Take aways, or stopping the run?

Aven8

Reaction score
I want them to be like Baltimore’s D and do both.

Btw Bland and Diggs aren’t taught to get int’s, they are just natural ball hawks. It doesn’t matter who the DC is they will continue to attack the ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
I want them to be like Baltimore’s D and do both.

Btw Bland and Diggs aren’t taught to get int’s, they are just natural ball hawks. It doesn’t matter who the DC is they will continue to attack the ball.
To do both, you must first be able to stop the run, or you will never get a chance for the TOs.

Aven8

Reaction score
To do both, you must first be able to stop the run, or you will never get a chance for the TOs.
And that’s why I have been clamoring around here for LB’s for like 5 years straight. I want a Warner or Roquan MLB. Remember how much this D changed with just Rolondo? It was night and day difference.

kskboys

Reaction score
And that’s why I have been clamoring around here for LB’s for like 5 years straight. I want a Warner or Roquan MLB. Remember how much this D changed with just Rolondo? It was night and day difference.
And back in 09, it was Kieth Brooking, who came in as a FA and completely changed our D. Too bad we had Wade Curlupinaballandcry in charge of the D. Favre makes one play, and Wade called off the dawgs and went into some coverage mode crapp. Which Favre proceeded to tear apart, of course.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I honestly don’t care about stopping the run..

You want to stop the run? Put points up.
That’s a ridiculous comment. :rolleyes: The Cowboys will never go anywhere if they continue struggling against the run. No team can put up 35+ every week, especially against a contender to try and force them to abandon the run. If your run defense is weak it will catch up with you in the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score
That’s a ridiculous comment. :rolleyes: The Cowboys will never go anywhere if they continue struggling against the run. No team can put up 35+ every week, especially against a contender to try and force them to abandon the run. If your run defense is weak it will catch up with you in the playoffs.
Well said.

The teams who simply try to outscore their opponents fail absolutely w/o a D. The only year the Greatest Show on Turf won it was 1999, when their D was 4th in the NFL.

Big_D

Reaction score
Stopping the run is a fundamental part of football and quality defense and generating turnovers starts with handling the LOS. The turnovers the past few years were nice but they were also completely empty when offenses know they can run all over you.

kskboys

Reaction score
Stopping the run is a fundamental part of football and quality defense and generating turnovers starts with handling the LOS. The turnovers the past few years were nice but they were also completely empty when offenses know they can run all over you.
Yeah, that might work when playing the Gnats, but the Niners just laugh at you as they stomp on you running on by.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You've seen takeovers without stopping the run.

Think about the playff losses. 49ers and Packers ran the ball down their throat.

If you stop the run, teams will have to get one dimensional and bad decisions ensue.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeah, that might work when playing the Gnats, but the Niners just laugh at you as they stomp on you running on by.
That’s the only time it works.. when playing crap teams who are usually down a few scores. Not legit offenses that you have absolutely no answers for. They seem to look lost every time they’re in that situation.

Big D

Reaction score
I honestly don’t care about stopping the run..

You want to stop the run? Put points up.
Then you get 250 yds put up on you. Your offense rarely sees the field to put the the points you need. When they are on the field, pressure and mistakes are magnified while you're forced into a one dimensional offense that stands no chance vs a good playoff defense. But you can cry about the qb more so all good!

sbark

Reaction score
Does Zimmer forego the 3teck....constant up the field Dl
Or does he go with 2 Dline that protect LB at least more often
I think that’s his history.

Be able to control the run constantly......stop the run at critical times
Have the personnel to be able to adjust.....something Quinn wasn’t given.

Could’ve Quinn played both DT nose up to help the LB, put Micah at MLB, OSA wasn’t getting to QB anyway....at least on clear run downs
Quinn had options.....was in shock as much as Dak

conner01

Reaction score
If you stop the run you should generate more opportunities for turnovers by putting the opposing team in passing situations.

If they can run, you’re on your heels and their playbook is wide open. Look at the Cowboys games this year. If they could run and we weren’t leading, we were in trouble.
Exactly. There is no reason you can’t do both. If you keep a team in 3rd and long all day

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
Maybe things changed since I played Football, tackle the one with the ball, what happened?? You gotta stop the run game and get the QB...

visionary

Reaction score
Will that focus be so heavy this off season/season on stopping the run, that we focus less on creating turnovers? We've been great at getting turnovers the last several years, but stopping the run takes precedent! Please give your thoughts
The biggest predictor of victory is TOs so that would be the obvious answer but it is not the correct answer

TOs are unpredictable
Stopping the run is predictable

Think of it like Emmitt vs Barry
Pure talent? Barry was better
Better RB to win a SB? Emmitt hands down

Defense is about discipline, gap control, tackling and physicality (of course talent)

A defense that relies in TOs is very hit or miss and will not win you a SB. A team that stops the run and imposes its will is consistent and much better

The Cowboys this year were a great example. The TOs dried up against the top teams and we crumbled

bigE79

Reaction score
Stopping the run is a must,look how the good teams played us for example,stop our run game and force us to pass which leads to turnovers... football 101.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Then you get 250 yds put up on you. Your offense rarely sees the field to put the the points you need. When they are on the field, pressure and mistakes are magnified while you're forced into a one dimensional offense that stands no chance vs a good playoff defense. But you can cry about the qb more so all good!
Makes you wonder why the entire league evolved to my way of thinking.

But please.. Ignore all the rule changes and how todays game is played.