Tacos!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Inspired by @DallasEast and felt we needed a thread about Tacos! What are your favorite tacos, how often do you eat tacos, favorite taco toppings, fav taco places, fav beverages with tacos, etc? Any and all Taco Talk is welcome!

My favs, Tacos Al Pator, slow roasted marinated pork, usually marinated with assorted chiles, fruit juices, garlic. etc sliced thin with some bits of pineapple, topped with onions, cilantro, a spicy chile verde and a squeeze of lime in warm corn tortillas
tacos-al-pastor-small-10-500x375.jpg

Carne Guisada Tacos slow simmered beef chunks in a stew like sauce with assorted chile powders, comino, garlic etc piled in a warm fluffy flour tortilla topped with some melty cheddar and jack cheeses and a spicy salsa roja.
859baff1d76042a45e319d1de80aec7a.jpeg

I normally have tacos at least 2-3 times a week.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Inspired by @DallasEast and felt we needed a thread about Tacos! What are your favorite tacos, how often do you eat tacos, favorite taco toppings, fav taco places, fav beverages with tacos, etc? Any and all Taco Talk is welcome!

My favs, Tacos Al Pator, slow roasted marinated pork, usually marinated with assorted chiles, fruit juices, garlic. etc sliced thin with some bits of pineapple, topped with onions, cilantro, a spicy chile verde and a squeeze of lime in warm corn tortillas
tacos-al-pastor-small-10-500x375.jpg

Carne Guisada Tacos slow simmered beef chunks in a stew like sauce with assorted chile powders, comino, garlic etc piled in a warm fluffy flour tortilla topped with some melty cheddar and jack cheeses and a spicy salsa roja.
859baff1d76042a45e319d1de80aec7a.jpeg

I normally have tacos at least 2-3 times a week.
My favorite tacos are those that look like yours.....real food and good balance of ingredients. Fish, steak, ground beef, pork; all good! Don't like mine on crackers (hard shell). Could never eat Taco Bell or anything like that.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I taco up at least once a week either cooking at home or at a great little local place. When eating out I like their Campechanas which is steak and chorizo mixed or their Carnitas that they do in the copper pot. At home I usually will do barbacoa, pastor, or plain ground beef. My son got me hooked on Bulgogi tacos made out of short ribs and I'll never pass up Mahi tacos. I like the toppings simple, white onion, cilantro, squeeze of lime, and taco sauce...not salsa.

If you like carnitas I do a good mock version in the crockpot. Slow cook your pork butt, shoulder, or tenderloins in whatever liquid base you like. I use beer, chicken broth, OJ, chipotle peppers, cilantro, garlic, and a Mexican seasoning. When it's cooked shred the meat and spread it across a baking pan. Drizzle the left over liquid across the meat and stick the pan under the broiler. You've got to keep tossing it and adding juice occasionally but it will eventually brown up into tasty crispy pork goodness. We'll eat it in tacos one night then make loaded fries out of the leftovers called Papas Locas.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This thread is as bad as those gameday menu ones. I’m starving now. They all look good! I’ll go with a simple one. Breakfast tacos! Chorizo and Egg Tacos. Breakfast of Champions! Easy to make and always delicious and fills me up in the AM.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I haven't a taco in years, and it's been decades since I've had a hard shell taco. I've been thinking about making some lately...but I must confess: I'm a simple taco eater. Just one of those taco kits you buy at the supermarket is fine with me.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I invented a dish awhile back combining the frito pie and Taco Bell crunch wrap. It’s basically a Mexican frito pie served in homemade flour tortillas.

Brown a pound of ground beef and mix it a basic taco seasoning(add extra cumin) packet. When done, drain the fat and add in a can of enchilada sauce and any taco sauce you want. Layer fritos in a casserole dish about 2 inches thick. Pour the beef mixture over then a can of Campbells cheddar cheese soup. Give it a good mix then layer with Mexican shredded cheese. Bake at 375 until golden brown then serve in a fresh tortilla, it’s amazing. You can even use chili cheese fritos but leave out the extra cumin.

