Take a breath

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My disappointment stems from the fact that I expected something different, like renewed energy and discipline. Didn't see that. It didn't look any different from last year. Too soon? Prolly. However, need to see something.
This I understand, but even with that I think we have to give it time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This I understand, but even with that I think we have to give it time.
We haven't seen McC's O, this is Moore's. I don't know how much of that we are going to see but that wasn't a WCO derivative in LA.

I was expecting more of a vertical passing game, if not down the field at least with the receivers headed in that direction.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We haven't seen McC's O, this is Moore's. I don't know how much of that we are going to see but that wasn't a WCO derivative in LA.

I was expecting more of a vertical passing game, if not down the field at least with the receivers headed in that direction.
I was definitely disappointed we didn't see a little more aggressiveness in the passing game. Wasn't expecting an aerial onslaught, but at least a few opportune shots. And no play action?

fivetwos

Reaction score

And what is Moores offense? Some version of Garrett and Linehans, yes?

I think the alleged "overreaction" around here is based much more on seeing the same old thing, which we didnt at all expect, vs the loss itself.

It is for me anyway.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Disappointing game Sunday, no doubt …

And so far on this site we have had calls to bench Dak, fire Kellen Moore and trade Jaylon Smith & D-Law (while there is still a chance!).

And there have been threads started expressing disappointment that Lamb and Zeke didn't do more (even though both had good games - especially Zeke), and some have indicated they have given up on McCarthy and/or the team.

Again, disappointing game, and of course we would like to have seen more changes in the offense, and a more stingy defense, and more from a few players, but let's not get hysterical. It's still just one game, and one that came after a coaching change, no OTAs and a very short training camp with no preseason games to help implement changes.

Maybe the team will suck this year, or maybe pull together and get into the playoffs, or maybe even do well in the playoffs. What's certain though is time will be what tells, not one game.
Thank you! People just cray cray sometimes.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yeah this place seemed worse than usual.

Improve upon the Rams game.

Win Sunday, and my thoughts will be the same, give it a few more games, improve upon what you did in the Atlanta game.
Though the defense is still a big concern. With the injuries and lack of depth as well as the OL. But will see the adjustments. It will still take a few more games.

I think this game will be a shoot out.

You sort of touched on my thoughts - I just think there are too many holes in the roster to have high expectations. Where are the Cowboys among the NFL's elite?

Secondary? No
Tight ends? Hardly
Offensive line? Only 2 of the 5 starters from 2016 played on Sunday - looked like it, too.
DTs? LBs? Still soft in the middle.

Running backs, wide receivers, and defensive ends - and a good but not great QB - will only take a team so far.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Disappointing game Sunday, no doubt …

And so far on this site we have had calls to bench Dak, fire Kellen Moore and trade Jaylon Smith & D-Law (while there is still a chance!).

And there have been threads started expressing disappointment that Lamb and Zeke didn't do more (even though both had good games - especially Zeke), and some have indicated they have given up on McCarthy and/or the team.

Again, disappointing game, and of course we would like to have seen more changes in the offense, and a more stingy defense, and more from a few players, but let's not get hysterical. It's still just one game, and one that came after a coaching change, no OTAs and a very short training camp with no preseason games to help implement changes.

Maybe the team will suck this year, or maybe pull together and get into the playoffs, or maybe even do well in the playoffs. What's certain though is time will be what tells, not one game.
Yep! Zoom meetings do not equate to OTA’s and player development. It’s a new head coach, new assistants, with a lost offseason with only a tempered TC and no preseason.

I’m willing to let the first 8 games come to pass before dropping the curtain on this season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was shocked they didn't take one. Several very nice prospects at RB this draft, and all WASH took was a WR to convert.

I think at the time they had Guice, then they released him for what he did.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He clearly isn't an inside LB in my mind. I think he can play outside, but if he has to fight through traffic in the middle he either backs away from the contact and gives up yardage trying to go around the blockers, or he takes the contact and gets pushed away from the play. He is not a strong anchor in the mddle.
There was even one play during which the runner was squirting up through the middle, and Jaylon seemed to be waiting off to the side for someone else to hit him first. That doesn't seem like him, so I'm assuming he just didn't recognize what was going on at first, but watching that game I can see why some would make that claim.

fivetwos

Reaction score
But was drastic change realistic with a new coaching staff and no OTA's, a very abbreviated training camp, and no preseason games?
I thought the defense would be better.

I thought we would see them play as a unit with some fire and speed.

Looking back I really dont know why. Was just hoping.

That's typical of every offseason w this team, then they let us down one way or another.

It almost like they read their own headlines and when they are picked to be good, the get complacent and underachieve.

They play better when they arent picked to do much.

That's all on culture and coaching and that seems to have not changed much.

Theres not much hope if it hasn't.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the defense would be better.

I thought we would see them play as a unit with some fire and speed.

Looking back I really dont know why. Was just hoping.

That's typical of every offseason w this team, then they let us down one way or another.

It almost like they read their own headlines and when they are picked to be good, the get complacent and underachieve.

They play better when they arent picked to do much.

That's all on culture and coaching and that seems to have not changed much.

Theres not much hope if it hasn't.
I get the disappointment, but this all ignored the issue set out in what you quoted though. With new coaches and very limited practice time and no preseason, maybe drastic change in game 1 was an unrealistic expectation. Time will tell.

