Tale of the tape: Jaylon Smith "Long Arm"

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Sturm's very thorough and meticulous break down on Jaylon's 2017 season (for those of you with a sub to The Athletic)

Addresses his supposed better play as the season wore on, and how much of a fallacy that narrative is when dissecting his play.

His argument, which I agree with. Sorry. Have hope for the boy, and I am not some "hater" of Jaylon. I have enough posts in this thread that specifically state my opinion of him, and to do so further is just regurgitating what I've already said.

So here's Sturm, who's pretty much universally agreed on as a non-hack who knows his **** when it comes to football and our Boys, and never shoots from the hip:

https://***BLOCKED***/304698/2018/0...-cowboys-need-a-top-linebacker-in-this-draft/

"I have heard a narrative take life over the last few months. It is the idea that Jaylon Smith got considerably better as the season went along. Now, I may be suggesting a clarification of semantics more than anything here, but I think it is important for us to say a few things on behalf of the Jaylon enthusiasts that are all true.

1. Jaylon Smith played in 16 games this season and that is no small achievement, considering what he had to do to make that happen.
  2. Jaylon Smith finished third on the team in tackles this season (behind Lee and Hitchens) and while tackles are a horrendous way to judge performance, it still counts for something.
  3. Jaylon Smith registered 9.5 splash plays; not bad for a rookie.

All of those three things are true. But I would not necessarily say he got better as the season went along; rather that the team got much better at playing him less and therefore keeping him out of situations where he would be routinely attacked and, unfortunately, roasted.

[...]

You might notice that almost all of these nice plays by Jaylon are “one-direction plays”. He is not stopping and heading in the other direction. When he may maintain his path, he is starting to look solid.

These plays are all positives and should grant some optimism. But the issue isn't whether there are some places to use him. The issue, with Hitchens gone and Lee a year older, is whether he can be a full-time linebacker in 2018 without being routinely targeted by opposing offenses.

And for that, I wanted to show you some very disconcerting things about the final month of the season. Why the final month? Because this was the only time all year that the Cowboys went four straight weeks with everyone available. This is where they showed us their best linebacker group and what role everyone would play when available.

I went through all four games to get a feel for everyone's role. Allow me to show you my findings from the Giants, Raiders, Seahawks, and Eagles games in Weeks 14-17 as the Cowboys made their last-ditch playoff push that ended against Seattle.

[...]

Jaylon Smith: In these four games, he played on a rotation. He usually played the third possession of the game or the first possession of the second quarter. He would play on first and second down. Then, he might play every other series (against the Giants) or every third series (Oakland, Seattle, Philadelphia). He played in every situation in those series, but that was often just 8-12 snaps per half. He was usually subbed in for Hitchens at MIKE and was noticeably less effective. Basically, the Cowboys had benched him but wanted to make sure he still played some."

I cropped a ton of Sturm's GIFs out, and a lot of his analysis -- A TONNE of his 2017 Jaylon analysis (including comprehensive breakdown of how woeful he was in coverage). I can post more if anyone would like. I look up to Sturm due to his encyclopedic knowledge of our franchise and his non-"homer," straight-shooter approach to Cowboys' journalism. Some here, lately, have taken to crapping on him. Maybe he isn't your cup of tea. But I like him.

Still, there's some stuff there for ya, if you want to read it and don't have a sub to The Athletic, re:my previous arguments.

Go Jaylon, keep developing. Go Cowboys :star::starspin:

Last edited:

DiResta

Reaction score
Like when the Rams (and other teams) specifically targeted him or one of the last 4 games where he played roughly 1/3 of the snaps and averaged less than 3 solo tackles a game?

We saw too much of this last year:

MeaslyLimpCrustacean-max-1mb.gif

Not enough of this:

WhoppingNervousBrant-max-1mb.gif
theres no way to know how much playing with dropfoot affected his confidence/aggression
if youre hurt you wont do things the way you will when healthy its not a machine
weve discussed this many times here, he would wait for the guy to come to him instead of committing, i think because he didnt want to get completely shook
better to make the tackle 5 yards down the field than let the guy go for 25 yards
i dont think he forgot to play i think he was thrown into service playing full games with dropfoot

DiResta

Reaction score
Sturm's very thorough and meticulous break down on Jaylon's 2017 season (for those of you with a sub to The Athletic)

Addresses his supposed better play as the season wore on, and how much of a fallacy that narrative is when dissecting his play.

His argument, which I agree with. Sorry. Have hope for the boy, and I am not some "hater" of Jaylon. I have enough posts in this thread that specifically state my opinion of him, and to do so further is just regurgitating what I've already said.

So here's Sturm, who's pretty much universally agreed on as a non-hack who knows his **** when it comes to football and our Boys, and never shoots from the hip:

https://***BLOCKED***/304698/2018/0...-cowboys-need-a-top-linebacker-in-this-draft/
see heres the problem i have with judging him off last year
he was top 3 overall ranked by rivals coming into college, won the Butkus award (twice) and was considered a top 10 overall pick to enter the nfl pre-injury

are we saying he forgot how to play football? or maybe he just was playing at like 60-70%?
now we know he redshirted 2016 and we know there was a real chance he never played again
in 2017 they made him starter at mike with dropfoot and the afo brace. game 2 hes playing 60 snaps -this is literally days after Stephen said 'they wouldnt do that to Jaylon'
he never complained never got down never whined to the media he just kept grinding not only having to play full games but having to run all the practice reps too with Hitchens out plus Lee limited in practices and finally out 6 games
he looked bad, he sometimes looked very good
meanwhile hes had a full offseason, the brace is off maybe for good (which by itself is amazing- i thought he would play but would always wear some type of brace
weve seen him doing short shuttles with no brace we know he is in great shape and as positive as ever

in 12 days they take to the field in pads we will see him cover and hit
Dallas has some of the best linemen in football and a top rb if he shines vs them i think we can bury the 2017 season

