Take a breath

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Me personally? I was shocked at the lack of fire on defense or changes on offense.

The defense was always going to be a question going in and the offense has the exact same coordinator. I think the hoopla over new blood McCarthy had people overlooking things. MM may just have this team turned around in a jiffy .... or in a year or two but things like this are ..... wait for it ..... a process.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He has never regained his form that injury in the bowl game and doesn't want to use that as an excuse but I watched him a lot at ND and he was special, there was talk of some teams trading up to take him 1st overall and many felt he was the best player in college ball....until that injury.

Runny, the kid could fly. He would make a tackle for a loss, get a sack or cover and prevent a completion to a WR on the same drive. He wasn't just a sideline to sideline player, he was a line of scrimmage to the end zone player as well.

They took a chance and then chased that with a 2nd contract and he can be a good LB as long as you can put great ones on the D with him. But if they're counting on him being their best LB, not going to happen.
You would think he would have lost a tick of speed w that injury. Makes full sense.

But this guy just seems to have no instinct whatsoever.

He really looks clueless from a football standpoint out there, and that's mind boggling to me, because something like that shouldnt go on and off....and he has shown flashes of being able to play.

He is a pure enigma and someone we were hoping would be a big part of this defense, but at this point he is a liability and I think they may be a better team if he didnt play.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m reminded of the 3-0 out of the gates last season where Dak and company looked unbeatable and we were off saying SB! As Bill use to say, wait at least until Turkey Day.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Rams had the same challenges.

They were well prepared for the game.

Cant say the same about our team.

no not really , they played at home, no travel, have virtually the same offensive staff and players and run virtually the same schemes etc

also lets point out what you are calling prepared is they had those advantages i listed and won by 3 points after we passed up on an easy Fg to tie and had a huge play called back on a ticky tack OPI on Gallup..that was far more prepared then us losing on the road by 3?

seriously your perspective is flawed by your need to criticize and be right.. sad really

it sux we lost but the drama is unwarranted..

kskboys

Reaction score
It's all about expectations and a lack of respect for the Rams. They've got just as good, better on D, talent as the Cowboys and a damned good HC. Those were two evenly matched teams but some can't accept that.

Accept the blame yourselves if you thought this team was going to come roaring out of the gate. You thought they were better but it's their fault and all of the these coaches and players should be jettisoned?

You whiners need to manage your own expectations and this team has nothing to do with the last 25 years. I get it and understand there needs to be some venting over a loss but that becomes whining by Wednesday.

Hell, if some of you are this whacked out after one game, why do you even follow this team? This is football. The Eagles, Niners, Bucs and Vikings fans were disappointed and probably expected a win too. As fans, we are not owed a damned thing. They played hard but the other team was just a little better, get over yourself.
Rams were 9-7 last year w/ the 7th ranked O and 13th ranked D. They missed the playoffs only because their OLine fell apart.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simple....many of us were hoping for drastic change and all we saw was more of the same.
But was drastic change realistic with a new coaching staff and no OTA's, a very abbreviated training camp, and no preseason games?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They almost cant go 5-11 in this division.
Well , Skins look improved. NY might be only gimmies this year.

Only other gimmy might be Bengals and hopefully Falcons. We could lose all to NFC West and Minn.

That would be 5-11. We could beat the Browns and maybe split with Wash and Phil. That gets us to 8-8.

kskboys

Reaction score
Disappointing game Sunday, no doubt …

And so far on this site we have had calls to bench Dak, fire Kellen Moore and trade Jaylon Smith & D-Law (while there is still a chance!).

And there have been threads started expressing disappointment that Lamb and Zeke didn't do more (even though both had good games - especially Zeke), and some have indicated they have given up on McCarthy and/or the team.

Again, disappointing game, and of course we would like to have seen more changes in the offense, and a more stingy defense, and more from a few players, but let's not get hysterical. It's still just one game, and one that came after a coaching change, no OTAs and a very short training camp with no preseason games to help implement changes.

