Tag him and trade him

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tag him and trade him... only as long as the Jones boys won't agree to his asking price.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The March 9th deadline is fast approaching . And if no deal can be struck perhaps Tagging him is best option.

And since most feel that would mark the end of Daks career in Dallas then trading him would be best option so we at least recoup some value for him.

Otherwise he simply walks at the end of 2021 season as a Free Agent. A 3rd year Tag would cost 140% of average highest QB translating to well over 55 million for 2022 season.

Tagging and trading is looking like best option if we can’t get a deal done.
I just want the best deal for the team and it's probably not going to happen so I'll go back to my whatevs-attitude.
Football will still happen so I'll enjoy it as much as I can.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
The March 9th deadline is fast approaching . And if no deal can be struck perhaps Tagging him is best option.

And since most feel that would mark the end of Daks career in Dallas then trading him would be best option so we at least recoup some value for him.

Otherwise he simply walks at the end of 2021 season as a Free Agent. A 3rd year Tag would cost 140% of average highest QB translating to well over 55 million for 2022 season.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
For most trade requests here if Dallas tags him:

YOU CANNOT TRADE DAK UNTIL HE SIGNS THE TAG.

HE WILL WAIT UNTIL THE TAG DEADLINE IN JULY.

AT THAT POINT, MOST, IF NOT ALL, CAP SPACE WILL BE ACCOUNTED FOR.

WHY WOULD ANY FO, AT THE DEADLINE, TRADE DRAFT CAPITAL FOR A ONE YEAR $38 MILLION HIT?

All France needs to do is to whisper to FO’s that Dak will only play for the Cowboys on the tag.

Really, it’s not that difficult to connect the dots. Dallas either signs him or he walks and the teams get a 3rd.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
For sure tag himm maybe sign him next offseason if he can't be traded.

raven55

Reaction score
i think your right TAG and trade. Dak is not the bad guy in all of this, his agent France is i don't know if its true but 44million he wants Now that would destroy the team, when you give a deal like this you want all your chips there to be able to compete. We're no where near that area yet and the way they draft they keep signs out no dogs allowed. When you sign free agents that dance around and do nothing at all that is show me the money and my show will go on. And the people that should retire like Lee. he was good but his time has passed should be a coach.. And the big mouth that said you don't play at 100% he would be the first one with a tag like your fired. well when i wasn't on the forum i used to read and hear on tv cowboys are doomed if they don't sign elliot and on this very forum You said the same thing you know who you are. Didn't turn out very good fat not in shape couldn't carry the rock more than two times before it was i'm going to the sideline to pant. in closing before you get into the you had better sign him think of all the trouble that it might bring and as always see you at the 2022 draft

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
If he really wants 44 per now after that Injury he's beyond crazy. Tag and trade him if that's the case.

Steve007

Reaction score
His value is higher now than a year from now. Teams will know there is ZERO chance the Cowboys would carry Dak on their roster in 2022 under a $53 million cap hit.

If you have any inkling you won't be able to get a long term deal done, you should trade him now. Waiting a year just drives his value down further.
I agree.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Nah.

Cowboys would get more if they place the "non-exclusive" franchise tag on Dak. This would allow teams to bid on Dak. Jerry would then be able to either match the highest bid...or let Dak go while getting compensated two 1st round picks for Dak.

That's the best way to go.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
When I seen the title I thought you were talking about Xavier Woods getting tagged and traded. Had no idea it was about Dak with all this talent on the roster.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is spot on. Dak has all of the leverage. He can sign the tag when he wants. He can pick and choose what team he is willing to be traded to. Or just choose to do nothing and play on the tag.

This is all stuff we don't know. Jerry needs to find out what Dak wants if he's tagged. Is he willing to be traded? If not, then you can't tag him.

Sure you can.......non-exclusive tag gives Dak and his agent the freedom to find a better deal with another team. Of course, the Cowboys can match it but I doubt Dak would have any problems with this option.

JBS

Reaction score
That's a much worse idea than tagging him, continuing to work on a new deal, playing this year, and then continuing trying to sign him next year.

Playing on the tag this year meaning the end of his career in Dallas is ridiculous.

There is a reason why nobody has been tagged 3 years in a row

Daks camp also isn't stupid. They know Dallas won't tag dak next year and keep him on the tag. So that tactic won't even work. Not to mention the entire rest of the roster is being held at bay bc of the enormous cap hit dak would be eating for apparently no reason at all. This idea is not a good one.

The same thing also applied to other teams..why would any other team trade for Dak when they know Dallas will just rescind the tag..

JBS

Reaction score
For most trade requests here if Dallas tags him:

YOU CANNOT TRADE DAK UNTIL HE SIGNS THE TAG.

HE WILL WAIT UNTIL THE TAG DEADLINE IN JULY.

AT THAT POINT, MOST, IF NOT ALL, CAP SPACE WILL BE ACCOUNTED FOR.

WHY WOULD ANY FO, AT THE DEADLINE, TRADE DRAFT CAPITAL FOR A ONE YEAR $38 MILLION HIT?

All France needs to do is to whisper to FO’s that Dak will only play for the Cowboys on the tag.

Really, it’s not that difficult to connect the dots. Dallas either signs him or he walks and the teams get a 3rd.

Yeah just like every other player that got traded while on the tag did..

Ooops

starcity214

Reaction score
He probably wants 3 years now. I'm assuming the target is to be a free agent after 2024 when the cap is going to be...idk maybe $300 million.

Why didn't Mahomes care about 2024? Oh that's right, because he's not only driven by greed he actually wants to win.

Get that greedy man out of here! he's well on his way to become the next Kirk Cousins.

Oh, and take that weasel Tad with you! Lol

JBS

Reaction score
Non exclusive FT is the way to go.

That way everyone can see if Dak is really a 40M a year QB.

There are drawbacks to the non exclusive tag. Big ones. Not being able to select your trade partner is a big problem

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I totally agree, Tag & Bag at this point, I mean Trade at this point. ....ha-haaa! Dak appears to be a good leader on and of the field. He's not out there bad mouthing everyone and asking to be traded because he doesn't have a $100 million plus contract, which is greatly appreciated by Cowboy fans everywhere. Dak came a long when the strength of this team was it's O-Line who protected him and aloud the running game to off set some of Dak's rookie mistakes. Unfortunately for Dak when the O-Line started to show it's wear and tear the loses started to mount and dominating seasons like 2016 are now a thing of the past. Since Dak thinks he's worth millions more in less time than what JJ is offering then it's probably best for both parties that this arrangement come to an end. Trade Dak for whatever can be had, if he returns a first rd pick great! Use one of our 1st rd picks on a QB, then use the rest of the picks on the defense. The money saved on Dak can possibly be used to bring in a couple of O-Linemen who could help the cause.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
No team is going to trade for Dak since they know he’s going to be an unrestricted free agent in a year.