Tampa Bay Superbowl defense roster Marinelli had

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Why does no one ever talk about the Bears D under Marinelli?

That defense was crazy. Don't even get me started on how underrated Tillman was, probably one of the only guys in the last 15 years that could man up on Calvin Johnson.

Just sayin', it was a lot more recent and relevant. And yeah, they had some big fat fatties at DT, and good production from the 3tech. Melton was good, forget who else.

I think charles Tillman , Brian urlacher and lance Briggs were drafted by the bears before rod got to Chicago.stephen para and Henry Melton were drafted by the bears when rod was dc. I don't think para or Melton did much in their time in Dallas when they cowboys signed them

Aven8

Reaction score
If we are going to build ourself as a defense first team in the mold of Tampa Bay than we need a roster like Tampa Bay.....I dont know how you expect Marinelli to accomplish what he did in Tampa Bay without the right players...

Tampa Bay had TWO pro bowl DT's and a hall of fame Safety...our two weak points

DE Simeon Rice 1st / 3rd pick / 1996
DE Greg Spires 3rd / 83rd pick / 1998
LDT Warren Sapp* 1st / 12th pick / 1995
DT Booger” McFarland 1st / 15th pick / 1999
MLB Shelton Quarles*
LB Derrick Brooks* 1st / 28th pick / 1995
LB Alshermond Singleton 4th / 128th pick / 1997
LCB Brian Kelly 2nd / 45th pick / 1998
RCB Ronde Barber 3rd / 66th pick / 1997
SS John Lynch* 3rd / 82nd pick / 1993
S Dexter Jackson 4th / 113th pick / 1999

Defensive tackles and a REAL safety is what we are missing

Our Sapp is playing for the Rams. Donald. Best DT I’ve seen since Sapp. This defense is predicated on the 3. It’s not good enough right now.

GenoT

Reaction score
If we are going to build ourself as a defense first team in the mold of Tampa Bay than we need a roster like Tampa Bay.....I dont know how you expect Marinelli to accomplish what he did in Tampa Bay without the right players...

MLB Shelton Quarles*

Keep in mind, Marinelli was the D-line coach at Tampa Bay; he was never the Bucs DC.

He did carry the relatively meaningless title of “assistant head coach” for a few years, including their SB season.

kskboys

Reaction score
Our Sapp is playing for the Rams. Donald. Best DT I’ve seen since Sapp. This defense is predicated on the 3. It’s not good enough right now.
Gino Atkins, Mike Daniels, Jurrell Casey, Kyle Williams, Tim Jernigan. There's a few of those short disrupting types around, but we refuse to draft them. For some very odd reason we have this extremely strange belief that all DT's have to be 6-5/280. It's like we're so obsessed w/ a DT being able to get his hands in the passing lanes that we ignore everything else.

SSoup

Reaction score
It has been widely reported that he does not want larger DTs because he wants them to be "rushmen".
McFarland and Sapp weren't large DTs. We need to spend some resources (at least higher mid-round picks) on the DT position someday, but we don't necessarily need to talk ourselves into the idea that we need huge monstrous DTs, like lots of our fans have been claiming. They don't have to be huge.

Also, McFarland averaged less than 3 sacks per season. I know he was a 1st rounder and he's associated with a good Tampa defense so we call him really good... but I honestly think our fans would've called him a bust if we spent a 1st rounder on the production he gave. He wasn't much of a pass rusher. So it's not like the scheme depends on all four of his d-linemen on the field being pass rush freaks.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Marinelli was content with Chris Conte in Chicago and it cost him.

I don't think he has much of a clue about safeties. And I really don't think he has that much of a clue about DT talent either.

He has stuck to his "quick twitch" concepts for years. It is like he is almost trying to prove he can do it without a HoF like Sapp.

We have, by his choice, Maliek Collins playing the prime position, in his area of specialty, and it has got us nowhere.

He should be screaming for what he needs. But no, he's collecting a check, smiling and saying he will make whatever slop he gets work.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I believe that defense would have gotten smoked in today's NFL. These offenses weren't even born yet.
McVay studied.

He knew Dallas' defense plays fast and aggressive.

He just let Dallas over play their game.......the tackles were too invovled in beating the man in front of them, it almost looked they we're friggin dancing, and NOT watching the movement of ball transfer.

The DE's were crashing trying to get to Goff which led to a center and/or two guards to plow over Vandy and Jay.....

Proof is that Dallas' CB's were rarely involved in a legit stop. YARDS down the field. Waiting for the pass, drawing them away, relying on the #5 run defense to take care of business.....

