Tampa has released Gerald McCoy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's really a confluence of multiple front office philosophies - too old, too much money (maybe), overrating our current depth chart at a position, McCoy plays DT which is Marinelli's world and Marinelli can turn crap into filet mignon so why bring in a talented guy like McCoy.

Despite having Lawrence last year, this team was still MIDDLE OF THE PACK in terms of sacks and QB pressures. A big reason for that was no consistent interior pressure. You bring in McCoy and you have a chance to have dominant interior pass rushing while having Lawrence and Quinn attacking from the edges. You roll out Lawrence, Quinn, McCoy and Hill or Collins on passing downs? That's an OL problem for sure.

It makes so much sense and is one move that could vault this defense into the Top 3 IMO.

The fact is that while the defensive ends got the job done, the interior pressure didn't. And I'll go back to team charity case Crawford. Every one of his sacks had to be manufactured by scheme. He beat no one by himself. They were all the result of stunts, the same stunts that the Rams figured out and killed us with in the playof. The guy could do nothing on his own. That's not the case with McCoy.

If you sign him, you're significantly better inside today, and don't have to resort to tricking people to overcome lack of talent.

Now if he wants something like 3 years, and $40MM, sure, walk away. But if he's willing to play for a one year type deal like Suh did last year, it's a no brainer.

Yes, if he's all about the money, walk away. But at least take a look and bring him in for a visit. Show legitimate interest.

The rollover cap excuse doesn't fly because rollover money, for all intents and purposes, is really a one year boost to the cap and we have rarely used all our cap in recent years anyway.

I think the cap rollover is valid. That "boost" you're referring to can factor in for more than one year.

But the undeniable fact is that they can easily afford McCoy if they cut their overpaid dead weight in Hurns and Crawford. Cutting both gives you $20 million over the next two seasons, more than enough to pay McCoy for two years.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the cap rollover is valid. That "boost" you're referring to can factor in for more than one year.

But the undeniable fact is that they can easily afford McCoy if they cut their overpaid dead weight in Hurns and Crawford. Cutting both gives you $20 million over the next two seasons, more than enough to pay McCoy for two years.

Only if you are continuing to roll over the cap space year after year.

In other words, if you rollover $10MM in cap space to this year, your cap ceiling goes up $10MM this year. You don't carry that $10MM over to the following year unless you simply don't spend it in the current year. Basically, the rollover should be a nice war chest if a one or two year opportunity presents itself............ like McCoy or you want to front load a big contract and carry a heavy cap number early in a contract (which, admittedly, we could try to do with Zeke or Dak or even Jaylon Smith).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only if you are continuing to roll over the cap space year after year.

You have it to spend whenever you want. In any year.

In other words, if you rollover $10MM in cap space to this year, your cap ceiling goes up $10MM this year. You don't carry that $10MM over to the following year unless you simply don't spend it in the current year. Basically, the rollover should be a nice war chest if a one or two year opportunity presents itself............ like McCoy or you want to front load a big contract and carry a heavy cap number early in a contract (which, admittedly, we could try to do with Zeke or Dak or even Jaylon Smith).

Or you could pay out a $5 million a year contract over two years. Or a $2.5 million deal over 4 years. The point is that you have $10 million to use in any way shape or form you see fit. It isn't confined to any particular year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This question on McCoy was asked in today's Cowboys mailbag:

I know the defense is already one of the best in the league. However, it seems to me that free agent DT Gerald McCoy could be the missing piece to putting this defense over the top. I know they have some big contracts that they need to get done, but is there any cap room left to sign him? - KURT KUNST / COLCHESTER, CT

Bryan: Was told by the cap guys that they are capable of doing one-year deals. They’re a creative group, but the player has to be willing to work with them to make that happen. I am not sure McCoy is there yet.

Rob: They’ve got cap room even though they’re also budgeting for future deals, as you mentioned. It must be noted that the Cowboys have already made an effort to improve the defensive tackle depth and they just spent a second-round pick on Trysten Hill. But I do look at McCoy a little like Robert Quinn, whom the Cowboys traded for in April. He’s a veteran guy who could step in and help a team right away.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-moore-s-oc-debut-is-mccoy-an-option

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So

It is not a position of need and a lot of money for a marginal upgrade

TB just chose Suh over McCoy and we could have done the same

Releasing McCoy then signing Suh seems very odd to me.

McCoy has been a high character player and it's debatable which one has been better on the field. They're about the same age (Suh 1 year older).

I'm curious to see Suh's contract.

It seems like a move by a new Head Coach to show that he is in charge (remember Parcells intentionally showing up Larry Allen by failing him on conditioning testing).

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This question on McCoy was asked in today's Cowboys mailbag:

I know the defense is already one of the best in the league. However, it seems to me that free agent DT Gerald McCoy could be the missing piece to putting this defense over the top. I know they have some big contracts that they need to get done, but is there any cap room left to sign him? - KURT KUNST / COLCHESTER, CT

Bryan: Was told by the cap guys that they are capable of doing one-year deals. They’re a creative group, but the player has to be willing to work with them to make that happen. I am not sure McCoy is there yet.

Rob: They’ve got cap room even though they’re also budgeting for future deals, as you mentioned. It must be noted that the Cowboys have already made an effort to improve the defensive tackle depth and they just spent a second-round pick on Trysten Hill. But I do look at McCoy a little like Robert Quinn, whom the Cowboys traded for in April. He’s a veteran guy who could step in and help a team right away.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-moore-s-oc-debut-is-mccoy-an-option
Man cut ty craw and hurns and the money is right there. If trysten hill is the guy they think he is. On passing downs to rush the passer you could have mccoy and hill/collins next to quinn and d law. that's a pass rush

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Releasing McCoy then signing Suh seems very odd to me.

