Take aways, or stopping the run?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Will that focus be so heavy this off season/season on stopping the run, that we focus less on creating turnovers? We've been great at getting turnovers the last several years, but stopping the run takes precedent! Please give your thoughts

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Stopping the run is more important as long as the team isn’t generating like zero turnovers. The amount of turnovers we generated the last few was likely to slow down some just by the law of averages and will most definitely now with a scheme change. The good news is we do have guys that instinctively know how to get takeaways.

That said gimme a fundamentally sound defense that can consistently stop the run and make a team one dimensional and I’ll live with much less takeaways.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I honestly don’t care about stopping the run..

You want to stop the run? Put points up.
It's true. The reality is your offense dictates your defense, but also vice-versa.
If the O can't contain then we're talking D adjustments and it goes the other direction too.

That's what makes this game so fascinating if you pay attention to all of it and how it flows.

So to answer the OP's posit: It depends on the team you're playing against and how you think your O is going to go.
And if you're wrong, can you adjust?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Lions ran for 182 on niners. I've already said a million times what the issue is on defense but people are stubborn.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Will that focus be so heavy this off season/season on stopping the run, that we focus less on creating turnovers? We've been great at getting turnovers the last several years, but stopping the run takes precedent! Please give your thoughts
If you stop the run you should generate more opportunities for turnovers by putting the opposing team in passing situations.

If they can run, you’re on your heels and their playbook is wide open. Look at the Cowboys games this year. If they could run and we weren’t leading, we were in trouble.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Stopping the run, will eventually open up more opportunities for turnovers down the field.

Draft a few linebackers, and sign some more in FA.

As for the middle of the Dline. It will have to be through trade or FA, as people here have shown no desire to draft that way.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Stopping the run vs. creating turnovers in order to get the ball back........hmmmm, you are lucky if you can get a couple or three turnovers in a game.., stopping the run you can get the ball back more consistently with 3 and outs.. and forcing punts or FG A LOT more than three times in a game. So i would rather have a tough defense who can get off the field consistently than one that relies on turnovers to get the ball back. Turnovers will also still come unforced because seldom do offenses play mistake free football. And not even mentioning TOP advantage. STOP THE FREAKING RUN....hands down.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's true. The reality is your offense dictates your defense, but also vice-versa.
If the O can't contain then we're talking D adjustments and it goes the other direction too.

That's what makes this game so fascinating if you pay attention to all of it and how it flows.

So to answer the OP's posit: It depends on the team you're playing against and how you think your O is going to go.

I think one of the most overlooked injuries we had was Leighton Vander Esch.

People think he’s terrible but the guy is a huge presence on the field.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you can't stop the run, nothing else matters.

kskboys

Reaction score
Stopping the run, will eventually open up more opportunities for turnovers down the field.

Draft a few linebackers, and sign some more in FA.

As for the middle of the Dline. It will have to be through trade or FA, as people here have shown no desire to draft that way.
If you replace "desire" w/ "ability" I agree 100%!!!!

1942willys

Reaction score
If you replace "desire" w/ "ability" I agree 100%!!!!
To an extent I agree; but I also think that the overall contempt for DTs that Jerry has shown over the years ends up making them desperate and they reached for Mazi

kskboys

Reaction score
To an extent I agree; but I also think that the overall contempt for DTs that Jerry has shown over the years ends up making them desperate and they reached for Mazi
Which shows the lack of ability to understand what makes a good NFL DT.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the idea of stopping the run means turning the opposing offense into a one dimensional offense then you can get pressure and turnovers when they have to throw the football.

When a team can run, like they do against Dallas, it really makes it difficult for the defense. Play action passes are more successful and it puts them in a lot of 3rd and short situations. GB punted 1 in the first 3 quarters of their game against Dallas. The Cowboys had no answers.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Excellent post!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the idea of stopping the run means turning the opposing offense into a one dimensional offense then you can get pressure and turnovers when they have to throw the football.

When a team can run, like they do against Dallas, it really makes it difficult for the defense. Play action passes are more successful and it puts them in a lot of 3rd and short situations. GB punted 1 in the first 3 quarters of their game against Dallas. The Cowboys had no answers.
Because we lacked the personnel to answer.