Maybe the team will suck this year, or maybe pull together and get into the playoffs, or maybe even do well in the playoffs. What's certain though is time will be what tells, not one game.
My disappointment stems from the fact that I expected something different, like renewed energy and discipline. Didn't see that. It didn't look any different from last year. Too soon? Prolly. However, need to see something.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well , Skins look improved. NY might be only gimmies this year.

Did they look improved or I should say looked THAT improved, or was Philly over hyped as usual. Their D did look good after they went down 17-0. And their offense got a few things figured out.
But I am not putting them as the favorites to win the division after one week.

Also, I said for the last several years the Washington's defense were better than believed and can be very good. They too went through injuries I believe.
They will be hard to contend with though from the looks of it. Eagles will be a thorn as usual. NY, they have issues still, agree they seem to be a gimmie at this point.

However with the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants all having OL issues, Football Team can cause havoc for all 3 teams.
We do not play Football Team until week 7 so hopefully our OL is at full strength by then.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did they look improved or I should say looked THAT improved, or was Philly over hyped as usual. Their D did look good after they went down 17-0. And their offense got a few things figured out.
But I am not putting them as the favorites to win the division after one week.

Also, I said for the last several years the Washington's defense were better than believed and can be very good. They too went through injuries I believe.
They will be hard to contend with though from the looks of it. Eagles will be a thorn as usual. NY, they have issues still, agree they seem to be a gimmie at this point.

However with the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants all having OL issues, Football Team can cause havoc for all 3 teams.
We do not play Football Team until week 7 so hopefully our OL is at full strength by then.
Right. Wash defense has been best in the division. They’ve just needed a QB. If they have one they could be legit.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. Wash defense has been best in the division. They’ve just needed a QB. If they have one they could be legit.

Yes with a WR like McLauren, as they still need a top notch RB. And who knows what Haskins will become. They could be dangerous quicker than anyone will realize.
Rivera will get that defense playing even better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My disappointment stems from the fact that I expected something different, like renewed energy and discipline. Didn't see that. It didn't look any different from last year. Too soon? Prolly. However, need to see something.
Yep and see it soon or this could spiral quickly. Injuries are a problem but everyone has to deal with it.

If losing Collins dismantles our OL then our coaching should be held accountable. We were already weak at TE.

Defensively I’m more concerned with losing our best LB’s. Really weak there now with a questionable secondary. Alden was a plus but if we can’t create any havoc or disruption a QB like Ryan and Wilson could have career days.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep and see it soon or this could spiral quickly. Injuries are a problem but everyone has to deal with it.

If losing Collins dismantles our OL then our coaching should be held accountable. We were already weak at TE.

Defensively I’m more concerned with losing our best LB’s. Really weak there now with a questionable secondary. Alden was a plus but if we can’t create any havoc or disruption a QB like Ryan and Wilson could have career days.
It was actually shocking to me in the off seeing people proclaiming Jarwin as an easy upgrade at TE.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes with a WR like McLauren, as they still need a top notch RB. And who knows what Haskins will become. They could be dangerous quicker than anyone will realize.
Rivera will get that defense playing even better.
I was shocked they didn't take one. Several very nice prospects at RB this draft, and all WASH took was a WR to convert.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same here, I wasn't necessarily looking for different results but for it to look different. Hell, the NYG offense looked more different than the Cowboys.

Jipper

Reaction score
They almost cant go 5-11 in this division.

never say never thats just when they surprise you and underachieve...again hope for the best expect the worst and you won’t be disappointed

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Same here, I wasn't necessarily looking for different results but for it to look different. Hell, the NYG offense looked more different than the Cowboys.
At some point with the supporting cast on offense we are going to need to be more objective.... I don’t even want to say it.

But at some point it needs to be discussed if this continues. Jimmy Johnson touched on it with his analysis Monday.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was actually shocking to me in the off seeing people proclaiming Jarwin as an easy upgrade at TE.
I didn't find that shocking at all, at least not as a receiver. He is clearly faster and more agile than Witten, and he has had a strong catch %. If Witten were still in his prime it would be different.