McCoy has been a high character player and it's debatable which one has been better on the field. They're about the same age (Suh 1 year older).

I'm curious to see Suh's contract.

It seems like a move by a new Head Coach to show that he is in charge (remember Parcells intentionally showing up Larry Allen by failing him on conditioning testing).

The only explanation I can guess is that Suh was willing to take less than McCoy was. And Suh is clearly only about the money, because going to Tampa Bay means he's guaranteed not to compete for a Championship.

And if that's the case, there's little chance talking about McCoy playing for the Cowboys, because that means he's out for even more money than Suh was..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man cut ty craw and hurns and the money is right there. If trysten hill is the guy they think he is. On passing downs to rush the passer you could have mccoy and hill/collins next to quinn and d law. that's a pass rush

It's also maximizing your cap money. McCoy is better than Crawford falling out of bed in the morning, and Hurns is nothing more than a progress stopper who's presence would force you to cut a young, developing receiver.

You really want to "go for it" in 2019? Dump the dead weight and improve your interior defensive line by a huge margin.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The only explanation I can guess is that Suh was willing to take less than McCoy was. And Suh is clearly only about the money, because going to Tampa Bay means he's guaranteed not to compete for a Championship.

And if that's the case, there's little chance talking about McCoy playing for the Cowboys, because that means he's out for even more money than Suh was..
He's not going to get the same amount of money that TB was already on the hook for on his contract.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It's also maximizing your cap money. McCoy is better than Crawford falling out of bed in the morning, and Hurns is nothing more than a progress stopper who's presence would force you to cut a young, developing receiver.

You really want to "go for it" in 2019? Dump the dead weight and improve your interior defensive line by a huge margin.
Man I listened to mickey yesterday talk about Mccoy and it irritated me so bad. He's like he's only 6 sacks last season. meanwhile they will ride ty craw's jock strap and he had a career high 5.5 sacks last year lol while mccoy played less games. I feel like the Jones' feed him crap to spew on the shows I swear. Him and Nick eatman

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not going to get the same amount of money that TB was already on the hook for on his contract.

I sure wouldn't think so. If someone was willing, they would have just trade something - anything - for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man I listened to mickey yesterday talk about Mccoy and it irritated me so bad. He's like he's only 6 sacks last season. meanwhile they will ride ty craw's jock strap and he had a career high 5.5 sacks last year lol while mccoy played less games. I feel like the Jones' feed him crap to spew on the shows I swear. Him and Nick eatman

"Listening to Mickey" was your first mistake.

But I've found that he's "Bizarro commentator", whatever he says, the opposite is the right thing.

He's a total moron. Listen to the show from the week before, where the entire rest of the panel laughed at him, that's what he is, a joke.

Sydla

Reaction score

Mickey is a dolt. If he doesn't think McCoy is an upgrade on what we have, it's just more proof he's a homer toting the company line. You know if the Cowboys did go out and sign him, he'd change his tune in a hot minute talking about how brilliant the move was.

Someone posted earlier he had one of the top pressure rates for a DT last year. Not one of our DTs were in the same range.

Sydla

Reaction score
I sure wouldn't think so. If someone was willing, they would have just trade something - anything - for him.

Yeah. I am curious to see what Suh gets. Ansah signed in Seattle for less than what Detroit had paid him under the tag in 2018. I suspect McCoy will also end up playing for a number less than the $13MM or so he was due in Tampa this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. I am curious to see what Suh gets. Ansah signed in Seattle for less than what Detroit had paid him under the tag in 2018. I suspect McCoy will also end up playing for a number less than the $13MM or so he was due in Tampa this year.

My guess is that McCoy can get $8 - $10 a year. By that I mean you might get him for one year at $10 million and two years at $16 million or $8 million per with some guarantees in there.

But like you, I'm very curious to know what Suh got.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

McCoy was already under contract. There's no way to know what kind of money he will be seeking.

Agents generally advise players to force a team to cut them over volunteering for a pay cut. They can always offer to re-sign for less after being cut if they really want to take a pay cut to stay. Regardless, it doesn't appear that the Bucs asked McCoy to take a pay cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCoy was already under contract.

Right. At a cost that was clearly more than Tamp wanted to pay.

There's no way to know what kind of money he will be seeking.

Not before he signs somewhere. Or it's leaked, no.

Agents generally advise players to force a team to cut them over volunteering for a pay cut. They can always offer to re-sign for less after being cut if they really want to take a pay cut to stay. Regardless, it doesn't appear that the Bucs asked McCoy to take a pay cut.

I disagree with that. I think they've been "asking him" for months. And that's why this is happening now after free agency has dried up and not back in March.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. At a cost that was clearly more than Tamp wanted to pay.

Not before he signs somewhere. Or it's leaked, no.

I disagree with that. I think they've been "asking him" for months. And that's why this is happening now after free agency has dried up and not back in March.

I've seen many reports that they waited on the cut because they thought they could trade him.

There are many reports that they did not ask him to take a pay cut.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...not-asked-gerald-mccoy-to-take-a-pay-cut/amp/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like there is a market for McCoy.

Word that both the Browns and Colts are interested. Both have lots of cap space.