Tag him and trade him

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Diehardblues, Mar 5, 2021.

1. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

28,837 Messages
    22,028 Likes Received
    Can’t wait for his brother and squad to give us their opinion on this matter on Twitter as well and for them to talk about the ‘socio-economic’ agenda of Jerry as the reason why Dak isn’t getting paid what is “rightfully” his. I also can’t wait for Dez’s input on the matter as well.

2. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

35,607 Messages
    20,779 Likes Received
    His career in Dallas not the league. I haven’t read or heard of any local beat writer , sports broadcaster or personality that believes we’d pay the 140% in a 3rd tag. No one in the NFL ever has.

Typhus likes this.
  3. FiveSuperBowls

FiveSuperBowls Well-Known Member

1,017 Messages
    862 Likes Received
    Tag and trade is not a bad idea...

4. khiladi

28,837 Messages
    22,028 Likes Received
    The only thing Dak has going for him from a negotiating standpoint is Jerry has no backup QB option in place. But according to Dak-stans it shouldn’t matter, because the roster is garbage anyways and that’s why we always go 8-8 and it’s not Dak’s fault. So why pay for this QB who only gets them to 8-8. Jerry can’t build anything per this logic, so let Dak walk to a team that has a good GM and they will ‘sail’ to the SB.

5Stars likes this.
  5. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

35,607 Messages
    20,779 Likes Received
    I understand. I didn’t say what I was thinking. I meant to say the average of the top QB’s. That was plural. And I knew it was the top 5. Just didn’t say it that way. Thanks

6. khiladi

28,837 Messages
    22,028 Likes Received
    There is no guarantee the cap is going to go up. There isn’t an infinite money supply and COVID should have taught people that by now. This is probably the main reason why negotiations are slow anyways, although I hope it’s more that Dak isn’t going to be here and Jones says buh-bye.

“With the COVID-19 pandemic wreaking havoc, the expectation has been that the salary cap would fall significantly from 2020's $198.2 million budget. After years of increasing by tens of millions of dollars, the fall is expected to be precipitous. The new floor mitigates some of that decrease.”

“Until the official cap is set, teams won't know exactly how much room they'll have to maneuver through free agency in 2021. At the very least, the new floor gives clubs a starting point to begin making plans ahead of the new league year, which opens on March 17.”

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-increases-minimum-salary-cap-to-180-million-in-2021

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    5Stars and TexasFrog like this.
  7. khiladi

28,837 Messages
    22,028 Likes Received
    Precision rationality has entered the picture. I completely didn’t view the franchise tag from this angle. Coupled with nobody knows what the cap is going to be, other than its most likely dropping significant from last year because of COVID, the whatever is happening in the news is inflated nonsense, unless Jones has completely lost his mind. Dak better worry about rehab and proving he can play again and Jerry can let him “, his brother and squad cry about respect all they want and let Dak follow other teams on social media like the Redskins to posture some more and blow some more hot air.

5Stars likes this.
  8. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆ Zone Supporter

27,024 Messages
    66,780 Likes Received
  9. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

45,707 Messages
    68,103 Likes Received
    Ever see a NFL contract structured like that? There's a reason.

One is with an expiring contract there is leverage there on the part of the player if he continues to play well. Dak is likely to put more cash in his bank account over a 4 year period if he signs a three year deal now and then another three year deal in Year 4 than signing a longer 6-7-8 year deal.

fivetwos likes this.
  10. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

16,321 Messages
    15,464 Likes Received
    What a dummy - everyone knows that it was a Decepticon.

11. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

9,886 Messages
    13,035 Likes Received
    There's also the inconvenient fact that other teams would need to have similar cap space available to even consider it.

12. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Well-Known Member

954 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Your idea is way worse than his on so many levels. Tag and keep him this year while you keep trying to sign him ? Lol.... he knows we won’t be able to afford to tag him for a third year so our only option is to back up the armored car and give him whatever he wants. And he also gets to be a free agent because we can’t tag him again. So he can name his price with us while he wheels and deals with any other team. And the Cowboys get extorted or lose him and get nothing for him. If they can’t reach a deal, tagging and trading him is the only non-stupid thing to do.

13. montgod

montgod Well-Known Member

2,129 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    He's got to sign the tag to be traded so he still has leverage there as well.

HanD likes this.
  14. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

9,886 Messages
    13,035 Likes Received
    The Seahawks did with Walter Jones.

15. Adreme

Adreme Well-Known Member

1,309 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    Everyone always forgets you cant trade him unless he signs the tag which effectively gives him veto power over any trade or he can just wait until after the draft to sign the tag thus rendering any trade moot.

montgod likes this.
  16. montgod

montgod Well-Known Member

2,129 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    what I said above :thumbup:

17. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

30,305 Messages
    5,272 Likes Received
    Jerry has some backup plans, now, whether he wants to exercise them is another thing. Or, he could become again the bumbling fool like he has been and pay The Dak what he wants is the other.

khiladi likes this.
  18. khiladi

28,837 Messages
    22,028 Likes Received
    Have you heard anything regarding back-up Qb scenarios?

5Stars likes this.
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

30,305 Messages
    5,272 Likes Received
    No, keep Dalton and develop the other young guy, save the coin...that's all I got.

khiladi likes this.
  20. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

45,707 Messages
    68,103 Likes Received
    Sure. More than likely any team would have had permission to talk to France and Dak about a long term deal before the trade. You are right, no team would willingly trade for him and then have him play on that 53 million tag.

The reality is if no longer term deal gets done this year, I think he's gone in 2022. They'll probably have to let him walk via FA.