Taco, Trystena, Clear Eye View, and LEV

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Smith & LVE were devastating their 1st year as a duo , so let's see if that can be recaptured............Pollard can play and let's see what McGovern can give us this year.............I'm not going to place the Taco pick entirely on 1 individual because it was obvious we needed a defensive end to team with Lawrence and Taco just didn't work out..................Hill I place entirely on Marinelli's shoulders as is evident by his stupid giddiness when the pick went in/was announced..........................

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They should be the core of this defense. The fact that they're not and LVE's future is in doubt is troubling and a big reason why this defense feels so bare right now. How McClay continues to get a pass for this is perplexing.

Taco is the only absolute miss of this group.

Smith played at a Pro Bowl level in 2018 and dropped off some last year (even though he did get to go to the Pro Bowl). LVE was close to Pro Bowl level as a rookie, but slipped seemingly due to injury. Hill was a second-round rookie with a long way to go, which is why he was available in the second round with his measurables.

Taco should have turned out better, and he might in Miami. He had five sacks in 10 games.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hill has one year in. Let's give the kid a chance before writing him off as a bust!
Ya think! We knew he would be a project. But because he didn't walk in and get 10-12 sacks as a almost 3rd round rookie he suddenly is a bust.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Not sure Taco is a bust, but the guy coaching him gave up on him. We should have never let him go last season! Still on a rookie deal.....
Taco is a bust!

If a guy is on a rookie deal and he can’t play the smart thing to do is admit your mistake and get rid of him.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Ya think! We knew he would be a project. But because he didn't walk in and get 10-12 sacks as a almost 3rd round rookie he suddenly is a bust.
He didn’t walk in and get 1 sack!

He’s a bust. Another Taco. I should say another soft Taco.

Javier

Reaction score
*Jaylon Tackles

-Jaylon: "LETS GOO BABYY CLEAR EYE VIEW!!!" *The Swap*

*First down opponent

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I remember the Monte Kiffin era, and everyone was begging Jerry to replace him with Rod. And when it happened people were celebrating even more than when Garrett was canned... if you can believe that. He was THE guy. And now everyone is so sure things will improve with the next guy. You SURE sure?

I used to defend Rod. The last 2 seasons he lost me. This past, nearly every defender had a down season. The LBs were terrible. He needs much of the blame.

lockster

Reaction score
Both played bad
Jaylon Smith and Vander Esch are very good players so this just looks like a dumb post
Last year, and played like chickens. I'm about to fun them Barbie carpenter 1.0 and 2.0. :).

chagus

Reaction score
LCrMzobEW5EjUwgK9

chicago JK

Reaction score
It is really tough and probably not entirely fair to look back at past drafts and say what if. Although as we sit now, the Cowboys are probably not a super bowl contender this year. They really need to hit home runs in the next two drafts to be in that conversation imo.

Although playing what if, if you just go back and draft Watt a few years ago and take the safety that fell to you last year in the second round, we may be in a completely better spot now. It looks like we will get nothing out of Taco and Hill (Hill is still TBD, but he will need to earn his roster spot this year after last year not being one of the best 53). If you had Watt opposite Lawrence and a young league average starter at safety, then our draft/FA needs would be much smaller now and we could be opportunistic. That is past, but Dallas needs to reverse their recent poor drafting if they want to have any luck in the early 2020's.

Blackrain

Reaction score
How fast the OP is willing to give up on Trysten Hill and LVE is the alarming thing here. It's too early to call these two a bust just yet. Taco has proven himself in Miami to be better than Marinelli would allow him to be. That error in coaching has been addressed. Overall I think the Cowboys drafting over the past 4 or 5 years has been far better than most teams.

Yep but the coaching ruined its best efforts

TwentyOne

Reaction score
They should be the core of this defense. The fact that they're not and LVE's future is in doubt is troubling and a big reason why this defense feels so bare right now. How McClay continues to get a pass for this is perplexing.

Taco who?

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I wouldn't look for Jaylon to behave the way he did last season. This defensive staff is completely no-nonsense, which is a relief.

There are huge question marks around the other players (obviously not including Taco) listed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I doubt Hill is on the roster in the fall. Beat writers reported that he wasn't overly bright or motivated. I also doubt McCarthy feels he owes him benefit of the doubt.

It's not what McCarthy owes anyone, but what he can make of Hill. I'm sure Hill realizes he hasn't won over the world. In interviews, he seemed like an ok guy to me.

Hill still has the rare athleticism that brought him here. Besides injury, there's no way he's not on the roster come the fall.

RS12

Reaction score
It's not what McCarthy owes anyone, but what he can make of Hill. I'm sure Hill realizes he hasn't won over the world. In interviews, he seemed like an ok guy to me.

Hill still has the rare athleticism that brought him here. Besides injury, there's no way he's not on the roster come the fall.
He didn't endear himself to the FO. Go back and read some of the stuff from around the time Stephen called him out last season. Again I doubt he is here in the fall. As bad as the d line needed help he was mostly inactive.

jnday

Reaction score
Maybe it is because those those DL were Marinelli hand picked players?