Taco vs Bobby Carpenter

mmohican29

Reaction score
Carpenter was a "bust", but at least he tried had a role in the nickel defense- not to mention an actual career. If he was a fourth or fifth round pick he'd probably be considered a good pick.

Charlton has attitude issues and it appears the Cowboys can't even move him for a late pick. He's the lone first round miss here over the past decade (Mo Claiborne was a good pick that couldn't stay healthy).

Another Romo moment was provided by the Carpenter draft selection.

The collapse vs Detroit at home. Carpenter had the clinching pick.

lk8701

Reaction score
Tough one. They both suck. One had embarrassing hair, the other has an embarrassing sack celebration. Since he also is responsible for the dumbest group nickname in the history of sports, I'm going with taco.

Carpenter went on the Cabo trip with Romo and Witten.

"Romo was also seeing famous singer/actress Jessica Simpson. And the two of them -- plus tight end Jason Witten and linebacker Bobby Carpenter -- took a trip to the Mexican resort city of Cabo San Lucas during the Cowboys' bye week."

"You don't go to Cabo the week before a playoff game," former Cowboys QB Troy Aikman told Michael Irvin on a radio interview at the time. "You just don't do it."

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who is the bigger embarrassment? Obviously the Cowboys have had plenty of other busts but these two are easily the most embarrassing IMO.

Taco is easily the worst. He basically hardly sniffed the field, on a team that is in desperate need of a RDE. He couldnt even beat out a 6th round rookie DE and he is in his 3rd year.

Probably one of the worst DE prospects I have EVER seen. And then you throw in the attitude issue? Taco by far.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How is he is the wrong system?

What system would fit him better? One like Michigan which had good talent and he could benefit from it like a remora?

To me, it is all about his attitude and his apparent lack of football character.

Thats only a small part. The biggest issue is that he just has no talent. He is terrible.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He might work as a left end but that's where Lawrence is. I'm hoping they can market him to other teams as an up-and-comer (based on preseason) LE that is redundant on our roster.

LOL....based on what preseason? He had one good showing against Houstons 3rd strong Oline. And before Tunsil, they probably had the worst starting Oline in football.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Taco put out a tweet or something a while ago where he said he didn't like the system and hinted that he wanted to just attack and rush the QB first. Here, it appears he is asked to do other things and then rush the QB. Can't remember the specifics. Sounds to me like Taco wants to be more free to go after the QB and just attack.

Thats laughable as the entire Marinelli DL technique is to rush the passer. Hence the term "Rush men". You stop the run on your way to the QB.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Who is the bigger embarrassment? Obviously the Cowboys have had plenty of other busts but these two are easily the most embarrassing IMO.

Most embarrassing? Maybe if you think Cowboys history began in 2001. :muttley:

Between those two, however, Taco is worse. Why? Because Carpenter actually won his games in the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Social media was not around in the 1970s and 1980s, even most of the 1990s. Typically most people found out who got drafted via the papers and had no clue what they were about until they actually watched them.

I can only imagine how Gil Brandt's 1st round busts like Bill Thomas, Charley Young, Aaron Kyle, Larry Bethea, Robert Shaw, Howard Richards and Rod Hill would have looked at through today's lens.

I am not making any excuses for McClay and Co. They should own these busts. Just providing a little perspective. Perhaps if fans were in the dark like they used to be it might be a little less painful to watch the mistakes fizzle.

You can add Billy Cannon Jr to the list.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think Marc Colombo disliked him. He hung the nickname on him.

But he also palled around with Romo and Witten and was one of the infamous Cabo crew. I don't think he was an especially well liked guy across social barriers in the locker room.

It was TO. Carpenter got involved in that whole dispute between TO and Romo/Witten. TO told "Barbie" to shut up.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
No way.

Rob Petitti was easily the most embarrassing, hands down.

His Dad posted here during that time. I felt so sorry for him. Posters were brutal.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Bobby Carpenter was at least actually involved in games, whereas Taco Charlton was known more for his tweet comments!

It was a pretty close race between the two of those misfits -- choosing one over the other is a gut-wrenching experience! ;)

We should have sent the both of them to another division team and allowed them to manifest their failings vs. our opponents.

Last edited: