Taco seems to have bust written all over him

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Collins is a JAG. Gregory is a bust. Taco is a bust. So, that nullifies your math. lol

Fact is that Marinelli has found 1 pro bowl DL in 7 drafts. Thats not good enough on any team.

How many top 10 picks has rod used on the DL? How many top 20?

Dlaw - round 2 pick 34
Taco - round 1 pick 28
Gregory - round 2 pick 60
Armstrong - round 4 pick 116
Collins - round 3 pick 67
Woods - undrafted
Hill - round 2 pick 26
Crawford - round 3 pick 81

So, he has taken a bunch of late picks, and DEVELOPED them. There is a reason he is considered a great d line coach. He gets the most out of his talent.

Jones and LVE, are the only other first round picks on defense.

The high draft picks are on offense. He started out with the worst defense in the league and switched it from a 3-4 to 4-3. This year will be his 5th year as the coordinator. So, you can't say, " fact is he has found 1 pro bowler in 7 years on dl."

He has built a defense that has some depth, and is performing at a high level. He did this without using high draft picks. The cowboys actually have a defense now.

You don't have to like him, but he should get a little credit

Last edited:

staubach24

Reaction score
Through the past 7 or 8 years, the Cowboys have put together some pretty good drafts. Taco was simply a swing and a miss. Sell to the highest bidder and move on.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Through the past 7 or 8 years, the Cowboys have put together some pretty good drafts. Taco was simply a swing and a miss. Sell to the highest bidder and move on.

It is too early to call taco a bust. He still has three years on his rookie contract

JBond

Reaction score
So did he give Dak the kiss of Death too
  • I thought it was a good start for Dak Prescott. It would have been nice to punch his only drive in, but overall line one is to move the club and he did. He took advantage of some nice protection and his teammates stepped up to help him along the way. I thought his last pass that was tipped had a chance to be a touchdown to Blake Jarwin, especially where Jarwin was positioned in the end zone. Give some credit to Sheldon Day for getting his hand up to make the deflection.
His teammates stepped up to carry him. Nothing has changed.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many top 10 picks has rod used on the DL? How many top 20?

Dlaw - round 2 pick 34
Taco - round 1 pick 28
Gregory - round 2 pick 60
Armstrong - round 4 pick 116
Collins - round 3 pick 67
Woods - undrafted
Hill - round 2 pick 26
Crawford - round 3 pick 81

So, he has taken a bunch of late picks, and DEVELOPED them. There is a reason he is considered a great d line coach. He gets the most out of his talent.

Jones and LVE, are the only other first round picks on defense.

The high draft picks are on offense. He started out with the worst defense in the league and switched it from a 3-4 to 4-3. This year will be his 5th year as the coordinator. So, you can't say, " fact is he has found 1 pro bowler in 7 years on dl."

He has built a defense that has some depth, and is performing at a high level. He did this without using high draft picks. The cowboys actually have a defense now.

You don't have to like him, but he should get a little credit

Marinelli had nothing to do with the drafting of Tyrone Crawford. You also have your timeline wrong. This is his 6th season as DC and 7th on staff. Kiffin is the one who switched us to the tampa 2 version of the 4-3. So, wrong there too.

I disagree with your assessments of the talent he's brought in and a 2nd round pick is a very valuable asset. That said, I am not disputing that he is good at coaching guys up. But the fact remains that since DLAW, he hasn't had much luck drafting DL. Taco and Gregory are total busts and Hill looks like he couldn't start at Auburn let alone the Dallas Cowboys. That was a bad reach. Marinelli does better with journeymen where he has actual NFL tape on them.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Marinelli had nothing to do with the drafting of Tyrone Crawford. You also have your timeline wrong. This is his 6th season as DC and 7th on staff. Kiffin is the one who switched us to the tampa 2 version of the 4-3. So, wrong there too.

So you give him credit under kiffen for a year of draft failure, but not credit for the switch to 4-3.

He helped develop Crawford in my book, I wonder what Tyrone would say.

It is his 6th year. I figured it wrong.

Taco is not a bust yet. He has only played 2 out if a possible 5 years. Hill has only played 2 preseason games.

The defense has improved with every draft since he has been here, and since the switch to 4/3 whether he gets credit or not.

The dline is starting to shape up and has depth, the lb group is top notch, the secondary looks really good. The money and draft picks are on offense.