GenoT

Reaction score
IMHO, pretty much all of us drank our own Kool-Aid, along with some cornbread from the talking heads, and figured that we’d see a super offense and at least an improved defense.

After MM was hired, it seemed like he was supposed to sprinkle some fairy dust on the team and we’d immediately be on our way to a SB title. That wasn’t the case, and now we have the heavy doom-and-gloom “fire everybody” threads.

We set ourselves up to be disappointed.

J_Allen

Reaction score
He's not seen his first dime from me and I've got the time. You think you deserve a win because you invest money or time?

I think the fans deserve a good product on the field. The reason we haven't had that for most of the last 25 years is because of fans like you.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You sort of touched on my thoughts - I just think there are too many holes in the roster to have high expectations. Where are the Cowboys among the NFL's elite?

Secondary? No
Tight ends? Hardly
Offensive line? Only 2 of the 5 starters from 2016 played on Sunday - looked like it, too.
DTs? LBs? Still soft in the middle.

Running backs, wide receivers, and defensive ends - and a good but not great QB - will only take a team so far.

No, no - you have it wrong. This team is "loaded" with talent, don't ya know? That's what the "experts" say, and of course we have to agree with them, right?

Or at least according to some here, but I'm more in line with you. Some people expect the Dallas Cowboys to be "loaded" with talent, or at least hope they are. Of course to some if we ONLY had Rodgers, or Mahomes, or Brees or even Wentz, well, this team would be winning SBs right and left.

Lots of opinions around here, each as valid as the other, at least in my view...

pitt33

Reaction score
I don't prepare for anything. I believe there is a reason they play games, and even if odds are long the underdog will sometimes play well and win. I couldn't imagine being a sports fan and being prepared to give up on a season before it barely starts, That's contrary to the very purpose and nature of athletic competition, which, at it's core, is the effort to overcome obstacles and opposition. If a person doesn't believe in that, what's the point of being a sports fan? And, realistically, I don't see long odds in upcoming games. I just see some tough opponents, but ones we should be able to compete with.
Look it, everyone here appreciates the optimism you share. But just one game in this start has an all too familiar feel to it. It was a very abbreviated start to the season for every team in the NFL. But there was also a very strong indication that many teams came out of the gate ready to go. The Cowboys were not one of those teams. And new coaching staff or not, what appears to be clearly lacking with the Cowboys is sheer talent at several positions.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I get the disappointment, but this all ignored the issue set out in what you quoted though. With new coaches and very limited practice time and no preseason, maybe drastic change in game 1 was an unrealistic expectation. Time will tell.
Maybe.

I'm just sick of being outcoached.

That's probably still going to happen. Just especially sucked to see it in game one after hoping for different.

It really looked like a Garrett team in many ways.

As the week rolls on, I'm realizing it pretty much still is.

Some guys we are counting on may not be able to shake what they are used to....prep wise and intensity wise.

It may take years of turning over the roster to change that. Even then it's not a guarantee since it's more than likely a culture/Jerry problem...and he would be fine losing for the next decade before giving up the reigns....and the fans and media will let him get away with it and he knows it.

Players getting fired up to play and looking like it isnt something that the limited camp got in the way of.

JayFord

Reaction score
It is one game out of 16

This teams mentality has always been their back against the wall they come out swinging

They dont do well starting off good because then you get the crap fest of last year

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look it, everyone here appreciates the optimism you share. But just one game in this start has an all too familiar feel to it. It was a very abbreviated start to the season for every team in the NFL. But there was also a very strong indication that many teams came out of the gate ready to go. The Cowboys were not one of those teams. And new coaching staff or not, what appears to be clearly lacking with the Cowboys is sheer talent at several positions.
I understand it had a familiar feel, and as I said, I found it disappointing too, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a first game under a new coaching staff that didn't have the benefit of OTA's, a full training camp or preseason games to implement the changes they might like or to get everything on the same page. If it stays this way for a month there will be plenty of time to reflect and worry and complain, and I will be right there with those complaining if it continues to look like this, but one game does not represent a real chance for change, especially given the circumstances I mentioned. .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe.

I'm just sick of being outcoached.

That's probably still going to happen. Just especially sucked to see it in game one after hoping for different.

It really looked like a Garrett team in many ways.

As the week rolls on, I'm realizing it pretty much still is.

Some guys we are counting on may not be able to shake what they are used to....prep wise and intensity wise.

It may take years of turning over the roster to change that. Even then it's not a guarantee since it's more than likely a culture/Jerry problem...and he would be fine losing for the next decade before giving up the reigns....and the fans and media will let him get away with it and he knows it.

Players getting fired up to play and looking like it isnt something that the limited camp got in the way of.
Trust me, I get being sick of seeing the kind of game we did. If this continues for the next several games I will be right there complaining myself.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the fans deserve a good product on the field. The reason we haven't had that for most of the last 25 years is because of fans like you.
Fans deserve nothing, they choose to be a fan. If you feel your team is not delivering a good product on the field, you have other options.

You are exactly wrong about fans like me because we've done nothing in approval of the last 25 years. How does a fan that doesn't financially support this team bring about the last 25 years?

Is it not those that give it their stamp of approval by laying their money down the ones that perpetuate this? How many home sellouts the last 25 years? What franchise leads in merch sales?

Stick around, you'll see it. A poster will rail at Booger, coaches, players and the next day they're posting about coming in for a game. That's like having a relative with a drinking problem and complaining about it while buying their drinks.