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
he was top 3 overall ranked by rivals coming into college, won the Butkus award (twice) and was considered a top 10 overall pick to enter the nfl pre-injury

are we saying he forgot how to play football? or maybe he just was playing at like 60-70%?
now we know he redshirted 2016 and we know there was a real chance he never played again
he started 2017 as a starter at mike with dropfoot and the afo brace. game 2 hes playing 60 snaps
he never complained never got down never whined to the media he just kept grinding not only having to play full games but having to run all the practice reps too with Hitchens out plus Lee limited in practices and finally out 6 games
meanwhile hes had a full offseason, the brace is off maybe for good (which by itself is amazing- i thought he would play but would always wear some type of brace
weve seen him doing short shuttles with no brace we know he is in great shape and as positive as ever

Dallas has some of the best linemen in football and a top rb if he shines vs them i think we can bury the 2017 season

All we have is last year, my brother. I cant wait to see how he responds to his critics and his underwhelming 2017.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith and Sean Lee better stay healthy. Our DTs don't really excite and the LBs are going to be doing a lot of clean-up.

One doesn't think Marinelli sophisticated enough to integrate both actions by the defensive line and linebackers at the same time?

Batman1980

Reaction score
One doesn't think Marinelli sophisticated enough to integrate both actions by the defensive line and linebackers at the same time?

Marinate sucks at adjustments and constantly undervalues the 1T and S positions.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

in 2017 they made him starter at mike with dropfoot and the afo brace. game 2 hes playing 60 snaps -this is literally days after Stephen said 'they wouldnt do that to Jaylon'

It wouldn't be the first time a "can't miss" prospect busts in the NFL. It happens. The narrative that he got better as the year went on is false. He just played a TON less. That's all we have to go on. If he is just a player who plays 1/3 of the snaps going forward, it was a huge mistake to draft him.

Techsass

Reaction score
Can't win every gamble. Maybe he'll put the 2nd round pick on solid ground and we'll stop the boon or bust picks - even if he works out.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Lmao, wasn't the one where he posted GIFs to prove that Jaylon couldn't change direction and they showed that he was cutting perfectly?

NotForLong

Reaction score
NO NO NO

In a perfect Marinelli scheme, the DTs are EXTRAORDINARILY important. His scheme falls apart when he doesn't have a Booger or Sapp.

We are in a black hole right now at 1T. We don't blitz enough, we need pressure from the middle. That is Rod's philosophy

Just NO, Gil
Damn good ol' Booger Mcfarland you are bringing back some memories. Always thought Jimmy should have gone to Tampa instead of Miami. That was a fun team to watch

NotForLong

Reaction score
That’s a fringe opinion with little fact to back it up. In fact in terms of talent acquisition since 2013, the team has been a top 10 front office. If Rod wants a stud 1-tech, he has the voice to get it. He also says he’s looking for 1techs with 3tech abilities, this cancels out many of the top NFL 1techs. There’s a lot more saying that he devalues it than there is saying he really wants one and no one will give it to him
That's not to mention the multiple talented Dt that hgv averaged switched teams through free agency. Players we didn't even give a second look to

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Give our 'rook' linebacker two years in the strength and development program, and they will be biceps incorporated.
Agreed, CC

He needs more than one season to be properly evaluated, only a dimwit reaches an end conclusion on a rookie season.

Unfortunately, it looks like he will be starting the season at SAM, at least, barring LVE flaiming out. And even if LVE is, heavens forbid, a dud, it looks like Jaylon won’t be the mike, still.

If Jaylon explodes in development year two, demonstrates consistent mike-ability in camp and preseason, this could all change, of course. And boy wouldn’t that be fun!

NotForLong

Reaction score
This argument has gotten nowhere in months.

Jaylon sucked early after filling in for Hitchens early in the year. He was juked in the hole, made slow reads, plodded more than a little.

Everyone agrees on this part. I also think that for the most part people accept that he improved as the season went on. By the Atlanta game he was playing noticeably better.

The contention is in how much he improved. Personally, I saw him moving sideline to sideline much better, anticipating runs and routes based on formation, taking on blocks. Many think that position too generous.

Even more contentious is why he improved. There is a crew that insists that his play only improved from reduced snaps.
Thank you that was a very sobering explanation.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Agreed, CC

He needs more than one season to be properly evaluated, only a dimwit reaches an end conclusion on a rookie season.

Unfortunately, it looks like he will be starting the season at SAM, at least, barring LVE flaiming out. And even if LVE is, heavens forbid, a dud, it looks like Jaylon won’t be the mike, still.

If Jaylon explodes in development year two, flashes dominance in camp and preseason, this could all change, of course. And boy wouldn’t that be fun!
Jaylon played the mike in minicamps. The mike and sam positions are not set in stone and they could swap those guys positions on down and distance. Richard has added new blitzes which is a strength of Jaylon's but may be a sam lb role.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Jaylon played the mike in minicamps. The mike and sam positions are not set in stone and they could swap those guys positions on down and distance. Richard has added new blitzes which is a strength of Jaylon's but may be a sam lb role.
Minicamp is a walk through for the players. He needs to at least show something w pads on

Right now LVE is the mike, 88

Jaylon was a stud on certain blitz packages, I’ve never said otherwise, my brother, and agreed re:that and his SAM role

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Minicamp is a walk through for the players. He needs to at least show something w pads on

Right now LVE is the mike, 88
No, really Jaylon was the starting mike. They did draft LVE for that spot potentially but right now LVE is the backup.