He rebuilt the whole defense for the most part without using 1st round picks or high priced free agents. The cowboys have a very young and talented defense that has depth in all areas

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
So you give him credit under kiffen for a year of draft failure, but not credit for the switch to 4-3.

Taco is not a bust yet. He has only played 2 out if a possible 5 years. Hill has only played 2 preseason games.

The defense has improved with every draft since he has been here, and since the switch to 4/3 whether he gets credit or not.

The dline is starting to shape up and has depth, the lb group is top notch, the secondary looks really good. The money and draft picks are on offense.

He rebuilt the whole defense for the most part without using 1st round picks or high priced free agents. The cowboys have a very young and talented defense that has depth in all areas
Except NT and S.

kskboys

Reaction score
He is a horrible talent evaluator, he doesn’t take the DT position seriously and he is an over hyped coach.
He doesn't understand the DT position. He fills the roster w/ 3 tech types, not understanding that you need other types.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Except NT and S.

Safety's are overated. You either get lucky and get one of the rare ones or you don't. And then their skill depends on the dline and corners.

I have been watching your post on dt's and the dline for years. I am going to be pleased when every thing clicks, and the depth of guys over the years turns into a worthy squad in your eyes.

You either invest top notch draft picks which the cowboys don't have, or top notch free agent money and strap the team. And then their is rod, evaluating, coaching, and chugging along.

kskboys

Reaction score
Safety's are overated. You either get lucky and get one of the rare ones or you don't. And then their skill depends on the dline and corners.

I have been watching your post on dt's and the dline for years. I am going to be pleased when every thing clicks, and the depth of guys over the years turns into a worthy squad in your eyes.

You either invest top notch draft picks which the cowboys don't have, or top notch free agent money and strap the team. And then their is rod, evaluating, coaching, and chugging along.
Absolutely!!!!

The only way to overcome incomplete D's is to have top 5 players. We can get by w/o a real NT if we can find two guys who can play at a very high level at DT. Might work. I've seen it tried several times, and it generally doesn't, but maybe. Giants didn't have a true NT type in their last two super bowl D's, though Cofield was more than competent. OAK was the last one I remember trying to play two 3 tech types at DT w/ Seymour and Kelly. Both were topnotch 3 techs, but it didn't work. I base most of my takes on studying history, and I'm more than happy to admit when I'm wrong.

S? Tough to find one, I agree.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Absolutely!!!!

The only way to overcome incomplete D's is to have top 5 players. We can get by w/o a real NT if we can find two guys who can play at a very high level at DT. Might work. I've seen it tried several times, and it generally doesn't, but maybe. Giants didn't have a true NT type in their last two super bowl D's, though Cofield was more than competent. OAK was the last one I remember trying to play two 3 tech types at DT w/ Seymour and Kelly. Both were topnotch 3 techs, but it didn't work. I base most of my takes on studying history, and I'm more than happy to admit when I'm wrong.

S? Tough to find one, I agree.

The cowboys main course is ball control on offense. They had it back in 14, but they had no defense. Last year they had ball control and defense, but they couldn't score.

I think this year they will have ball control, big plays in the passing game, and score.

I think they have the defense. Last year the defense was having to keep them in the game until they could score. Hopefully this year the will have leads, and the defense can attack and take risks. That might make rod look good.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Look, you obviously your own perspective as warped as it may be. Good luck!

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Look, you obviously your own perspective as warped as it may be. Good luck!

Good luck to you too. I am rooting for you to get the DC coordinator you want. Who can bring in players with draft picks they don't have and salary cap money they don have

I will be enjoying my perspective of mcclay pretty much hitting nothing but net year after year.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good luck to you too. I am rooting for you to get the DC coordinator you want. Who can bring in players with draft picks they don't have and salary cap money they don have

I will be enjoying my perspective of mcclay pretty much hitting nothing but net year after year.

Makes no sense but thats kinda your niche on the board.

dfense

Reaction score
I'm just wondering why every player who isn"t All-Pro a bust.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Collins is a JAG. Gregory is a bust. Taco is a bust. So, that nullifies your math. lol

Fact is that Marinelli has found 1 pro bowl DL in 7 drafts. Thats not good enough on any team.
They haven't even tried to address defensive line. The offensive line has three 1st rounders on it including one player who should've been a 1st a rounder......then they invested a 2nd rounder in Williams and McGovern.....a bit unfair to blame Maranelli for that.