It’s a hit now, many family members make it a couple times a month. Some add in sour cream and refried beans but I don’t stand for that! :muttley:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I haven't a taco in years, and it's been decades since I've had a hard shell taco. I've been thinking about making some lately...but I must confess: I'm a simple taco eater. Just one of those taco kits you buy at the supermarket is fine with me.
I just couldn't imagine not having a taco for that long, just infathomable! :eek: I live in Texas, so that's part of it, there are tacos everywhere. There's a great Mexican restaurant right next door, I could literally walk outside and throw a rock and hit their building........ not that I would ever do that....lol It's a great place too, it's all good but they specialize in grilled foods. They fire up their outdoor pits every morning, it always smells like fajitas when I go outside.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I invented a dish awhile back combining the frito pie and Taco Bell crunch wrap. It’s basically a Mexican frito pie served in homemade flour tortillas.

Brown a pound of ground beef and mix it a basic taco seasoning(add extra cumin) packet. When done, drain the fat and add in a can of enchilada sauce and any taco sauce you want. Layer fritos in a casserole dish about 2 inches thick. Pour the beef mixture over then a can of Campbells cheddar cheese soup. Give it a good mix then layer with Mexican shredded cheese. Bake at 375 until golden brown then serve in a fresh tortilla, it’s amazing. You can even use chili cheese fritos but leave out the extra cumin.

It’s a hit now, many family members make it a couple times a month. Some add in sour cream and refried beans but I don’t stand for that! :muttley:
I've made Frito Pie tacos, just a regular old Frito Pie just served in a taco, but that sounds even better. :thumbup:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I just couldn't imagine not having a taco for that long, just infathomable! :eek: I live in Texas, so that's part of it, there are tacos everywhere. There's a great Mexican restaurant right next door, I could literally walk outside and throw a rock and hit their building........ not that I would ever do that....lol It's a great place too, it's all good but they specialize in grilled foods. They fire up their outdoor pits every morning, it always smells like fajitas when I go outside.
Love Frito Pie! And I know RT probably wasn't referring to fast food joints LOL, but speaking of Taco Bell, those crispy/flour combo tacos are great! Just something oddly satisfying about having both textures in your mouth at the same time.

Yes, I miss Texas and the delicious Tex-Mex food and having hole-in-wall or road side taco stands at every corner. Especially as you move more South.

quickccc

Reaction score
wow .. no Tacos in years ?

That sounds like the life of a stranded castaway (ala Tom Hanks)
There's no Taco Bell, Taco Bueno or Taco Cabana in your town at all ?
Usually if it's been that long, Taco urge is just way down on your taste buds.

I'll spare you the Jack-In-Box hard shell tacos ..because they are utterly horrible, imo. ...
Soaked grease with a terrible shell texture.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
wow .. no Tacos in years ?

That sounds like the life of a stranded castaway (ala Tom Hanks)
There's no Taco Bell, Taco Bueno or Taco Cabana in your town at all ?
Usually if it's been that long, Taco urge is just way down on your taste buds.

I'll spare you the Jack-In-Box hard shell tacos ..because they are utterly horrible, imo. ...
Soaked grease with a terrible shell texture.
There's a Taco Bell, but it's nasty. When I take the ferry home from Long Island, if it's past 11:00 and I have enough time, I get freah soft tacos from a really good place nearby. But I'm rarely running late enough for the place to be open when I'm waiting for the ferry.

quickccc

Reaction score
This thread is as bad as those gameday menu ones. I’m starving now. They all look good! I’ll go with a simple one. Breakfast tacos! Chorizo and Egg Tacos. Breakfast of Champions! Easy to make and always delicious and fills me up in the AM.
Tail Gates at the Stadiums !

I've seen all kind of tacos, tamales, fajitas, quesadilla and burrito dishes..!!
Depending upon various Tail Gaters .

:flagwave:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My favorite tacos are those that look like yours.....real food and good balance of ingredients. Fish, steak, ground beef, pork; all good! Don't like mine on crackers (hard shell). Could never eat Taco Bell or anything like that.
Real tacos have a crispy home made corn shell. These are California tacos and a breakfast taco.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
radishes in tacos, in the picture, it looks like they are with shredded chicken

Has anyone had those?