Watts and Taco stats playing different positions really doesn't prove much...

I'm eager to see what an offseason and added weight/strength will bring. The tools are there for him to be a solid starter in this league.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
What I saw when looking at his tape before the draft was a DE that was routinely the last person on both sides of the line to come out of his stance at the snap of the ball .
He would often "get in on the play" because of his speed once he got going, which I'm sure earned him a lot of assists at Michigan.
I didn't realize he was as quick as his 10 yd split suggests, or I may have felt better about the pick when it was made.
I suppose if snap anticipation and explosion out of the stance can be taught, then he could end up being a real gem for the Cowboys down the line (pun not intended).
If that 10-yard split time is to be believed... his get-off is very good.

I do know that in college he was asked to read-and-react at the snap. That kills a DL’s first step. Marinelli, of course, asks his DL to get upfield and attack the ball.