Twitter: Taco Charltons 10 Yard Split

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think he starts at RDE this year. I could see them moving Lawrence over, but he has a skill set that makes him a unique player on the left side. Its also where he logged an 8 and a 14 sack season

When Taco started coming on, it was at LDE while we were playing Lawrence some at RDE and he was still able to get pressure and sacks. That's partially why I believe that's the way the team will go. Most teams like to put their strongest pass rusher at right end because usually he gets more one-on-one opportunities and he's attacking the quarterback's blindside.

So I don't believe it's about any perception that Charlton is too slow. I think it's about how good Lawrence is.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
"Stats and results are not necessary the same."

Actually, they are EXACTLY the same thing.

Really?

So Romo threw for great stats and yet the team didn't win squat. Keep in mind this is a team game. So no, results are not always the same.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
When Taco started coming on, it was at LDE while we were playing Lawrence some at RDE and he was still able to get pressure and sacks. That's partially why I believe that's the way the team will go. Most teams like to put their strongest pass rusher at right end because usually he gets more one-on-one opportunities and he's attacking the quarterback's blindside.

So I don't believe it's about any perception that Charlton is too slow. I think it's about how good Lawrence is.

Lawrence is a damn good football player and he’s what 25? I’m excited about Taco and was pretty happy how he progresses as the year went on. You can tell it was starting to click for him.

conner01

Reaction score
Lawrence is a damn good football player and he’s what 25? I’m excited about Taco and was pretty happy how he progresses as the year went on. You can tell it was starting to click for him.
Dlaw has developed more rush moves and is really good with his hands
Those are things you develope with playing
I wasn’t a fan of Taco where he was taken but I was impressed how he came on late
He just needs to keep learning and getting reps

millennial_legend

Reaction score
too slow to play DE, probably no one. too slow to play RDE, several
Greg Hardy was a slower RDE too and he was fine. And there's not a slower starting 4-3 RDE in the league than Tyrone Crawford (who is DEFINITELY not an RDE, btw), that's for damn sure.

You don't have to be a hybrid DE/OLB to be an RDE, that's a myth.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Perhaps the reason people got a little frustrated was this.

T.J. Watt - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - INT - - Yrds

Taco Carlton - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - Int - - Yrds

One wonders if Taco responded to his first year like Watt, would he have been on the field more? And maybe those stats he posted would be different. More impressive.

We'll never know. But Carlton was taken before Watt. You decide what significance that has to the upcoming draft.

By the way, I don't like stats. The one in the anchor post is deceiving as are the ones above. Stats and results are not necessary the same.

That's almost like comparing a safety to a linebacker.......they play two different positions.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Greg Hardy was a slower RDE too and he was fine. And there's not a slower starting 4-3 RDE in the league than Tyrone Crawford (who is DEFINITELY not an RDE, btw), that's for damn sure.

You don't have to be a hybrid DE/OLB to be an RDE, that's a myth.
I think that's wath it is.....people have this notion that you need to be fast and long to play RDE.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Really?

So Romo threw for great stats and yet the team didn't win squat. Keep in mind this is a team game. So no, results are not always the same.

Well team results and individual results ARE NOT the same thing. So there's that. (In fact, if you look on the NFL website, they actually track team stats and individual stats differently - what a shock!!)

You MIGHT even say that one good player cannot win a Super Bowl by himself.

By a similar measure, DeMarcus Ware had "results" of 117 sacks in 9 seasons with the Cowboys, an average of 13 sacks per season, but the TEAM "results" didn't match his INDIVIDUAL "results" - maybe because just as Romo couldn't do it alone on offense, Ware couldn't do it alone on defense.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Jaylon improved as the year went on also.
:popcorn:

If he didn't, it would've been a horrific year. Jaylon couldn't have been much worse than he was early on. He was an absolute liability who teams targeted the first part of the season. Some improvement basically had to happen. He needs to be very good this year (his THIRD year) to justify the (almost a 1st round) pick that was spent on him IMO.

As far as Taco, he looked pretty decent at the end of the year and I believe he can be a good/solid DE.

gmoney112

Reaction score
For a DE the 10 yard split is a much more relevant indicator than 40 times.

BTW, his official time at the Combine was 1.69. For reference, Joey Bosa’s was 1.68.

Charlton also weighed in heavier. Great split for a 277 pound dude.

I think Taco will actually end up being a pretty decent RE this year. Lawrence and Irving may make him look a little better than he is, but he's young and that's why it's a team game.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Pulled this off an old tweet from Mosher.

Corrects the false belief that he is " to slow" to play DE

Taco has more than enough quickness.
He needs to be more consistent with his get off.
Let him get a little stronger this offseason and he'll be a good DE.
I'd put D-Law at weakside DE
and Taco at strongside DE,
Crawford rotating at both spots.
Not opposed to drafting another DE
with a top 3 pick either.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps the reason people got a little frustrated was this.

T.J. Watt - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - INT - - Yrds

Taco Carlton - Comb - - Asst - - Sack - - Int - - Yrds

One wonders if Taco responded to his first year like Watt, would he have been on the field more? And maybe those stats he posted would be different. More impressive.

We'll never know. But Carlton was taken before Watt. You decide what significance that has to the upcoming draft.

By the way, I don't like stats. The one in the anchor post is deceiving as are the ones above. Stats and results are not necessary the same.
Apples and oranges. Different positions. Different teams. Far different snap counts.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
What people are failing to realize is that the Cowboys defense is “left handed”. What I mean is this....
D Lawrence is more of your quick twitch DE that is your #1 pass rusher. In a 4-3 that guy is usually on the RIGHT or weak side going against your left tackle (usually best pass-blocker). The Cowboys do the opposite. Lawrence is more comfortable and plays on the LEFT mostly against slower right tackles. He is a nightmare for them. This forces teams to chip on that side or leave in an extra blocker. Leaves your right DE one on one. So a RDE in the Cowboys defense is really a LDEon any other team. Thus, guys like Taco are in the correct spot. I predict more 4-3 teams will catch on to this in the future which will change the traditional way a RT plays as well. A beast at 1 tech would only make this D line more dangerous.

Last edited:

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The eye test on taco:

Dude looks like he's about to fall down every single play. I can't take him seriously until he does something.

Verdict

Reaction score
Taco is still soft, soggy, bland and cold. Maybe he will get a bit more spicy, and warm. Right now we need a better chef in the kitchen.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I just saw in another thread that he needs to be moved to DT because he is too slow. And ever since he has been drafted many people have looked at his 40 time and came to to assumption due to his speed he needs to either play LDE or move inside

Yeah, I don't get that either. DL don't need to run fast 40s. They need to get off the ball quickly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pulled this off an old tweet from Mosher.

Corrects the false belief that he is " to slow" to play DE

That would have been great, but I see much higher numbers elsewhere
http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Taco&l=Charlton&i=22263
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...-edge-rusher-mayowa-irving-lawrence-tapper/2/

I'll take articles and a dedicated web site over a tweet. If anyone has a more authoritative source for 10 yard splits, I'd be happy to see it.