Recap: Talking Cowboys 5-29

BlindFaith

Reaction score
What has Crawford ever done to prove he's "far better" than Selvie? This guy's legend precedes him. He's reaching Matt Johnson status.

Let's put it this way, what has Selvie ever done in the NFL prior to being adequate on one of the worst defenses of all time?

Crawford is quicker, more explosive than Selvie when coming out of college, and was much bigger at the same time.

Selvie has been a backup scrub his entire career until "blossoming" here last year. He is still a backup scrub.

I've seen enough of Crawford and heard enough from those that play with him to get a sense that he is indeed, much better than Selvie.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I hate how some people try to neuter Dez. Dude is cut from a different cloth, stop trying to turn him into a robot.

Dez really doesn't say anything really bad or controversial. He doesn't spout off on politics or hot button issues he just gets a little fired up about himself and the team. I have no problem with it. The guy works hard and prepares for every game and season and is a loyal Cowboy. Plus he has come a long way in his growth and maturity, far more than many his age.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
One of the things that bothers me is these guys are supposed to be professional journalists and they write something like this:

Rowan:It looks good, but I’ll wait to withhold judgment....

I'll sit back and wait for all the "What's wrong with that?" comments.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Let's put it this way, what has Selvie ever done in the NFL prior to being adequate on one of the worst defenses of all time?

Crawford is quicker, more explosive than Selvie when coming out of college, and was much bigger at the same time.

Selvie has been a backup scrub his entire career until "blossoming" here last year. He is still a backup scrub.

I've seen enough of Crawford and heard enough from those that play with him to get a sense that he is indeed, much better than Selvie.

Ok here is the thing... people like to say he was good on an all time bad defense. That's not the issue... the people / offenses that he played against weren't all time bad. The teams he played against were good and he still put up decent numbers.

I'm not taking anything away from Crawford and I'm rooting for him and believe he will be our starting SDE but don't act like Selvie played against scrubs last year. He played on a team of scrubs but he played AGAINST NFL caliber olines.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That's why I said I don't know about Selvie. And yes Bass and Crawford are overall better players. I'm not certain either of them can turn the corner like Selvie. I'm not a huge Selvie fan but he does provide some pass rush.
Bass was playing the 3T last year when he got hurt. The last time he played end was for Rob Ryan in the 3-4.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bass was playing the 3T last year when he got hurt. The last time he played end was for Rob Ryan in the 3-4.

If the weights on the Cowboys website are correct, Bass is one of the bigger DL at 6-5, 294. Hayden and Bishop are the only guys over 300, both listed at 301.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

Thats because we didn't have any real 3T once Ratliff went bonkers. Bass should be playing SDE if we keep him. He is actually a much better fit for a 3-4. I don't think he has the same ability as Hatcher did to play the 3. And I think he's to tall to be an effective 1.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If the weights on the Cowboys website are correct, Bass is one of the bigger DL at 6-5, 294. Hayden and Bishop are the only guys over 300, both listed at 301.

Thats Marinelli's system. Same thing in Chicago, the heaviest guy was Pea and he was 300

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Ok here is the thing... people like to say he was good on an all time bad defense. That's not the issue... the people / offenses that he played against weren't all time bad. The teams he played against were good and he still put up decent numbers.

I'm not taking anything away from Crawford and I'm rooting for him and believe he will be our starting SDE but don't act like Selvie played against scrubs last year. He played on a team of scrubs but he played AGAINST NFL caliber olines.

Didnt Crawford play AGAINST nfl caliber players the yr before? Did very good for a rookie

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Thats because we didn't have any real 3T once Ratliff went bonkers. Bass should be playing SDE if we keep him. He is actually a much better fit for a 3-4. I don't think he has the same ability as Hatcher did to play the 3. And I think he's to tall to be an effective 1.

He may very well get beat out at the 3T by someone like Coleman. But his best fit is the 3T and LE is too crowded as it is right now. It was a lot less crowded there last year when they chose to put him at the 3T and had Crawford at LE.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
He may very well get beat out at the 3T by someone like Coleman. But his best fit is the 3T and LE is too crowded as it is right now. It was a lot less crowded there last year when they chose to put him at the 3T.

Last year we were woefully unequipped to play the 4-3. Our projected starters were Spencer, Hatcher, Ratliff and Ware. We had Crawford, Hayden, Bass and Wilber as the backups. Due to numbers, Bass was forced into playing the 3. Doesn't mean that's where he should stay. He was a defensive end in college so it's not like he couldn't do it. He's not an explosive athlete at all. But he is a good football player with size. That's why I'd try him as the strong side DE. Red Bryant plays the strong side for Seattle and he's 323 lbs. I'm not saying that Bass is Bryant, or even close, but the concept of having Bass at end should be considered for base downs.

The Natural

Reaction score
What has Crawford ever done to prove he's "far better" than Selvie? This guy's legend precedes him. He's reaching Matt Johnson status.

You know what I'm with you here. Say what you want about that horrendous defense last year, Selvie was a hell of a player and I dont think he should be getting written off so easily. No way in hell someone gonna convince me Crawford is better off a 3 game sample.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He may very well get beat out at the 3T by someone like Coleman. But his best fit is the 3T and LE is too crowded as it is right now. It was a lot less crowded there last year when they chose to put him at the 3T and had Crawford at LE.

Competition like that is delicious.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Last year we were woefully unequipped to play the 4-3. Our projected starters were Spencer, Hatcher, Ratliff and Ware. We had Crawford, Hayden, Bass and Wilber as the backups. Due to numbers, Bass was forced into playing the 3. Doesn't mean that's where he should stay. He was a defensive end in college so it's not like he couldn't do it. He's not an explosive athlete at all. But he is a good football player with size. That's why I'd try him as the strong side DE. Red Bryant plays the strong side for Seattle and he's 323 lbs. I'm not saying that Bass is Bryant, or even close, but the concept of having Bass at end should be considered for base downs.
They still chose to put Bass at the 3T and Crawford at LE. They seemed to think that they were better fits at those positions. And the 3T is the more important position.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I know what ur point was. Was agreeing with you. Bass will not be a DE in Dallas. Pea was a 1tech

This was from last year before Bass got hurt. Seems as though, maybe just a little bit, you might be wrong.

“Oh man, I thought he had a really good OTAs, and I think he’s a big, good-looking athlete,” Marinelli said. “He’s a guy who can move. What you try to do is create position flexibility, so he’s worked inside. I like him inside. I’m looking at him at some end.

“For now, he gives you a big 290-pound left end you can use in the run game. You’ve got to be careful with that approach and not give him too many things to do. You want to make him good first and then adjust. This was an opportunity to give him some work and see how he looks out there.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/07/25/5030466/former-texas-am-defensive-lineman.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/07/25/5030466/former-texas-am-defensive-lineman.html

BlindFaith

Reaction score
They still chose to put Bass at the 3T and Crawford at LE. They seemed to think that they were better fits at those positions. And the 3T is the more important position.

Let's be honest here. They were still working through where either of these guys were going to play. Crawford was drafted to be a DE in the 3-4. Bass was here to be a 3-4 DE. So they are both tweeners when it comes to a 4-3. Crawford is much more explosive, but lacks a little bulk to be a full time DT. Bass isn't nearly as explosive, but has the bulk. He's also tall and would get routinely killed as a 1T. He's similar to Hatcher, just not the athlete.

And see above. When Spencer went down last year they moved Bass over to LE. That was after Crawford went out of course.