Tagliabue Ruling Today Could Mean The End Of Sean Payton In New Orleans

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RXP;4893079 said:
This is just as speculative as the wishes of Cowboy fans wanting Payton to come to Dallas.

Nobody really knows whats going to happen.
I'm not speculating. I can show you articles reporting they want to do a new deal. I can show you insiders who think there is no way he leaves.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Boys122;4893085 said:
I'm going to start thinking about what image you'll have to put in your sig for an entire month. :D
I wish you best of luck in your search, but I doubt I have to pay that one up.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DBOY3141;4893119 said:
I don't think Payton will wind up in Dallas, but I don't understand why he and the Saints haven't agreed to a new contract.

I know the league didn't like some language in the previous one, but I just think if Payton was truly committed, then they would have knocked this out and ended all speculation.
The number one reason why is because the contract was only recently voided.

Number two reason is the NFL barely gave the Saints permission to meet with his agent. He's suspended. No contact allowed.

They can't risk upsetting the NFL.

crazytown41

Reaction score
Unless Gingerboy goes 0-3 here, I'll be surprised if we land Payton. I pray we do but I doubt it.

tecolote

Reaction score
Joe Rod;4893138 said:
Hey, maybe it is just me, but if my kids live in Dallas and I have the opportunity to be close to my them year round while receiving a pay raise from my old contract to coach a QB that I like so much that I tried to trade for him, I would at least hear the sales pitch.

I think that is huge, at least it would be for me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
tecolote;4893196 said:
I think that is huge, at least it would be for me.

Some of our fans are dismissing that because they like Garrett.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;4893205 said:
Seems only fair. Some fans are dismissing Garrett as remaining here because they dislike him. Jerry and Stephen Jones know less about his remaining here than Dan Patrick.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
I was told there was a 95% certainty he wasn't leaving Nawlins.

I'm shocked....

burmafrd

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;4893156 said:
Where's burm? We need his commentary on this.

Very interesting ruling. Basically saying the players were only following orders.

I thought that defense died at Nuremburg.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
sago1;4893067 said:
And just why in the world would Payton want to coach the Cowboys? Jerry would still be the GM & owner with all the power. Payton would have to negotiate a contract with Jerry which would give him all the power including naming his own GM to run the club. No other way should Payton even consider being associated with the Cowboys.

Payton could double his income if he came to Dallas....

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rumor has it he is getting a divorce; money might become a little more important.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
burmafrd;4893231 said:
Rumor has it he is getting a divorce; money might become a little more important.

Even if we match the Saints I believe he gets 1/2 a mill more just by staying here because of the income tax.

I also heard he doesn't want any part of Bensons daughter being the owner whenever he's gone.

If he signs back i'd bet it's for a very short period.

30yrheel

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4893224 said:
Payton could double his income if he came to Dallas....

and because it's the Cowboys.
still the most relevant nfl team even with the lack of success lately.

burmafrd

Reaction score
CATCH17;4893241 said:
Even if we match the Saints I believe he gets 1/2 a mill more just by staying here because of the income tax.

I also heard he doesn't want any part of Bensons daughter being the owner whenever he's gone.

If he signs back i'd bet it's for a very short period.

Everything I have heard about Benson's - I think it is his grand daughter- says she is a real pill.

But realistically it would look like Benson's has at least a few more years - so not sure how important that really is.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;4893205 said:

I think it's pretty well established that Dallas is the most likely landing spot for Payton if he were to leave New Orleans for a number of reasons, that being one of them. The problem is it's doubtful they'll be an opening for him to make that move.

I would never rule it out. It's Jerry. But the odds aren't good.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'll be pretty shocked if #1 Payton were to leave New Orleans and #2 if he were to wind up in Dallas.

I just don't see either of those things happening, let alone both of them happening.

SWG9

Reaction score
sago1;4893067 said:
And just why in the world would Payton want to coach the Cowboys? Jerry would still be the GM & owner with all the power. Payton would have to negotiate a contract with Jerry which would give him all the power including naming his own GM to run the club. No other way should Payton even consider being associated with the Cowboys.

Why wouldn't he want to come here? One could easily argue that Dallas is in better shape than the Saints (have you seen THEIR defence? Egad.)

It's a straight win win for a coach like Payton, really.

Jerry would throw him some obscene amount of money at him to come coach Dallas. He gets to be closer to his family. He coaches for 4 years until Romo retires or is completely washed up. If the team wins, he gets all the credit. If the team loses, Jerry gets all the blame.

Either way he gets to ride off into the sunset with an extra 25 million or so.

A similar deal to what Parcells got here, which worked out quite well for him.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
This is just a way for them to put this behind them and move on. The season is basically over now, so they lost the season anyway.