Take aways, or stopping the run?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pollard is mediocre and you were wrong as usual

You cant learn football so i wont ask for the impossible
Learn football so we can discuss things properly instead of blaming the effect and not the cause.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Stop the run, force passing situations which plays into the strength of the defense...which leads to more turnovers.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
And that’s why I have been clamoring around here for LB’s for like 5 years straight. I want a Warner or Roquan MLB. Remember how much this D changed with just Rolondo? It was night and day difference.
Wagner has been the guy a couple of offseasons in a row. Connections to Quinn, but nothing. I don't understand this team.

visionary

Reaction score
Learn football so we can discuss things properly instead of blaming the effect and not the cause.
LOL
You made idiotic statements about how great Pollard would be
Now you get to wear them

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL
You made idiotic statements about how great Pollard would be
Now you get to wear them
Dude snapped his leg and played behind a line that couldn’t run block.

What’s idiotic is the way you think.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Stopping the run is more important as long as the team isn’t generating like zero turnovers. The amount of turnovers we generated the last few was likely to slow down some just by the law of averages and will most definitely now with a scheme change. The good news is we do have guys that instinctively know how to get takeaways.

That said gimme a fundamentally sound defense that can consistently stop the run and make a team one dimensional and I’ll live with much less takeaways.
Good points

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you can't stop the run, nothing else matters.
We held the Niners to 19 and 23 points stopped their run and the talent-packed offense and lost both playoff games.
You do know that the team that scores the MOST points wins........... right? o_O

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Will that focus be so heavy this off season/season on stopping the run, that we focus less on creating turnovers? We've been great at getting turnovers the last several years, but stopping the run takes precedent! Please give your thoughts

Till it happens we aren’t winning anything. You would have thought the Rams PO would have started this process years ago.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Tell me I'll listen
We don't have war ready defenders. Niners got smacked up by Detroit but it's a war......it happens. They kept fighting bec they realize what it is. Dallas d is full of cowards that's why when we get down alot it's basically over. Defense retreats. I keep saying if we sign dj reader or grover stewart.....cj Gardner and Patrick queen the defense would look totally different come playoff time. And football Kevin Durant can just Rush the passer and pretend he's the reason the defense looks different

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
The Cowboys game is to race out to an early lead - in which case the opponent doesn’t have the time to run the ball. Stopping the run only becomes important when you’re in a tight game or trailing.

How many winners do the Pokes have on their schedules next sesdon?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We don't have war ready defenders. Niners got smacked up by Detroit but it's a war......it happens. They kept fighting bec they realize what it is. Dallas d is full of cowards that's why when we get down alot it's basically over. Defense retreats. I keep saying if we sign dj reader or grover stewart.....cj Gardner and Patrick queen the defense would look totally different come playoff time. And football Kevin Durant can just Rush the passer and pretend he's the reason the defense looks different
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool lol lol totally agree with this!!!!!!!!!!

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I honestly don’t care about stopping the run..

You want to stop the run? Put points up.
But those games you can't put points up, you have to be able to stop the run. Against good teams, you're not going to hang 40 on them and not always going to get a 14 point lead right out of the gate.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Will that focus be so heavy this off season/season on stopping the run, that we focus less on creating turnovers? We've been great at getting turnovers the last several years, but stopping the run takes precedent! Please give your thoughts
stop the run. every time. take aways are good, but unpredictable. you want something to lean on. and if you stop the run, put the other team in long situations, then they become predictable and often turnovers follow

MyFairLady

Reaction score
IMHO stopping the run is mostly about attitude and effort. You gotta make it a priority and you gotta want to do it. Nobody on the Dallas Cowboys cares about this. No one from the GM to the DC to the players.

kskboys

Reaction score
IMHO stopping the run is mostly about attitude and effort. You gotta make it a priority and you gotta want to do it. Nobody on the Dallas Cowboys cares about this. No one from the GM to the DC to the players.
OK, but you must first have the personnel.

Think about it, we have S's playing LB who have great attitudes and put in great effort. They cannot stop the run simply because they are too small for the position.

I completely disagree that the players don't care about it. They're just not capable.