Recap: Talkin Cowboys 3/19

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
• Melton deal first yr 3.5-5mil, the remaining 1.5 mil is incentive based.

• Melton understand that he has to produce to get his money in the remaining yrs.

• Broaddus: I watched him in non Marinelli system and it wasnt the same player. He needs Marinelli

• Teams are learning Anthony Spencer is not football ready

• Dallas is good on comunication terms with Jags organization and they have Chicagos former training guy that worked with Melton on his rehab and consulted with him on how he's doing.

• Paying Hatcher all that money to be a 3-4 defensive end is stupid. Clear hatcher went for the money.

• Crawford already at VR working out and running

• If Mike Evans is there at 16, thats the player teams would want to trade up to get. Ravens want a guy like Evans

• Mickey: i was told Orton really is looking at retiring

• Dallas made 4 smart moves with Melton, Weeden, McClain, and Mincey.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
• Dallas made 4 smart moves with Melton, Weeden, McClain, and Mincey.

Thanks for posting.

It's unfortunate the McClain and Mincey signing got short shift around here because of the goings-on with Ware and Hatcher. It was more fun (I guess) to make fun of the signing than to analyze them with without an agenda.

And no... I don't expect either guy to be a world-beater, but I wouldn't be surprised if they played a decent amount of snaps this coming season and contributed more so than many of the bottom-feeders the Cowboys had on the defensive line last season.

Hayden was arguably the worst starting defensive lineman in the NFL last year. If McClain takes his spot... Well the Cowboys can only go "up" in production.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
But can't wait for the comments on this.
I agree though, I think these were good moves so far.

So they were not sexy moves. They were prudent moves. Why be critical of that unless you just want your daily shot at ___________________ (fill in the blank). :D

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

It's unfortunate the McClain and Mincey signing got short shift around here because of the goings-on with Ware and Hatcher. It was more fun (I guess) to make fun of the signing than to analyze them with without an agenda.

And no... I don't expect either guy to be a world-beater, but I wouldn't be surprised if they played a decent amount of snaps this coming season and contributed more so than many of the bottom-feeders the Cowboys had on the defensive line last season.

Hayden was arguably the worst starting defensive lineman in the NFL last year. If McClain takes his spot... Well the Cowboys can only go "up" in production.

Perhaps, but you have to admire his gumption. He was a scrapper!

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

I think it was the timing (early in FA) and the quality of players (role players/back ups). Those signings typically come towards the end of FA. They were cheap so no harm no foul kind've deals. McClain seems to fit at the 1 but his major knock was defending the run so not sure about that one there. Mincey is a good depth signing.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps, but you have to admire his gumption. He was a scrapper!

He is, but he's horrible as a starter. 20 snaps per game? Yeah, I can see that. But having him lead the defense in snaps... Boy.

I get the "Well the Cowboys haven't made up (yet) loss of Ware/Hatcher" but look at the number of snaps given to guys that really didn't help the defense:

Hayden 843
Wynn 280
Wilber (as a DL) 280
Rayford 147
Irvin 119
Jones 74
Vega 46

That's about the equivalent of 2 starters... 2 starters that were really, really awful. You cut the number of snaps going to awful players... even by 50% and you've improve a great deal.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
He is, but he's horrible as a starter. 20 snaps per game? Yeah, I can see that. But having him lead the defense in snaps... Boy.

I get the "Well the Cowboys haven't made up (yet) loss of Ware/Hatcher" but look at the number of snaps given to guys that really didn't help the defense:

Hayden 843
Wynn 280
Wilber (as a DL) 280
Rayford 147
Irvin 119
Jones 74
Vega 46

That's about the equivalent of 2 starters... 2 starters that were really, really awful. You cut the number of snaps going to awful players... even by 50% and you've improve a great deal.

Completely agree.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it was the timing (early in FA) and the quality of players (role players/back ups). Those signings typically come towards the end of FA. They were cheap so no harm no foul kind've deals. McClain seems to fit at the 1 but his major knock was defending the run so not sure about that one there. Mincey is a good depth signing.

Even if McClain was a little soft vs the (and the PFF ratings do not support him being either good or bad vs the run) he's got to be a better overall #1 technique DT than Hayden.

Nick was about equally awful vs the run and the pass.

Again, put a DT out there who ranks say 40th rather than 68th... and you've improved your defense.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Even if McClain was a little soft vs the (and the PFF ratings do not support him being either good or bad vs the run) he's got to be a better overall #1 technique DT than Hayden.

Again, put a DT out there who ranks say 40th rather than 68th... and you've improved your defense.

I'm ok with the signings, I was just pointing out the cause for the board frustration over the two picks. I hear you on Hayden, but the same could be said about just about any DT in the league given a chance to start next season (outproducing Hayden). Again, they just seemed like pickups towards the end of FA. McClain was the plan out of the gate kind've thing?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
What is this about?

And thanks for the summary!

They used their connections with the jags to speak to the trainer with the jags who was formerly emplyed with the bears and worked with Melton in Rehab to get a better perspective then just dr check on how Melton was doing and how he was progressing with his movements.

KDM256

Reaction score
I have no problems with any moves the Cowboys have made thus far inthe offseason.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Word is you cant move McClain on a running play. While he isnt going to get much pressure he stacks up the pile and would allow Lee to get in there and make the stop. McClain will be great for them 3rd and shorts and goalline situations and some rotation duty. 15-18 snaps a game would be great production from him

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Word is you cant move McClain on a running play. While he isnt going to get much pressure he stacks up the pile and would allow Lee to get in there and make the stop. McClain will be great for them 3rd and shorts and goalline situations and some rotation duty. 15-18 snaps a game would be great production from him

I don't know how to view McClain at this point. I guess it will come down to if any additional #1 technique DT's are drafted or signed through FA.

I would think that if McClain had to play 40 snaps a games as the defacto starter in place of Hayden, that he (McClain) would give more overall positive production than Hayden.

I just know that giving Hayden 800+ snaps again this season would not be a very good thing!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I don't know how to view McClain at this point. I guess it will come down to if any additional #1 technique DT's are drafted or signed through FA.

I would think that if McClain had to play 40 snaps a games as the defacto starter in place of Hayden, that he (McClain) would give more overall positive production than Hayden.

I just know that giving Hayden 800+ snaps again this season would not be a very good thing!

Crawford, Bass and McClain are probably going to be the 1techs. Dallas will probably draft another 3tech. I think Hayden gets released at some point