Then they had Woods and Heath as a last line of defense.....love Heath but hustle and want to doesn't make up for being undersized.

JMO of course....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

MLB Shelton Quarles*

And the strange thing is, the positions he valued then, for big time players, he does not value them now.
Time for Rod to go. I been saying for years, this staff needed a big turnover.

They are slowly doing it, but it should have been done all at once a few years back or so.

Skillit

Reaction score
I don’t understand the comments saying that that defense would get toasted today. Really? Show me a defense in the league right now with two Hall of Famer‘s and numerous pro bowlers that is getting toasted.

If you have the talent you can adjust. If you don’t have the talent you have to have coaching. If you have talent and coaching, well, you have the patriots.

Skillit

Reaction score
You can’t blindly compare eras. Teams might not construct defenses the same way now because of rule changes that allow offenses to do what they do now.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Well geeze....look at that roster....any one of us could step out of our day jobs as defensive coordinator for them and rack up 10+ wins.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Gino Atkins, Mike Daniels, Jurrell Casey, Kyle Williams, Tim Jernigan. There's a few of those short disrupting types around, but we refuse to draft them. For some very odd reason we have this extremely strange belief that all DT's have to be 6-5/280. It's like we're so obsessed w/ a DT being able to get his hands in the passing lanes that we ignore everything else.

We don't employ a 3-4 anymore, so drafting a guy built like a nose tackle wouldn't fit the system.

kskboys

Reaction score
McFarland and Sapp weren't large DTs. We need to spend some resources (at least higher mid-round picks) on the DT position someday, but we don't necessarily need to talk ourselves into the idea that we need huge monstrous DTs, like lots of our fans have been claiming. They don't have to be huge.

Also, McFarland averaged less than 3 sacks per season. I know he was a 1st rounder and he's associated with a good Tampa defense so we call him really good... but I honestly think our fans would've called him a bust if we spent a 1st rounder on the production he gave. He wasn't much of a pass rusher. So it's not like the scheme depends on all four of his d-linemen on the field being pass rush freaks.
It's not about weight, it's about leverage. A guy who is too tall will lose the leverage battle in the middle way too often. Unless he weighs 350.

Sap and Booger were both like 6-1/300 or so. They were low built. It's the low build you need in the middle.

Booger was perfect in the middle when he had Sapp next to him. Booger was the rock. However, Gruden took over, and let Sapp walk, and then expected Booger to become a Sapp type player. Very foolish. Booger was the guy next to the disruptor. His sack numbers are irrelevant.

kskboys

Reaction score
We don't employ a 3-4 anymore, so drafting a guy built like a nose tackle wouldn't fit the system.
Absolutely not true. I'm not sure where this little tidbit got started, but it's false. 4-3's also employ NT's.

Danny Shelton plays in NE's 4-3 as the NT and weighs 330. His running mate, the UT(undertackle), Malcolm Brown, weighs 320.

Justin Ellis, OAK, 6-2/335

Brandon Mebane, SD, 6-1/311

Abry Jones, JAX, 6-4/318

Al Woods, INDY, 6-4/330

So, as you can see, your thought that 4-3 D's don't have big NT's is incorrect. Where did this get started anyway? You're not the first one I've heard say this.

kskboys

Reaction score
Marinelli was content with Chris Conte in Chicago and it cost him.

I don't think he has much of a clue about safeties. And I really don't think he has that much of a clue about DT talent either.

He has stuck to his "quick twitch" concepts for years. It is like he is almost trying to prove he can do it without a HoF like Sapp.

We have, by his choice, Maliek Collins playing the prime position, in his area of specialty, and it has got us nowhere.

He should be screaming for what he needs. But no, he's collecting a check, smiling and saying he will make whatever slop he gets work.
It appears that neither Gruden nor Marinate understands why that D was good in TB.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is partly marinelli's own fault.
He chose Tyrone Crawford as his all world 3t and signed off essentially on that contract of his.
He refuses to accept anything other than schlubs on the inside thinking he is some sort of whisperer.

Hadenough

Reaction score

MLB Shelton Quarles*

Even this SB defense would get tired with the offense going 3 and out so much.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This is partly marinelli's own fault.
He chose Tyrone Crawford as his all world 3t and signed off essentially on that contract of his.
He refuses to accept anything other than schlubs on the inside thinking he is some sort of whisperer.
Thats because he once wrestled a bear and now thinks he can do anything!:laugh: